Airplane physics question | Page 79 | FerrariChat

Airplane physics question

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by alanhenson, Dec 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Does the plane fly?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Question doesn't allow answer.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bonedoc

bonedoc Karting

Jul 31, 2004
    It's really simple, your WRONG.

I think people keep posting just to piss people off.

If "the plane wont move", how does a pontoon or ski plane take off? THEY DONT EVEN HAVE WHEELS. I suppose when the plane wants to descend and land, it just engages the wheel brakes?

The plane will fly and the wheels will be moving as fast as they usually do, plus the speed of the conveyor. It will take off as the propeller pulls it into lift off.

I suppose if you are saying the plane cant take off on a moving runway, it couldnt land on a moving runway either. If it did, it would come to an instant stop where it couldnt take off from in the first place.

I guess the whole concept of landing on an aircraft carrier would be out the door with this.

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    No wind. No air pressure. No lift. Won't fly.

3. bonedoc

bonedoc Karting

Jul 31, 2004
    The prop spinning = air pressure

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Let go.

Wax is just making trouble.

He knows that the plane took off months ago. :D

5. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Aye! "luminiferous aether", you might be on to something there. ;)

7. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Don't be so sure, as I don't think you have seriously studied the original question.

How can the wheels be moving at any given speed, PlUS the speed of the conveyor, if the conveyor is to MATCH the speed of the wheels? You have just violated a requirement of the original question.

It is pretty obvious to most people that the relative motion of the runway to the plane is irrelevant. A plane flies because of the wings relative motion to the air, not the landing gears relative motion to the runway (or water, or ice or whatever the plane is sitting on). However, that is not where the problem with the original question arises.

Re-read this part of the original question:

"The conveyor belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels at any given time, moving in the opposite direction of rotation"

Does this mean the conveyor matches the "rotational" or "linear" speed of the wheels?
    What does "moving in the opposite direction of rotation" really mean? The conveyor surface is generally considered to be moving in a linear fashion, not a "direction of rotation". If the conveyor simply moves along under the plane, matching the planes forward acceleration, then the wheels have no "rotation", so what speed is the conveyor " exactly matching" so as to satisfy the question? This is not a clearly worded question. It introduces contradictory, or unclear requirements.

"The plane flies" does not stand as an answer.

8. bonedoc

bonedoc Karting

Jul 31, 2004

It doesnt matter. The implications of the question are clear. Most people think wrongly that a plane cant take off because it is on a conveyor, but it will. I have seen planes take off when they are in storage on a runway here at cessna and a gust of wind picked them up off the ground. They werent moving. They werent running.

If you term the question as you say and the conveyor will match the wheel speed, the wheels would be spinning faster and faster until the plane is finally off the ground. The props will provide the wind, pull the plane, and the wheels will turn on the conveyor. When they conveyor catches up, the wheels will spin faster as the plane is still accelerating to takeoff. Its like the feedback in a microphone getting amplified.

I have friends that are engineers at cessna, boeing, learjet, raytheon/hawker/beachcraft, and bombarier. They all said it would fly about 5 years ago. I agree with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ul_5DtMLhc&feature=related

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
  10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It won't fly..think about it...Just for a second.. The plane a stationary no matter what amount of throttle you apply.She just won't move.

Mythbusters show you can throw into the trash, regarding this one.

11. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    But this thread is only 4 years old, and it's an important part of Wax's C.V!

12. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Necromancer card?

13. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    "If "the plane wont move", how does a pontoon or ski plane take off? THEY DONT EVEN HAVE WHEELS. I suppose when the plane wants to descend and land, it just engages the wheel brakes?"

They don't need wheels, they just need thrust. How do you think a rocket flies?

"The plane will fly and the wheels will be moving as fast as they usually do, plus the speed of the conveyor. It will take off as the propeller pulls it into lift off."

The OP said nothing about a propeller or even an engine running.

"It's really simple, your WRONG.I think people keep posting just to piss people off."

Me thinks you've made a fool of yourself! No insult intended.........well, maybe just a little! ;)

14. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Ditto, I think bonedoc didn't fully read the OP's question, or understand it.

15. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    Ditto Ditto, put simply the question states:
    "If the plane is stationary will it take off?"

Other questions similar to this one ask:
    "If the plane is on a moving conveyor will it take off?"

Its all in the wording and I think this version has either been written with some thought, or they "got it wrong" - all good fun though. :)

16. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    People who attempt to answer the question fall under 1 of 5 categories:

1) just doesn't get the simple concept of flight and says "No, plane won't fly"
    2) gets "it", and thinks anyone who disagrees falls under category 1
    3) gets "it", but doesn't think plane flies due to factors like friction and conveyor acceleration
    4) truly gets "it" at a fundamental level and discounts friction and other forces
    5) actually read the question and realize the flaw in the wording

17. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    6) Those that don't answer [like me] and fall into the category of categorizing the answers, like you...shoot, does this count as an answer?...then there is a #7

18. ski_bum

ski_bum Formula 3

Dec 26, 2002
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I changed my original opinion and believe the plane may fly.

The conditions stated in the original posting:

No wind. Thus no airflow to lift plane.

Conveyor is as long and wide as a runway. So the plane has enough room to takeoff.

Plane is on the beginning of the belt. Now which side is 'beginning'? With no wind, this should not matter, unless you postion plane so it's 'hanging ten'. But if the plane 'intends to takeoff' it should be facing the full length of the runway.

Intends to takeoff. Kind of hard to take off without a means of locomotion. Prop, jet, rubber bands....

Not stated, but the wheels of a plane are not driven. If they were then plane would get to takeoff speed, lift, drop back down after losing speed, lift, drop back down, lift....

So there are 3 possible states the wheels can move.

1) Forward movement, so belt is moving backwards. Depending upon which camp you belong to, it flys or won't fly. Wheel speed, friction, gearing, airflow, laws of physics.....

2) Backward movement, so the belt is moving forward. Backward flying plane????

3) Zero movement. If the wheels are locked and not rolling, the belt speed is also zero. But if enough thrust is generated, the wheels will skid down the runway/belt until

a) pneumatic tires may blow, which may crash the plane.
    b) solid tires get flatspotted, if it flys apart may crash the plane

but if tires survive, or remaining landing gear supports keeps plane semi-straight (lots of sparks and runway/belt repairs) the plane can get enough airflow to cause it to fly.

Landing with bad/broken tires...well that's another conundrum.

(flame suit on)

19. Pranucci

Pranucci Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    Carpinteria, CA
    C'mon, almost to 100 pages!

20. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    THIS THREAD IS DEAD!! :rolleyes:

21. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    = wheels moving at a different "speed" to the belt - so this state is not allowed by the wording of question.

= wheels moving at a different "speed" to the belt - so this state is not allowed by the wording of question.

= stationary wheels / moving belt - wheels moving at a different "speed" to the belt - so this state is not allowed by the wording of question.

I suggest:

4) Zero movement. If the wheels spin, being driven by the belt, at the same "speed" as the belt then the plane stays stationary to the air and hence can generate no lift therefore it won't takeoff. As soon as the pilot applies the external force of thrust from the engines the plane will move and takeoff but will no longer be within the limits of the (flawed) question, hence it cant takeoff whilst staying within those limits.

Come on everyone, 100 pages here we come :)

22. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    I reread the OP question again, and it is indeed flawed, a trick question.

23. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #1973 SonomaRik, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
    flawed question: but here goes: WILL NOT FLY.

no lift due to differenctial in pressure. basically no movement from the plane or from wind across its wings.

that's why on the carrier, we use cats, and make a wind differential by a couple point off the stb. bow. we can launch CODs via just a take-off, dead full throttle off the stern, but if not enought wind [air differential pressure] accross the wings, they'll get CAT'd too.

The OP stated NO WIND on the treadmill. and bascially it would be like having the plane on the mill standing still. [now I'll sleep and change my answer tom. but for now correct]

Reasons I give is that the question is flawed here: Does not give the wing specs or the treadmill speed, which between the two can determine the lift coeff.

IF one stood on a cliff, holding toothpick in each hand outward [wings spread] and now movement or wind how much lift would it take to make you fly [flawed visual right?]
    now same person, with wings the size of Texas on each arm, outwards, and about the weight of, say, two ozs. then 'perhaps' a slight movement differntial might lift him, but doubt it still. So, the question is flawed.....just can't say either way but the bottom line seems to be NO LIFT.

and, to rest anyone's mind: Good thing I gave up my pilot's license....scares the hell out of me at times...that's no way to fly even with a good glide ratio.

24. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    That is correct, Sir. And why the plane will not fly.

There's a REASON a certain physics board has 4 separate threads on this basic premise, each having a slightly different scenario.

Search for: airplane
    http://www.physforum.com/index.php?showforum=20

On FerrariChat, there is but 1 thread, and it is flawed from the beginning, thereby preventing flight.

25. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    It is like asking: "Can God make a rock so large that he cannot pick it up?"