A few 360 Techincal problems... | FerrariChat

A few 360 Techincal problems...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Scott_360M_F1, Oct 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scott_360M_F1

Scott_360M_F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2009
    Hi guys - I'm new here and bought a 360 modena a few weeks ago. Now, I bought the car at a rock bottom price knowing it needs a bit of TLC. I thought about it long and hard and did some research, my thinking is that I'd rather buy a car with a few issues for a great price, than buy a top dollar car only to find that it has numerous failures over my intended 3-4 years of ownership. At least after I have done the work needed on my car, I know what has been done and not done - so I can be confident that my car is ok. The car still has full Ferrari service history - I think that the previous owner just needed the cash out of the car.

So after all that, the previous owner admitted to having jump started the car recently. I have found that the dash lights have blown and have ordered the replacement lighting panel (and some CS dials to do at the same time).

The other problems that I have are:
    1) ABS and ASR warnings lights on - although when the car self checks on start up it clears the ASR as working fine.
    2) Airbag light cosntantly on - is this just a result of the jump start and a failing battery?
    3) The alarm LED is constantly FLASHING - not constantly lit as per research shows on the failing of the Siren batteries - can anybody shed some light on this please?

Thanks for any help - look forward to be a contributing member of this forum.

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Good luck with this Scott. My guess is that this will be the most expensive car you have ever owned. The repair costs can be HUGE and you have listed several things that are already into the SD2 territory so you are looking for professional help.

3. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think "jump starting a Ferrari" is a myth. It's just a car. I don't see how jump starting would blow out lights or cause other electrical problems. Maybe others know more than I?

4. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #4 swilliams, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
    Not sure about other Ferrari's but the 360s don't have a small fuse going to the dashcluster to block voltage spikes and that has screwed up many, many 360 dash clusters. Its no myth.

Abs and asr you will need sd scanner to find out what is going on. If he hooked the jumper cables up backwards then it could have killed the abs computer and the airbag computer.

My first step would be to get it scanned by a proper scanner (sd2 or sd3 I think). I could just be a reset of the airbag and a simple abs sensor.

Alarm light is no biggie, just buy a new unit from ricambi a site sponsor here, they are around $300 I think.

Good luck

5. Scott_360M_F1

Scott_360M_F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2009
    Thanks for all this.

On the dash panel - I have ordered a replacement unit although I haven't yet checked the fuses. It seems the Ferrari uses some kind of flourescent back panel with a AC transformer. I plan to replace the tacho with a yellow one at the same time - or probably change over to complete CS dials.

On the ASR/ABS I would have thought that when I start the car the display wouldn't say 'ASR Check OK' if the relative ECU's were blown would it? correct me if I am wrong. I agree though it needs hooking up to SD2/3.

Looking into the airbag light, it would seem that this light sometimes comes on to indicate a flat or failing battery? - so I suspect that this is why this one is on - or maybe an airbag sensor or pre-tensioner.

When you say 'buy a new unit' do you mean the Alarm Siren unit (Part no. 177148)?

At the end of the day it is only a car - it drives perfectly so I doubt that they are catastrophic failures.

6. Schumi76

Schumi76 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2006
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marco
    At the end of the day it is only a car ??? I wish you were right ..........
    You got a sexy and beatiful italian beast there who needs a lot of attention and love.
    You will find out what I mean by that. ;-) Keep us posted !!!

7. Scott_360M_F1

Scott_360M_F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2009
    #7 Scott_360M_F1, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
    Don't get me wrong mate, it is a sexy and beautiful italian beast to be sure and I am a very proud owner, it will get plenty of tlc - all I am saying is that it is a car, and therefore a degree of mechanical and/or electrical logic prevails - i.e. a warning light = a signal from a failed sensor = replace or repair the said part.

For me the fun is to rise to the various challenges the car will throw at me and in doing so learn as much as I can about how the car works.

anyway - back to topic - any more ideas on these faults guys?

8. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    #8 rustybits, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
    There's no Myth here. If the car has been jump started it could well have trashed the airbag e.c.u. The only way to know for sure is a hook up to an SD machine, if it comunicates still it will clear the code and that will be the end of the story. If the diag won't comunicate with it it's new e.c.u time. As for the asr issue, it could be a few things early cars had issues with the e.c.u which is built in to the abs pump (expensive) it's an old Ferrari campaign which mostly has been carried out, but a few have slipped the net; or lack of fluid changes can lead to gunk seeping out of the unit, again, it will be trashed. If you remove the panel in the luggage compartment below the bulkhead the ABS unit is clearly visable. Remove the multiplug and check for green/corroded pins, if this is the case a clean with some contact spray and a reset of the e.c.u often cures it. Flashing alarm L.e.d is likey to be a knackered alarm battery, a search of this site will yield many posts relating to this issue.Good luck!

9. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    That car is going to pop your cherry.....;-) It ain't that simple, wish it was as they can make the best in the business scratch their head, ask "any" consultant who owns or works at a Ferrari shop on this board.

10. flipdowt

flipdowt Karting

Dec 13, 2008
    Mahopac,New York
    Full Name:
    John Flip
    i made the same mistake by jump starting/changing the battery. asr and air bag light stayed on so i shut off battery cut off switch in luggage compartment overnight and the asr cleared but the airbag light had to be reset with an sd2. thank god the instrument cluster didn't blow out

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #11 tazandjan, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Scott- Try this fairly simple way to clear the ECUs and see if it works. Cannot hurt to try and the procedure will not hurt your car. Use the battery disconnect switch. If this does not clear the ECU codes, then you need help from a pro.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    yup

yup, for starters, but thinking you will need SD Pro help on this to make it more simple.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rik- Affirmative. Eddie is a pro who really knows his stuff. I believe him on whatever he says.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

14. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    A car with problems can have gremlins. Suppose it was not the "reported" jump start that trashed the instrument pod? You don't really know if the car had been jump started. You have something wrong and a claimed explination that makes it seem something that you can easily avoid in the future.

Suppose you put a new pod in with yellow tach (CS pod will not work) and after three days the new pod goes dark. Now what? Look at a diagram of fuses (there are fuses behind the seats, under the hood, in the engine bay... ) and know that back engineering a problem will be difficult.

Look, the car can be expensive. I accepted that, after spending a huge sum the car could cost more just to keep in running shape. With a little bad luck it can costs lots. A switch failure on the spider top mechinism cost me several thousand dollars and four months without the car. I once took it in for an oil change and they did over $4000 in fluids, claiming the manual required it all. I got about a grand back (free fluids!!) but the oil change was supposed to be in the $900 range, not the three thousand dollar range.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Doug- There is no way there is $4000 in fluids in a Ferrari. You would be hard pressed to pull the engine and transmission, only change the fluids, and run up a $4000 bill.

Fixing an instrument panel with the lighting burned out is $500 plus R&R and shipping, maybe $1500 total.

You have been ripped off. Find another shop to service your car.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

16. Stew

Stew Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Scott,

First of all good luck with your new car.

The alarm issue is solved in a couple of ways. You can buy the siren unit and install it yourself or you can replace the batteries in the old unit with a new 9 volt rechargable
    battery. Many of us here have done the battery replacement. Search on Fchat and you will find some good posts with pictures on how to replace the siren battery.

Regards,

Stew

17. Scott_360M_F1

Scott_360M_F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2009
    Thanks mate - I have researched and found the relevant threads on this, but my light is constantly FLASHING as opposed to constantly LIT, so I wasn't sure if it was the same fix? I've read through the threads and I plan to look at it when I get back to the uk. If my pcb is in good condition then I will do the battery fix, otherwise I'll order a new unit. FIX 1.!

I've also ordered a new lighting panel from ebay $255 - so will fix that one too at Christmas. FIX 2.!

I'll try the method above for resetting the ecu's as well and see what happens!

Cheers for all the help so far guys

18. Scott_360M_F1

Scott_360M_F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2009
    #18 Scott_360M_F1, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1 Ive had oil, transaxle, coolant, brake and power steering fluids in my 430 replaced by dealer for less than 1K and that price included other odds and ends.

Dave

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #20 Rifledriver, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    Tell that to the 360 owner who just spent $12000 here diagnosing and replacing blown electronic components from doing that.

You are correct, others do know more and should be the ones dispensing advice.

Sadly many of his symptoms mirror the symptoms of the OP's car. Makes me wonder if the previous owner didn't already have the car to a shop for an estimate.

Ther are no cheap Ferraris.

21. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Great tag line Brian ;-)

22. Scott_360M_F1

Scott_360M_F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2009
    Who is the said owner mate?

23. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #23 RayJohns, Oct 31, 2009
    In the future, if you do need to "jump" the 360, here is how to go about it. First, disconnect the power between the battery and the car using the master kill switch in the front compartment. Once this has been done, then connect a charger to the battery (which is now isolated) and recharge it (or replace the battery with a new one). Remove the charger from the battery. Then turn the master switch back on.

Where people get into problems is just attaching a charger to the battery with the car "live".

Always wear protective goggles when working with any battery (due to the risk of explosion). Batteries can give off hydrogen gas in some cases.

Also, when charging any battery, always remember the motto "Never leave the ground alone". This will help you connect and disconnect the charging wires in the correct order. Hot first, then ground second. Remove the ground first, then the hot last.

On the 360 (and probably other Ferraris), you are dealing with very sensitive and expensive electronics. Suddenly adding 10 or 50 unregulated amps into any circuit from a battery charger is never a smart thing to do when dealing with IC's or ECU's, etc. Especially very costly ones made in Italy.

Turn off the master power switch when dealing with the battery on the 360. That will save you a lot of headaches.

Ray

24. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ther are no cheap Ferraris.[/QUOTE]

People contemplating a Ferrari purchase should be required to write this on a chalk board 500 times before starting their search.

Dave

25. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #25 Doug_S, Oct 31, 2009
    YOu're right. I totally forgot that a hinge in the soft top/cover mechinism had broken and the hinge alone cost $2500. My principle point is I truly thought all the car needed that year was an oil change and adjust the soft top cover. They phoned me about the hinge and I said replace it. When I went to pick up the car they had misunderstood my annual maintence as not just oil but tranny, coolent, break flush. That plus the hinge got me a $4,000 bill. Boy was I surprised. Since I did all the fluids the year before at the same shop they took the tranny and maybe the breaks off the tab.

The parts are stupidly expensive. Have you ever looked at the dealer price for a replacement ashtray? or a cabin air filter?