92tr 6k mi. VS 94 w/20k help. | FerrariChat

92tr 6k mi. VS 94 w/20k help.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by DanielG, Oct 31, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I could use some help, sooner than later. I 'am in the market for a 512TR red. My current choices are 94 with 20,000 miles, needs major service,red /black interior great car ,great history period.
    Second car is a 92r with 6,000 miles, major service last year, red / tan, great car, great history.
    Both the same price.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i just bought an immaculate 16K miles 94 512tr in red/tan. what price point are you at ballpark and ill let u know what i think as a function of my DD and my purchase.

3. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I'll PM you details

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    for the sake of the forum, i wld go with the 94 given the info u provided. 20K miles is nothing on a car thats 15 yrs old and the 94 will have the updates as well as ABS and i believe the production number for 94 512tr is ultra low. Good luck with the hunt!

6. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    thanks again for your help

7. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #7 Mr.Chairman, Nov 1, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
    I would go with the 92 w/6,000 miles. Major service was just done and you can get in and go. The 94 needs a service so your buying a car and spending money right off the bat. What if some other issues arise during the service. How is the clutch, brakes, etc. The 92 seems more attractive to me.. You could drive the 92 much more and it would take some years to reach 20,000 on the odometer and you would not be hurting the value. JMO

R

8. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Daniel,
    Both of these are 15+ yr old cars. 04 may be the last year of 512TR (exception of the M),94s are probably little more updated running gear and all, less produced and so on, but theoretically 92 MY 6k mi car should have less wear n tear, less rock chips, less wear on the interior etc. etc. Having said that no two 6k mi cars are in the same condition after a decade.
    My suggestion to you would be buy the one that feels and looks less used, and the only way to determine that physically see and drive both cars.
    Thats my 2¢ worth.
    S

9. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    92 with 6K would be my choice (just as long the condition on both is the same) 94 may have updated diff, but if your not going to beat the sh?t out of it, it wont matter. Choices, choices. Nice problem to have :) Good Luck

10. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
    I never liked the ABS Ferrari's brakes of that era(felt funny). It is just one more thing to go wrong and costs alot of $$$ to repair. I am not aware of any other mechanical differnces. I would get the 6k mile car with no ABS if is is nice.

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    well thats why there is a market for everything!

no issues with the ABS on my 94 so far....

12. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #12 geno berns, Nov 1, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
    The 6K miles vs. the 20K miles premium out ways the premium associated with year difference. Now toss in the $15K bonus in the major the 1992 car recently had and it's a no brainer!

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    fwiw the major for the 512tr is 7200, not 15000.

14. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    On an old car like a 512 TR during a major, you'll find major stuff to attend to where "since we are there" mentality kicks in. The cost grows...

15. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    thanks for al the input, I will go this week to look at both. I'll keep you updated.
    Thanks again
    Daniel

16. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    If your going to drive it then buy the one with miles. If your going purchase in hopes of appreciation the buy the low milage example. Ferrari 512TR with mileage hurt the future appreciation as there are so many low mileage examples.

17. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    If you don't want to spend a lot of money for a nex tranny...go for the 94...

18. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Those were my thoughts. Not that you'd NEED a new tranny on the 92, but the risk is higher. I'd negotiate to get the 94 with the major included from the dealer. You're in a good position to do that given the scarcity of cash buyers out there.

Another wise poster said to look at the condition overall to help you determine. I've seen some low mile cars pale in comparions to their well-loved, higher mile brethren.

19. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    ~what he said...

20. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    A 92-93 512TR diff can be more prone to breaking and there are updated parts to make them bullet proof, but in all honesty and trust me I searched and searched, I have not seen allot of 512TR diff casing breaking. Just my conclusion on this, there might have been a batch of 512TR or TR diff casings that where made where the heat effect zone of the weld got too hot and brittle which is the failure of the diff when torqued on. Not saying this is fact, but the amount of 512TRs made and the amount of Diff failures is minute. One thing you can do is worry yourself to death on these cars where they are no fun to drive anymore. Things on it are going to break. Just be prepared to know where to go to get them fixed and keep yourself educated. These are not hard to maintain and if you find a good shop guy you could get your majors done in about 3-4 days easy for around $5K or so plus parts.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    any update on the hunt?

22. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    yep....I purchased the 94TR with 20k on the odometer. Flew to Orange county on friday and met Jack B. at Ferrari Tech and had a PPI done. Jack is great, the car is as nice as he said, we worked out a deal, wrote a check on the spot. I left the car with Larry at Ferrari tech for the service and I will pick it up in a few weeks.
    Daniel
    Thanks again for advice

23. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    congrats, use it in good health

24. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Congratulations in a big way. Photos required! (We even want photos of the service; yes, it has gotten that bad.) Let us know any details of the car.

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    big congrats...best of luck with it!