Saturday was a fun day | FerrariChat

Saturday was a fun day

Discussion in '308/328' started by klatu, Nov 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. klatu

klatu Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Mckinney
    Last Saturday, Halloween, I went to my hangar where I keep my baby, she lives under the

wing of her big sister, a 1955 Cessna 170b. I pulled her outside

so I could do some work on the electrical wiring in the hangar. Some of my buddies were

there when I pulled it out, it is an 81 308 GTSi red of course, and Joe, who is 65, and

drives a Mini Cooper, came over and asked for a ride. Since sharing my beautiful Fcar is

one of my favorite pass times we boarded and took off for a short 20 min sortie, It is hard

to find any excitement on SoCa freeways, but we managed to get to 80 mph and accelerate

through the gears. As it turns out, there are not many Fcars around Lakeside, CA. and

most of these guys have never been up close to one. He liked the smoothness

and quietness of the Fcar, he said his Mini was very noisy. As soon as we pulled up the

hangar Ronnie walks up and said he wanted to be the next victim. He is in his middle 30s

and is an off road racer. Half way through the ride he commented, "I really like this car".

Yeah me too. I drive over the same little course each time, there is one on ramp that's

pretty good, it's a 270, diminishing radius that's banked a little. With a little speed and

acceleration, you get a real feeling of gravity in you butt. Arriving back at the hangar I'm

greeted by my next victim, Dick, Dick is 74 and retired from Ryan Aircraft and flies his home

buildt. He drives a late model Volvo. He was impressed by the torquey ness in 5th gear.

Upon returning again I was met by Rob, in his early 50s, he's a consultant for construction

conflicts and flies a late model Mooney. Rob was an instructor for some BMW racing school

and this was his first ride in an Fcar.

This was the most enjoble 2 hrs I have spent in a long time. All were impressed with the

ride, and the smoothness, not to mention the smiles

from people we passed.

It was a good day.

Rob

2. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    Right on.

It is great that you share your car like that.

I wish I would have been there for a ride. :D

3. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Tail dragger....nice. Knew a guy in Alaska put a 182 engine in a 170b. Screwed with the CG too much for my taste. Thing looked like it was gonna fall on it's nose on short final.

Pictures of the Ferrari and Cessna together?

4. klatu

klatu Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Mckinney
    The consultant in my story took some pix, and I will have them this Saturday. I will post them when I get them.

Rob

5. klatu

klatu Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Mckinney
    #5 klatu, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. CaptOharry

CaptOharry Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2009