550 key fob | FerrariChat

550 key fob

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by broomhilda, Nov 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. broomhilda

broomhilda Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I just replaced the battery on my black key fob. No problem.

Has anyone replaced the battery on the RED key fob ? Same easy procedure as the black fob ?

I do not wish to scew up the red one that is the master programmer .

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The reds special job is done the day the car was built. Treat it like the rest because it is.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    BH- Brian is correct. No difference except the red alarm fob has the PIN in it. Internally, they are identical except the black fobs do not have the PIN programmed into them. All three fobs have individual IDs programmed into them.

The only other time you would need that PIN in the red fob is if you lose or break a black fob. Then the red fob can be used to program your Alarm ECU to accept itself (again) and any two operational black fobs of the correct frequency (433 Mhz).

During normal operations, the Alarm ECU does not use the PIN, even if you use the red alarm fob to disarm the alarm and immobilizer. In day to day use, the ECU only uses the ID programmed into each alarm fob.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

4. broomhilda

broomhilda Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Many thanks

5. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    How often should they be replaced ? Thanks

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bill- The factory recommends every 6 months, and, if you drove it every day, that is probably a good recommendation. For most Ferraris, that is probably overkill, but that is what they recommend.

You can buy the batteries cheaply on the internet or at a good electrical supply store. Radio Shack carries them, as well.

They are 23A/A23/MN21 12 volt batteries, depending on manufacturer, and look like shortened AAA batteries. I prefer the Duracell MN21 because I have never had a Duracell battery leak. Leaking may even be why the change interval is so low. A pants pocket is not exactly a benign environment, especially in some parts of the country.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

7. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    Depends on whose hands are in there

8. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Don't think mine have been changed for awhile .....will check them now.
    Bill

9. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Hmm. I have three and rotate their use through the random selection process. I understand that it's not necessarily apples to apples but the flashlight built into the key on my 1991 BMW was still working when I sold it last year. The fob on my 1999 Dodge has never had its battery replaced. Both cars were daily drivers. Changing a battery on a fob every six months would seem like changing timing belts every six weeks to me.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    David- Apples to oranges. The batteries in the Ferraris are 12 volt alkalines and most of the the others use lithium watch batteries, like the ones I recently swapped out in my mother's Buick. CR 2032, if I remember correctly.The Ferrari fobs are old technology and were introduced with the 355. Ferrari changed to Lithium batteries with the 612 and later cars.

When I received my car with only one black fob (since remedied by Boardwalk), the remote would not open the doors and was barely strong enough to disarm the immobilizer. New battery and everything was fine. Use your own judgement, just as you do on any maintenance on your Ferrari. I change mine once a year.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

11. bobwass

bobwass Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bob Wass
    taz, what do you mean - 'remedied by boardwalk'?

12. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #12 2000 456M, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    I'm pretty sure he means that he got a replacement at the dealer, Boardwalk Ferrari in Plano, TX.

13. bobwass

bobwass Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bob Wass
    oh, i'm still looking for someone to clone my fob. i have one fob and a replacement from gt parts, but don't have the pin. dealer doesn't have the pin and they called ferrari na, and they didn't have the pin!!!!

anyone know someone who can clone the eeprom?

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132424&highlight=pin+number

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The PIN will do you no good in that endeavor. The PIN ONLY allows reprogramming of the immobilizer in the car and that reprogramming needs to be carried out by the red fob. The car will ONLY react to ONE MATCHED set of fobs. There is no way to get the car to accept a mismatched set.

What you need is someone who can modify your replacement fobs to transmit the same code or information the original one does.

15. bobwass

bobwass Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bob Wass
    by gosh by golly gee whiz mr. rifledriver sir, that's exactly what i'm looking for: any ideas who this person is?

16. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ever try searching? there are lots of threads about this very thing

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #17 tazandjan, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    Bob- Here you go. Should answer all your questions.

I had my original PIN and one black fob. Boardwalk provided me a new set of three fobs with a new PIN as part of the purchase deal. I reprogrammed the Alarm ECU to accept the new set of fobs.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132424

Taz
    Terry Phillips