Toyota decision made...... | FerrariChat

Toyota decision made......

Discussion in 'F1' started by Wolfgang5150, Nov 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Decision about Toyota's F1 future has been made already, announcement imminent
    November 3 2009

We hear from good sources that we may not even have to wait for Toyota's withdrawal announcement in the conference of the 8th November. It is a shock even for us that the announcement may even happen in hours, maybe late tomorrow... But it's logical, given the decision period is now over.

We have heard that in fact people from the team have started sending their CV's...

That is because the decision about Toyota's F1 future has been made already. The only question is when it will be announced, and we cannot fully confirm -yet- if it will be -leaked or announced- before or during the press conference of Sunday.

Updates and more detailed info to come very soon!

On a final note, it is very sad that the Hinwil workers (Sauber's factory in Switzerland) are saved by a situation very similar to what happened in from the 29th of July. Hopefully Toyota will re-focus those jobs into other areas such as...Le Mans?

http://www.f1network.net/main/s491/st151273.htm

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Sad news.

More importantly. Where does this leave USF1 now that their slot is no longer as valuable?

3. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Also I have read news that Bridgestone is to quit Formula 1..

4. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Wasn't it suggested that it's almost cheaper to run the team than break the Concorde agreement?

Some serious lack of foresight here, but no surprise as this is easily the worst run team on the grid.

Max has GOT to be laughing as he leaves.

5. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I don't know about laughing but I visualize him fiddling while F1 burns.

6. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Max hated John Howett from Toyota...

So...

Howett: Gone
    Flavio: Gone
    Ron Dennis: Gone*
    Luca: Still there

3 out of 4 ain't bad... of course he eviscerated F1 in the process, but that doesn't likely matter

*Ron Dennis is already back. I am pretty confident Flavio will be back some day. Luca ain't going anywhere, and John Howett will likely land on his feet in F1 in the future or somewhere else.

So in the end, Max won nothing and his legacy is in tatters, just like his dignity after hooker-gate.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sad to see them leave.

Hopefully somebody will pick up KOBAYASHI!

Happy to see Sauber back on the grid for sure now.

And finally: Waiting for another Toyota auction where we can buy cheap bits and pieces. Maybe.

8. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
  9. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Mike you left out Jean Todt who is back as well.
    For better or for worse remains to be seen.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  11. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    It will be interesting to see if it is one of the "normal" players (Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli) or a relatively unknown that sees F1 as a legitimizing of their market standing.

Jeff

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Exactly. Given how expensive it is to do this, I can only imagine a relative young company doing this as a global marketing exercise. What prestige can a big player gain from a non competitive situation?

13. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Is anyone surprised?

14. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The non-competitive situation was probably a lot better financially. All the exposure, no benchmark for comparision to the outside world, development at a pace that the company can decide on. From a stress level no hearing different teams complain how a tire doesn't work with their chassis so the tire needs to be different.

Jeff

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Toyota's decision is 5 years late. I could've saved them money if I ran that place by killing it sooner...

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I am.

I always thought it was a 50/50 call and the spirited drive from Kobayashi was promising. The car was never better than this year and the economy is getting over the recession, so yes, why not carry on?

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    In one respect being a single supplier has no upside.
    When things go well no one credits the tires. They're only noticed when they fail.

18. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Any bets that Sauber may not get Toyota's slot, if they don't agree to Cossies?

At the rate F1 is burning its bridges, my guess is that Bridgestone might be replaced by, say, Kelly-Springfield. :rolleyes:

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The upside is name recognition and using F1 as a platform and as your credentials for advertising.

Plus it is cool to say "We're world champions! Again. And again. And will be next year and the year thereafter..."

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    What have the cossies got to do with anyhing?

I take that bet. Sauber will get Toyota's slot and will not use a cossie. I'm still looking for a beer provider in 2011...

21. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Why was Toyota in F1? Made no sense from a Brand POV. The only logical answer was to avoid being shown up by Honda. Once Honda left, toyota had no reason to be there...

I'm not the least bit suprised they left.

22. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Exposure is of course the biggest pay-off. But it can be a two edged sword.
    I find it hard to believe that a tire maker without a competition track record would be allowed to just step into F1.

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Agreed. Toyota doesn't even make sports cars so it made no sense. The Supra ended production back in Japan in 2002 and there wasn't even a replacement for it (which is planned many years in advance). At least Honda had S2000 during its time in F1.

24. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    See the article on the typical smoke surrounding the new entrants and N1 Technology's suit against the FIA regarding their alleged (and likely) requirement of the new teams to use Cossie's.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #25 tifosi12, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    Yes, but Sauber inherits Toyota's slot, which is not related to a new team.

Unless you want to look at them entirely as a new team, which is kinda ridiculous. Then again it is the FIA we're dealing with...

I thought the point of the cossies was to give the poor teams a cheap engine solution. Sauber doesn't need that and with Williams on board, Cosworth has now probably enough customers anyway.