ROC Beijing 2009 | FerrariChat

ROC Beijing 2009

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Latsyrc, Nov 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    #1 Latsyrc, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    http://www.raceofchampions.com/

I'm happy to see Pastrana, TK, and a bunch of others, disappointed to see Foust, betting on Germany/Shumi/Vettel. Looks like it will be broadcast over the web.

2. HoYin

HoYin Karting

Apr 18, 2006
    HK-Van
    Full Name:
    Allan
    watching this on eurosport live
    germany is 4 outta 4 right now

3. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

The Old guy has still got it (and his young team mate is not so bad also).. :)

3rd year running for Schumi and Seb !!

How good it is to see that winning smile on Schumi's face again !! made it even more sweet to beat the current F1 champ in the final !!

Good luck for tomorrow in ROC boys !!!

free stream can be found here - http://freecaster.tv

4. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I missed the original broadcast but found a copy for download and finally got to watch all of it. :)

Pretty entertaining this year with all the issues with the cars. Grats to Germany and a good showing by the USA. I have to admit, Foust did pretty good...now if we could just work on his personality. :D I've always liked Priaulx so I'm glad he did pretty good.

Should be an interesting day tomorrow!

5. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    I knew those Audi guys were good ! ! ! !

Carol

Double DTM titleholder Mattias Ekstrom has won his third Race of Champions crown at Beijing's Bird's Nest Stadium today, beating out seven-time F1 champion Michael Schumacher in the final.

On his way to the title, Ekstrom won his group over triple World Touring Car champion Andy Priaulx, five-time Moto GP champion Mick Doohan and multiple X-Games gold medallist Travis Pastrana. He then bettered eight-time Le Mans winner Tom Kristensen in the quarter finals and came out ahead of reigning F1 champion Jenson Button in the semi-finals.

The Swedish driver took a very close victory on Schumacher during the first round at the wheel of a 170-horsepower buggy, but his win on the second round was only slightly more decisive at the controls of a 240-horsepower KTM buggy when he completed the course a half-second ahead.

Ekstrom had taken victory at the 2006 and 2007 editions of the Race of Champions, and now adds the 2009 honours to his list while Schumacher once again sees the elusive ROC title slip away.

"It's amazing," Ekstrom gushed. "I didn't win it last year so to beat Michael Schumacher in the final now is extremely nice."

Ekstrom put his continuing success at the Race of Champions down to his upbringing: "I was born in the countryside in Sweden and drove lots of different cars as a boy, plus I've also had the pleasure of racing a lot of good touring cars, sportscars and rally cars. That is what makes the difference for me."

Schumacher said: "It has been a nice event, all in all, as always. It has the right mixture of seriousness behind the wheel and a relaxed atmosphere in which to meet some good guys."

Button reached the semi-finals, having won his group and beaten compatriot Andy Priaulx in the quarter finals.

The man who was runner-up to Button in the F1 World Championship, Sebastian Vettel, also reached the penultimate round but lost to his countryman Schumacher.

Ekstron now holds three ROC crowns but retired World Rally Champion Didier Auriol holds the Race of Champions record with four titles to his name (1993, 1994, 1996 and 1999). The only Formula One driver to have come out on top is Heikki Kovalainen, who won the 'Champion of Champions' crown in 2004.

6. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Ya it was good to see an Audi guy win! :) Would like to have seen Pastrana do better, though. Pretty exciting this year with a lot of repairs. :)

7. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    It was a fantastic event. I was there. Vettel crashed right in front of me and hoped on Schumi's car 2 metres from where I was standing.

However fast you think it is on TV, it is much much faster in real life. These guys are 110% and don't let the smiles fool you - they are all deadly serious about winning.

Schumi's racing suit was deadly cool

8. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    That would be awesome to attend! How loud was it? Any pics? :D