Which teams will be on top in 2010? | FerrariChat

Which teams will be on top in 2010?

Discussion in 'F1' started by SRT Mike, Nov 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    This ought to be an interesting topic :)

People will say Red Bull, Brawn, etc, but bear in mind that not everyone can be top dog - for some to move up, others have to fall back.

So the teams we have:

McLaren
    Ferrari
    Red Bull
    BrawnGP
    Renault
    Toyota (or whoever they morph into)
    STR
    Force India
    Sauber
    Williams
    Lotus
    USF1
    Manor
    CamposMeta

Obviously one of them can't be on the grid next year, and I say it will be USF1.

I think Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari will be fighting for wins next year. I think whichever of the new teams make the grid will be at the back. I think Force India will move up a bit. I think Williams will fall further back than they are now. I think Toyota (or whever they are in '10) will fall back quite a bit. I think STR will probably remain roughly where they are. I think Brawn will fall back a bit, maybe in roughly the spot that Toyota is in this past year, just behind McLaren, Ferrari and Red Bull. Assuming Sauber makes the grid, I think they will be roughly on par with Force India, maybe even nipping at STR.

So my pecking order would be

McLaren
    Ferrari
    Red Bull
    BrawnGP
    Renault
    STR
    Sauber
    Toyota (or whoever they morph into)
    Force India
    Williams
    Lotus
    Manor
    CamposMeta
    USF1 (in the parking lot)

What do you think?

2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Without testing its all going to come down to Computer design, simulations, experience of the designer, and core strength of the team.
    Also their seriousness about F1.
    As such Ferrari and Mclaren have the best chance yet once again.
    Newey at Red Bull and the momentum they have built will carry them along.
    Ross and the HONDA team will go down a notch or two as they blew their wad this year both financially and development wise.
    As much as I like Williams I think they are in it for the money and you cant make a lot "throwing it away" on development.
    Force India; every once in awhile a blind hog finds an acorn. They found it in 09.
    Renault will resurge but there is alot of damage control going on there. But without that Btard Alonso no WCC. Perhaps finishing fourth.
    Cant say anything about the new teams as I dont know squat about them.

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just my 'horse sense'

1. Brawn
    2. Red Bull
    3. McLaren

Hope I'm wrong.... would love Ferrari to be back on top.

4. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Mclaren
    Red Bull
    Ferrari

Brawn will be mid pack at best

5. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Alonso's team !! Although Massa will be the champ haha...

6. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Ferrari
    McLaren
    Red Bull

I think the larger fuel tanks will cause problems for the smaller teams in terms of development....

7. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    1 Mclaren through their improved performance in the second half of this year convince me that they will be the force to be reckoned with in 2010, especially if they pair "the ego" with Kimi. History says Mclaren are never out of contention for very long.

2 Red Bull were arguably the most consistent team in 2009 for mine and they will likely remain near the top of the tree in 2010. A terrific driver pairing and equally great car/race development team should guaranty them continued success.

3/4 Brawn's great success in 2009 came in the off season where they managed to develop a car far superior than everyone else thus allowing them to launch an early and ultimately insurmountable lead. This advantage was slowly lost over the course of the year albeit never completely. The pairing of Button & Rosberg should work extremely well but it will be difficult to make a repeat of their success in 2010.

3/4 Ferrari. I still find it strange that Ferrari stopped development of this year's car so early given the rule changes next year seem fairly minimal and any gains this year would likely have equaled advances next year. Anyway I am sure they had their reasons. The Alonso/Massa pairing should be interesting however I expect that there will be teathing problems, both in the pairing but also within the team. I hope I am wrong and the Horsies are on the top step more than not, but I think 2011 is more likely the year we will see the WCC & WDC return to their rightful home.

8. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    The usual guys :

Ferrari, Mclaren.

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I'll go with the Beast on this, but I'd say Brawn will be the solid fourth team, then a gap to the Sauber/Renault/Toyota/Williams/ crowd.

10. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    #10 robert_c, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    I think Brawn will be on the podium as much as anyone. The second half of the season was not disastrous at all. They had 5 podiums after JB's last win. How will that be mid pack?

What makes you think they will do worse next year?

Obviously they wont have the diffuser advantage, but they didn't have that after mid season this year either. I also never count out the genius that is Ross. AND there is no KERS, that should make it more even. I also assume that the MB engine won't be shoe horned in, but part of the design. That may have been addressed already this year, I don't know if that is a factor. I guess the only downside is who the second driver will be. I wish it were RB.

Oh yeah, I forgot about funding. You may be right.

11. WOLFMAN

WOLFMAN Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Germany and US
    Full Name:
    Gerd W. Brandt.
    Ferrari just can’t have another disappointing year. So I believe the Scuderia will work twice it hard to have a winning car again. So here is my pick:

Ferrari
    Red Bull
    McLaren

12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    010 is going to be quite different from this year with all the driver moves, cossie engines and the no refueling rule.
    As we saw last year a change can really shake things up so while it is way to early to make an informed guess I'll have to go with the usual suspects Ferrari and McLaren.

13. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    #13 Gilles27, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    That looks pretty close. I wouldn't be too surprised if RBR give Ferrari a good run for their money.

14. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Funding is everything in F1.

15. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    Agreed.

Brawn will be fighting mid pack with Williams and maybe Renault for best of the rest.

16. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    On the money.

17. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    +1

18. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Williams is going to do even worse than this year, IMO.

They are way way down on funding, and getting a new engine that will likely be the slowest.

I expect Williams to move way back in the grid, along with Toyota (or whoever runs the Toyota team next year).

19. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    They stopped development when they realized they needed to build a car with respect to the double diffuser and no KERS from a clean sheet of paper. The F60 was so far out of whack in regards to those parameters they had no choice really.

Given they've done that, there's sure to be a lot of pressure to pull a 'Brawn' and dominate right out of the box next year.

20. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Red Bull. Newey is a pimp. A driver lineup which is comparable to that of Ferrari/Mclaren.

Red Bull
    McLaren
    Ferrari
    Williams
    Renault

21. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    No one! The way F1 is going, there maybe not an F1 next season. Good job Bernie.