I need some good reliable info on taking pics | FerrariChat

I need some good reliable info on taking pics

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Cozmic_Kid, Oct 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    #1 Cozmic_Kid, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    How do you take the best pics of a moving object when it's dark?

I was going to take pics of Oasis of the Seas as she pass under the Great Belt Link here in DK.

Due to it's massive size, 360 meter long, 64 meter wide and 72 meter tall, they have to lie down the funnel so it's only 65,85 meter tall.
    Then they have to pass the bridge at full speed, and at low tide.

The low tide is the problem as that is usually happening when it's dark grrrr.

I had hoped for this to happen Sunday noon or something like that, but it will now happen Saturday Evening around 9:30.

So I need some good reliable info on what setting would be best to use.

Both the ship and the bridge will be fully lighted.

I must admit I have never really tried taking pics of moving objects in the dark before. :eek:

Attached pic is the bridge.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. John Z. Goriup

Mar 4, 2009
    Walnut Creek, CA US
    Full Name:
    John Z. Goriup
    Put the camera on a tripod, select your location where you can wait and pre-focus while there's still enough light.

I would select Manual mode, set a high ISO number ( one less than your camera's max. ISO setting). Open aperture to maximum...smallest number. Then set shutter speed to balance exposure.

If you find that shutter speed is going to be slower than about 1/30sec., I would leave camera on Tripod and pan with moving subject. If shutter speed will be faster than 1/30 .....just shoot and you should be OK.

Again, not knowing which camera you are using, if you are shooting with a DSLR I would advise a remote shutter release.

Good luck,

JZG

3. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    No answer to your question, but are you going to stand on the bridge ;)

4. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Thanks for the info John.

I am using a Canon EOS 30D and will probably also bring along an EOS 350D with a zoom lense.
    I had originally thought that would have to be on a tripod, and that I could shoot with my 30D handheld.

As the ship is fully lit I would assume quite a bit of light will come back towards me.

From where I took the pic above (on land) and to the middle of the bridge there is a distance of 2.3 miles.

5. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    I wish:D

Unfortunately it's a motorway so you are not allowed to walk onto it. :(

I am sure pressphotographers and other journalists will have the opportunity of standing on the bridge or on the top of the pylons.

A little tidbit of info. Funnels are telescopic and will be lowered before it goes under the bridge. They were constructed that way for the sole purpose of getting under this bridge.
    If all goes well there should be a clearance between the top of the ship, and the bottom of the cardeck of 1.5 meter or roughly 5 ft.:D

6. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I would aim to get the fastest possible shutter speed you can for the conditions. John's advice above is good, I'd add to that by suggesting you use spot metering, rather than matrix metering.

I'm guessing the ship won't be moving too quickly which will help, as you may be able to get a few shots off. I'd also be tempted to leave one camera static and pan with the other.

One final thing; try going up there in advance and seeing what sort of settings are required at 9:30 in the evening.

7. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    It will actually be moving 24 knot. If not I will be in for some big photo adventure as it will crash into the bridge.

8. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    You might want to take a few shots of the bridge alone then the ship, select the best & photoshop them together.

High ISO of over 400 may give you noisey pics in your camera. I think a shutter of at least 1/80secs might be necessary to capture the speed without motion blur (I believe there's a formula on this to work out from the speed you gave) Tripod will be a must. Bracket it & fire away :)

Good luck & please post them.

9. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Thanks for the info. The ship passed Sunday :)

Here is a link to what is probably my best shot. Not that good, but okay depending on the circumstances and equipment.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i140/Cozmic_Kid/365/2009/November/2009_11_01.jpg

I posted links to other people's pics, and some video clips in a thread in the boats and motorcycle section :)