In Shanghai for the weekend | FerrariChat

In Shanghai for the weekend

Discussion in 'Asia' started by abster, Nov 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abster

abster Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    NJ
    #1 abster, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    My first time here.

Any suggestions of must do's, eat's etc?

Good places for dinner and to hang out?

I did see a yellow F430 yesterday!

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How old are you, what do you like to do, what kind of food do you like, what kind of places?

3. abster

abster Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    NJ
    In my late 30's. I figure'd there are probably some must do things and some "cool" things to do.

Food dining is definitely a "hobby." Local cuisine preferred!

Some area like NYC's Soho would be great.

4. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    Shame i'm back in Melbourne until sometime next week, There are a few things you can do, I would personally stay away touristy spots like Yu Garden or Xintiandi, there are photos on google, look at them is good enough.

I can name a few great local food places, but problem is they are so local, you'll probably need someone who speaks chinese to help you order and etc. Or alternatively, I'll make up a list of things, you print them out and show it to them LOL.

there is a great restaruant chain in China called Southern Beauty, somewhere I'd recommand you to check out, they blend SiChuan cruisine with modern touch, and the one on YanAn West Rd is the one you wanna go to. Or another great one would be GangLi in Super Grand Mall.

Drinks wise, if you're not a clubber avoid bars like Rouge, or perhaps even mint, they can get very noisey and you don't feel the city as best as you can. My fav two spots are 1) Shangrila's JadeOn36 on 36th floor, front seat view of Shanghai's night view, and 2) VUE bar in Park Hyatt, its a balcony so pick a good night to go there. These two places can be quite busy during weekends, So i'd suggest depending on weather, go after 8, no later than 10 (shanghai lights turns off by 10:30 odd enough). Look call JadeOn36 on 68828888 tell them Kelvin send you and let them reserve my usual seating for you, call VUE on 13817640257 (one of the bar manager's mobile), tell him that Kelvin send you too, you can get a main (bed) there with a minium charge of 1k rmb (120 USD?) or somewhere about, quite cheap for a great night.

anything more PM me

5. mahwon

mahwon Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2005
    NYC-Shanghai
    solid advice kelvin.
    though VUE is at hyatt on the bund, not park hyatt. :)
    i will see u soon in shanghai.

6. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Two of the best bars in the world are in Sh, IMO. They aren't clubs though.

Check out Constellation 2 on the corner of Yongjia Lu and Maoming Lu. It's a large, Japanese bar with a huge selection of whiskey and bartenders that make good drinks. I recommend the old fashioned.

Also, Constellation 1 on Xinle Lu. Same thing, but smaller and more cosy. I prefer 1.

However, both of these assume you are going with someone. Not exactly places to just meet people.

You can always check out www.smartshanghai.com and browse bars/restaurants. They have maps and addresses etc. Your hotel can always write the address if you tell them it and show it to the cab.

7. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    Hey Will, are you perm in Sh for work or something? perhaps we can catch up for a drink when I'm back in the mad city next week. another F chatter from Aus section will be in SH too.

8. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    my bad! just give me a holla bro

9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am here until I decide to leave. Come and go. Just hanging out/living. We can meet up sometime, for sure. Shoot me a private message on here or just post in this thread.

10. abster

abster Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    NJ
    Thanks for the all the tips.

Actually did lunch at Southern Beauty yesterday. Any other suggestions for restaurants greatly appreciated.

Now time to explore. . .

11. mahwon

mahwon Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2005
    NYC-Shanghai
    western:
    mr & mrs bund, formly sens & bund, in same building as bar rouge, #5 on the bund i think. good food.
    allure, french restaurant at the royal le meridien hotel, the guy is got a michelin star in france. good food.
    m on the bund, used to be a good spot 5-6 yrs ago, now going downhill, still edible. they got a glamour bar on the other side, relatively quiet place compared to a lounge/club.
    jean geroge, small menu, mediocre food (at least in'07), nothing to write home back, but nice place.

chinese:
    xiao nan guo. modern shanghai cuisine, sort like south beauty without the spicy sichuan twist.
    shanghai uncle: traditional shanghai cuisine.

those are the more well known spots. if u pick up a "thats shanghai" or "city weekend" magazine at the hotel concierge, they list alot of places by categories.

enjoy ur time there.