WRX owners? | FerrariChat

WRX owners?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by MITYRARE, Nov 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I am strongly considering a 2010 WRX as a daily driver.
    I do about 60,000 miles per year.

Any reasons why not??

Beev

2. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I was close to getting one a few years ago but went with an Audi instead, I still regret it today. I would go for it. Are you thinking about a sedan or wagon?

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I too was considering either a WRX , GTi, A3, MS3 or Evo as a daily driver just last Fall. I ended up going with a MS3 based on it being the best overall package IMHO. It's plenty fast, handles well, has quality fit and finish, is reasonably priced and I average 25.1 mpg on my daily 21 mile one way commute in metro-Atlanta. I have driven it over 25k miles in the last year with noting but oil changes and new tires.

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #4 ryalex, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
    I have a few posts on my WRX. I highly recommend them for Canadian weather, however, the seats aren't the most comfortable for distance driving, and I put nearly 20k miles a year on mine. For me, after ~3 hours my legs and knees were in pain from the bolsters. I then shopped based on my actual daily driving habits and high mile trips and ended up with a cruiser A8.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216443
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112764
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1440

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86745

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    tick me off pulling up next to me in the Ferrari while I'm driving to work! :D

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I just saw that thread when I was searching.

The new 2010 WRX does 0-60 in under 5 seconds. Not bad for a high $20k's car.

7. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Regret....interesting!
    2010 265hp Sedan with limited pkg.

I test drove the MS3 and liked it too....all wheel drive is an advantage here in the snow belt of Canada.

I guess i have to learn the search method better. lol I enjoyed reading those threads, thank you.
    I am not too worried about comfort....I drive a street legal Formula v with an aluminum Kirky racing seat with no padding several hours each weekend...anything else is pure luxury for my a##,

...however i have been driving a boaty luxury car for the last 16 months and was prone to getting sleepy in the thing...I am a driving enthusiast and look forward to being mildly engaged in the driving.

I get a new vehicle every 16 months so if i make a mistake on my choice, it will be corrected in 16 months time.

The WRX performance numbers certainly are enticing.

Here in Canada the Limited goes for about $35,000...of course our colourful money isn't quite worth the same as the US dollar....but we are closing in fast!!!

8. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    And it has a HUGE aftermarket following of go-fast parts.

You should come to Rally of the Tall Pines in Bancroft in a couple weeks. Besides the hoards of Subies, multiple Lancia Delta Integrale, Montecarlo, Fulvia owners competing or working including a guy who rallied an X-19.

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    And for some reason magazine test show the WRX faster than the WRX STi in acceleration runs..

10. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I Have attended before...It is near my Fishing cabin....why do you think I own a Lancia (and I am currently looking for a Integrale and a Zagato bodied Fulvia as well), X 1/9, and soon a Subie??!!!!

Wish I had been introduced to rallying in my youth... too old to start now but i truly love watching the skill of you rally racers.

I just may attend again with my son this year....I never heard about it this year so i will google for the details...

Thanks and good luck.

11. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Granted, this was years ago. I tested a WRX and STI...I loved the car. But ultimately I passed on it because I could not get over the interior. It was pathetic for a car nearing 30k. Hopefully it has improved over the years.

12. PlaneGuy

PlaneGuy Rookie

Oct 29, 2009
    I am on my second WRX and Forester XT.

I have a 2009 STI and 2010 Forester XT.

The STI (aka super WRX) is very nice now. I would not have bought one if it was still the same as 2007. Fun to drive and you can beat the stuffing out of it and it doesn't break. If it does it's cheap to fix (relative statement)

You can't beat it in the snow that's for sure.

a WRX can be safely modified to run very quickly with just an ECU flash and simple exhaust changes. Check out NASIOC.com for all sorts of WRX info.

13. BriSalig

BriSalig Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I had a 2004 WRX and loved it. Great car, almost completely problem free. I had it running a Cobb Protune from Jorge at P&L Motorsports in Chicago. I miss that car....

14. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    "Organizers of the 39th Rally of the Tall Pines are thrilled with the competitor turnout. As of this moment we have 52 cars entered and are told that several more are still to come. A late entry last night said that he was having trouble arranging time off work, so he quit his job. This entry is 20% higher than any other event in the Canadian Championship this year. Almost every province is represented plus a heavy U.S. contingency. The Pines hasn't reached this number of cars for many years.

All the top Drivers are in. The Canadian Championship will be settled on November 21st between Antoine L'Estage/Nathalie Richard in a Mitsubishi Evo and Pat Richard/Alan Ockwell in a Subaru. For the Ontario Championship it is between Chris Martin/Phil Narini and Nick & Kelly Mathew, both teams in Subarus. There are numerous other titles to be settled, included the NARC (North American Rally Cup). Have a look at the Entry List at http://www.tallpinesrally.com/compete/entrylist This list is being updated daily. Frank & Dan Sprongl, seven time winners of the Tall Pines are back to mix it up with the current Championship leaders with the details of the car yet to be revealed. Frank & Dan are semi-retired from competition and only enter selected events these days. Frank came back last February to enter the Perce Neige Rally in Quebec and totally outpaced all the current leading teams.

The cars entered all feature special safety equipment including a full roll cage, competition harnesses and underbody protection. The teams must wear a fire-retardant suit, helmet and as of this year, a head and neck restraint device. Many of the cars are highly modified to provide sensational performance.

This huge entry has resulted in many positive spinoffs. The volunteer response has been outstanding - over 200 so far and still growing. All of this means a huge impact on Bancroft Area businesses; it is becoming very difficult to find any accommodations anywhere in the area. The top quality competitive field is expected to bring a record turnout of spectators. On Rally weekend the town will will be hopping.

Activities start on Thursday, November 19 with Registration of the teams. A core team of workers will begin preparation of the course and Headquarter Area at the Dungannon Recreation Centre. Teams will set up their support rigs in the HQ Service Area on Thursday afternoon.

This year we have run the Odometer Check right through the town streets, so you will see lots of rally cars on Thursday and Friday. This is an opportunity for the teams to adjust their rally computers so that they will match the precise distances provided in the Routebook by the Organizers.

On Friday all the cars will pass through a rigorous Technical Inspection while the Drivers and Co-Drivers are out on the stage roads (not in their rally cars) doing 'reconnaissance'. This means making their own notes about road conditions, challenging corners etc. During 'recce' they must follow all rules of the road, including on the stages. Rally officials and the O.P.P. will be monitoring closely. From 6:00 to 8:30 PM a section of Landon Rd will closed for the Shakedown/Media & Special Guest Rides program. This is an opportunity for the Drivers to test out their cars in a safe, supervised environment, as well as to give exciting demonstration rides to Media and Special Guests.

The competition begins on Saturday with a Parc Expose (public display) of the cars at Rally HQ from 8:15-9:00 AM. Then they head off to the stage roads, returning frequently to the Service Park at Rally HQ for fuel and to work on the cars. The first car is due at the Finish around 9:00 PM. The public is invited to visit at any time during the day.

There are two Official Spectator Areas. The cars will pass the Iron Bridge viewing point (access via Bronson Rd. off Hwy.28) three times - at approximately 10:45, 12:30 and 2:00. Following a spectator break from approximately 3:00-5:00 PM, when the crowds are encouraged to go for a good meal at local restaurants, there are two further viewing opportunities at the Golton Stage (access from Hwy. 62 opposite M & M ESSO). Viewing times there are at approximately 5:00 PM and 6:30 PM.

For more details about the Pines, go to the website at http://www.tallpinesrally.com/ and navigate your way from there

Spectator Guides will be available at many locations around town, including the Chamber of Commerce office during the week leading up to the rally."

I'm shotgun in car #23.

15. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I was considering an Evo 8 but after test driving one I was not impressed with the overall feel of it, my '92 MR2T felt better (more solid) than the Evo. I went by my local Scooby dealership afterwards to see if they had any used WRX's but was told when they do get one they depart very quickly and that leads me to believe that the WRX is better overall car than the Evo. I still have not had the chance to drive a WRX so my analysis is not complete and could be misleading.

Daily driver wise I honestly believe the WRX would be a better real world car. I guess I would just have to LEARN to love the "boat motor" engine note lol.

tex