400i engine sale ebay | FerrariChat

400i engine sale ebay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 246tasman, Nov 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Most of the car is available- in bits. I wonder what the real story was?

2. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    I do not know what the "real story" is but if you have one of these cars apart and it would make economic sense to sell the parts and buy one done.

3. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    I guess, but wouldn't a reasonably tidy car in the states that had just been painted go for at least $25,000? I don't see that much in parts here if they're willing to let the motor go for $4,500. Maybe the fact that is was an auto killed it. The condition of the bits are described as "amazing".
    Tom B

4. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    One of the people who post here tried to sell their 400I with an Auto, sorted so well he drove just over 1000 mile road trip with out trouble, it went for $18,000.
    This car in question is apart, how much would it cost to assy. and what parts would be needed, even oil and hoses type stuff is usally over $500 and always there is the unforseen stuff to make a good runner. I think cutting loses and selling "as is" is not the worst choice a guy could make. It does not seem to far fetched to part out even a drivable car much less one already apart.

5. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Me too. The seller makes it a point to mention it's his personal car, offers some other meaningless drivel but avoids mention of mileage.
    His auction reference and pics ought to give the slueths here enough to go on.

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    $5 says he can't get that kind of cash for that engine

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. When I was looking at 400is in 1998, one 400i that I looked at in Reno had a complete $26,000 engine rebuild using a 412 block because the original block had been destroyed after some service by a southern California repair shop.

The 400i owner was charged $6,500 for the 412 block as part of the $26K that he put into the engine rebuild.

Having said that, the engine in the UK will most likely need to be torn down and inspected and possibly have a lot of machine work and new parts installed to end up with an essentially rebuilt engine. The market for that is likely to be pretty limited to people who have to replace an entire engine as the base for the rebuild because their own is gone or irrepairable.

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ok I wouldn't mind taking $5 of your money :D
    Looks like I'll be adding this one to my "watch" list

9. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    I've sent the seller 2 separate emails asking about a couple of parts I would like to purchase from him. So far no repsonse. I'm guessing "scammmmmm????????????

Howard Musolf
    tr0768

10. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm not a betting man, just saying that sometimes the stars between a seller and a buyer who needs something line up.

11. dougmilbourne

dougmilbourne Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
  12. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    It sold - £2250 it seems

13. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    "Excuse me waitress, I'm going to need some ketchup for this crow I'm about to eat." :D

14. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    After paying $90 (+ shipping from England) for the 5" long upper radiator hose, i'm pretty darn sure that there is a lot more than $500 worth of "oil and hose type stuff" in these cars if you needed to replace.

Brennan Johnson
    '84 400i #47583
    San Luis Obispo, CA

15. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Thanks for adding support to my argument, Fritz