What does the "E" in the "250 GT/E" stand for? | FerrariChat

What does the "E" in the "250 GT/E" stand for?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by dougmilbourne, Nov 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dougmilbourne

dougmilbourne Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
  2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The chassis was derived from the earlier 250GT chassis and had the same 2600 mm long wheelbase but there were enough modiifications that the chassis was designated type 508E, so maybe that is where the E came from.

3. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I believe it's for Experimental, this being the first production 4 seater.

4. don

don Karting

Jan 7, 2004
    Dunedin Florida USA
    Full Name:
    Don Nelson
    I understood that the E in 250 GTE stood for Export, as did some of the early 212 chassis numbers, 0136E for example. I believe that Ferrari saw this car as a way to sell to a wider world market .
    When the car was first announced at the Geneva Motor Show, I was fortunate enough to get a test ride driven by Mike Parkes, as my father knew him. After a "blast" on a closed road just outside Geneva, he crammed another 3 people into the car for a ride back to the show, and demonstrated the car's flexibility by driving the whole way back through town in 4th gear only.
    Don

5. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Chassis tipo 508E was the only one of the numerous 250GT LWB-frame versions, where the engine had been moved forward. I personally believe this is why the 2+2 was called GT/E.

Have never seen any proof on anything else. Export and/or experimental would be a little far fetched as most of the production was built for export and experimental frames were also prepared every other week or so, so calling a frame "experimantal" would be like going to meet someone in Sweden and saying "I'm the one wearing wooden shoes"...

6. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    I think Ferrari initally called it a 250GT 2+2 with no mention of the "E". That may have been informally added as they had a lot fo cars they called 250GTs I have no idea that the "E" was supposed to mean

7. maximilian.szwaj

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Szwaj
    According to 'Ferrari by Pininfarina' book, quote: "The engine, in particular, of the 128E type (for this reason, the model was also known as the 250 GTE), was the most up-to-date version of the....."
    Hope this helps,
    Max.

8. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    That makes sense.

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    To support that contention, SCM profile states;

...compact Colombo-designed engine, Tipo 128E (hence the obscure designation “GTE”), produced 240 hp, ensuring brisk performance...
    _______

What then, did the "E" in Tipo 128E designate?

10. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    128E was the successor of the 128D, which had followed the 128C and so forth. The Jess Pourret book on the 250GTs did a wonderful job on the development sequence.

Jeff

11. Bill P

Bill P Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Prescott AZ
    Full Name:
    William D. Preston
    I asked this same question when I bought my GTE in 1982. The correct answer is: It is the next letter in the alphabet after "D." In both engine type numbers and chassis type numbers Ferrari was running along in a series of A, B, C, D and the next letter happened to be E.

Bill Preston

12. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Were they called GT/E from the beginning?

Or could it be that the E-suffix was introduced to separate it from the 330-engined version, in which case it could stand for Europa.

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Have misplaced my Italian manual (the first version to come out), but both English and French edition say "250 GT/E coupé pininfarina 2+2" on the cover. FWIW, engine tipo 128E was named after the chassis 508E. They usually named mechanical component after chassis they were designed to be used on. Best wishes, Kare

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    FWIW, while 250 > 330 distinctions are numerous, Europa chassis were initially EU, then GT. Though Enzo preferred one to transport himself, driver and dog, Could "E" for "Export" fit into the equation?