Number 7 - NOT lucky for Lorenzo Bandini: | FerrariChat

Number 7 - NOT lucky for Lorenzo Bandini:

Discussion in 'F1' started by Gatorrari, Nov 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In the "Collectables..." forum I review the spectacular new book "The Brothers Rodriguez". I hope the publisher won't mind my posting my favorite passage from the book, which has nothing to do with the brothers (save for a comparison with the circumstances of Ricardo's death) but rather with one of Pedro's competitors, the unfortunate Lorenzo Bandini. Get a load of this:

"The Ferrari driver had been in his seventh year in F1; his accident occured on May 7, 1967, at 5:07 PM, or 17:07 hours. He had been 17 seconds behind Hulme with 17 laps left in the race. It had taken his rescuers 17 minutes to send him to the hospital, where he spent 70 hours in agony in room number 7. His death certificate was number 7747, and his body was taken to Milan on a Boeing 727, flight 607, and stayed 17 days in the cemetery before being buried in plot 7 of the seventh section."

Whew! With numerology like that, I guess poor Lorenzo's time was up. That Monaco race was the first F1 race I ever saw on TV, and honestly Bandini's crash is the only thing I remember from the coverage. But I guess that when one is 14, one tends to remember things like that. Having just seen "Grand Prix" for the first time, and remembering Sarti's words to Louise in the Monza pits the day before he is killed, I realized the special passion about Ferrari that made men try too hard to please the Old Man, with often tragic results. That passion is why I've followed the Scuderia ever since, and why I own a 328.....

That passage above is part of why I urge everyone who followed racing in the 60s, whether they were fan of the Rodriguez brothers or not, to get a copy of this book.

2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #2 DeSoto, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
    Next year there will be a Ferrari #7 (Massa I suppose) for the first time in decades. Hope there is not any numerological link with this.

3. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    The race was still running at 5:00 PM?

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Remember, back then GPs were longer than they are now. Bandini crashed on the 83rd lap of a 100 lap race. Maybe because of that, the race was shortened to 80 laps a year later. I'm not sure how long Monaco is now, but I doubt if it's longer than 75 laps tops.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Since the 60s, F1 races went from being 3 hours minimum to being 2 hours maximum.

It's not unrealistic that the race was still going at 5PM.
    100 laps at Monaco is quite long!

6. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    ...letters in his name.....ooooooo

7. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    i was a big bandini fan and too saw the race. it wasn't broadcast live but on abc's wide world of sports with chris economaki announcing. it was a sad day.

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Somehow, I can't finish that book!
    I had it on my desk for at least 4 months, but can't get around it.
    It's very, very detailed and mentions every move.
    The trouble is that I know most of the story ...

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I also remember seeing the race on TV. As I recall, the rescuers couldn't get near the car because the TV helicopter was fanning the flames.

Jack