Big model car show this weekend: | FerrariChat

Big model car show this weekend:

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Nov 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The annual NNL Southern Nationals, the biggest model car show in Georgia and one of the biggest in the southeast, will take place on Saturday, Nov. 14 at the Smyrna Community Center in Smyrna, GA.

The hours are 10 to 4 and admission is $3; children under 12 are free with a paid adult. If you want to enter models, the fee is $8 and that allows you unlimited entries. There are numerous categories for cars, trucks and motorcycles, stock and custom, street and racing, open-wheel and closed-wheel, dioramas and collections, and junior categories for the kids.

Also a very large vendor area, with people selling kits, decals, paints, accessories, books, magazines, posters, memorabilia, etc.

To get there either take Atlanta Road north from I-285, or take Windy Hill Road west from I-75 and turn left on Atlanta Road just after the railroad underpass. The community center is about 1/2 mile south of Windy Hill. For more info: www.acme-ipms.com.

I plan to go after "Potenza on Peachtree". Maybe we can have a few 1/1-scale Ferraris on the premises?

2. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I live down the street. I will be checking this out. Thanks for the info.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #3 Gatorrari, Nov 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Great turnout of models this year. So many people that cars were parking on the grass! But I cheated and parked the Ferrari right at the curb in front of the entrance, and as usual no one objected.

The first photo shows the "Make & Take" session going on in another room - lots of kids building models with the help of the club members. Then some great racers and some of the weirder creations as well. Love the "Pratt & Miller Aerovette"! The blue #12 is the 250 GT Sperimentale, 2643 GT, which is often considered the GTO prototype, and was once owned by the fellow who sold me my 328!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom Karting

Jul 15, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for the show mention; we had 647 models entered by 114 different builders from 18 states. Your car looked great out front when we walked past it to go to lunch at the church next door.

Not many Ferraris this year, the blue Sperimentale was built by Dinoscuderia. We saw the car at Amelia Island a year or two ago. He did a fantastic job on the build. The sports car categories were packed.

I took about 350 shots for ACME:

http://public.fotki.com/ACME-IPMS/acme_sourthern_nati/2009-nnl-southern/

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #5 Gatorrari, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here, belatedly, are the rest of my photos. Sorry about the limited depth-of-field in some of them; I attribute that to my rustiness at taking model contest photos. I still need to get me a new ringlight......

Dig the wild Allison-powered custom in the 4th photo (1710 cubic inches!) and the neat comparison of two generations of Ford stock cars in the next photo.

Also the three photos of the vintage Texaco station (from back when they really were service stations). The two photos following are both of the same diorama; the builder did a very good job (IMO) depicting ducks taking off!