Water Pump | FerrariChat

Water Pump

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by moysiuan, Nov 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    3.2 Mondial 1988

Going to do the belts this winter. The water pump bearing was replaced about 10,000km ago, when the belts were previously changed. What is the expected lifespan of the pump bearing, I get the impression it fails more frequently than in a "regular" car, what is the typical practice of various owners "while in there" doing a major or belt change? Any rule of thumb? I was thinking that it would be worth replacing the pump (ie. rebuild with a bearing kit) after about 40km or so? I use the car as a daily driver in season, so I want reliability, but I don't like to waste good parts when the service life reasonably remains. Thanks for any views.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is a big bearing pump. I don't think you have to rebuild it if it is not leaking, not making funny noises, and that the last rebuild is within 5 years or less.

On the other hand, it is $75 for the rebuild kit.

3. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    If the bearing that was installed was good quality, it should last 100K km or more. As noted, if it is not leaking, not squealing and no signs of it hanging up when you spin it manually, there is no reason to replace it. IMHO, this goes in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" catagory, unlike timing belts that should be replaced before they fail.

4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Great advice, thanks, my inclination was to simply inspect, and ensure the bearing action is smooth and leave well enough alone.

5. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Good plan, if it ain't broke.....

However, if you havn't already done so then spend the time & money inspecting / replacing flexible brake lines, rubber fuel lines (inc the steel braided ones) and possibly coolant hoses.