Cali paint quality | FerrariChat

Cali paint quality

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by rp456, Nov 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rp456

rp456 Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    Anyone notice the paint quality by the rear diffuser to the bumper?

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Did you notice something wrong with the paint finish?

3. rp456

rp456 Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    The rear bumper and rear diffuser is one piece. The transition from the painted bumper to the black diffuser doesn't have a clean line. It seems that when they masked the bumper to paint it, the painter must of had a few drinks too many. The line is crooked and not clean. It doesn't look like its been resprayed, just done improperly. I've noticed on other fcars that they have paint defects, too. My other fcar has some small paints issues too, and I've always wondered if that was a factory issue or the prior owner's repair.

4. BVC500

BVC500 Karting

Feb 26, 2008
    Washington, D.C.
    Sounds about right. The black diffuser area should just be a separate piece, or have a very small groove where it meets the bumper to minimize a finishing issue like that.

5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #5 of2worlds, Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
    There was a thread here before about a Avio Blue California press car that was detailed. Lots of interesting observations with pictures to illustrate about the paint 'quality' found on that one. Some of the damage appeared to have been done by other people trying to clean the car. Even the tail lights were scratched up.
    He later detailed a Rosso Fuoco painted 599 which also had lots of 'issues' regarding paint quality. This particular 599 was brand new from the factory...
    CH

6. rp456

rp456 Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    Overall, the paint quality of the car is excellent. The only flaw is the rear bumper to the diffuser. I haven't been able to spot anything else. Although, it still isn't acceptable for any car maker to deliver a car that has such an obvious paint defect. I spoke to a detailer and he said it could be easily fixed.

7. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Mine appears to be perfect but I'll take another look