HIGH SCHOOL --1959 vs. 2009 | FerrariChat

HIGH SCHOOL --1959 vs. 2009

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by mseals, Nov 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Perhaps this should be in P&R... if so, please move...

HIGH SCHOOL --1959 vs. 2009

Scenario 1:

Jack goes duck hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1959 - Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his truck and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2009 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1959 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2009 - Police called and SWAT team arrives - they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not behave in class, he disrupts other students.

1959 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2009 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1959 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2009 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.. Billy's mom has an affair with the state psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1959 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.

2009 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons..

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

1959 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.

2009 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum.. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, then puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

1959 - Ants die.

2009 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents – and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:

Little Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1959 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2009 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

Is this ‘stupid’ or ‘politically correct’?

Mike in Kuwait

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
  3. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Hmmmm, I just realized that "Stupid" and "Politically Correct" may be indistinguishable from each other......

Mike in Kuwait

4. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    +1

Funniest one:

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1959 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2009 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.. Billy's mom has an affair with the state psychologist.

LOL joins a gang and his mom has an affair with the state psychologist?!?!

5. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #5 agup48, Nov 15, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
    Hah, that was great! :)

My favorite:
    Little Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1959 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2009 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

Cooties.

6. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Very funny due to its being 100% accurate.

7. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    You forgot one:

Leroy is walking home from school.

1959: Leroy is questioned by the cops for being a black in a suburban residential neighborhood.

2009: Leroy is questioned by the cops for being a pedestrian in a suburban residential neighborhood.

8. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway

Ouch. Is it still that bad in US?

9. RSQP

RSQP F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Beaker
    This is what happens when personal accountability has no value. Point the finger at something else and overanalyze it so we can fool each other into thinking it won't happen again.

Complete BS.

Thanks for the post.

10. ski_bum

ski_bum Formula 3

Dec 26, 2002
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Michael
    ~10-15 years ago. Mostly white town (I'm Asian) My friend drives to my house around 4-5am so we can go skiing. He gets pulled over entering our town and given the 3rd degree. Why here, who seeing, where he lives....blah blah...

DWB (driving while black) still exists.

He also said when he's a pedestrian he can hear the power door locks activating as they go by. What a country.....

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

While walking home from a High School dance Tina cuts through a dark park.

Tina looks fine in her new Poodle Skirt and Saddle Shoes. Joe a member of the football team has followed her. He grabs Tina and rapes her in the park. She is called a slut by the local police and no charges are filed. Joe's dad says good boy and gives him a wink.

Tina looks fine in her Spike Heels and black leather Mini Skirt. Joe rapes her in the park. Tinas parents hire a good attorney and even though the local police call her a slut Joe is sentenced to 10 years in prison for his crime. His parents are totally embarrassed, and humiliated.

Timmy is an alter boy at the local Catholic Church where he also goes to private school.
    Father Butori has oral sex with him after mass in the priests quarters.

Timmy's parents slap him when he tells them what happened. They call him a liar and invite Father Butori over for Sunday dinner and to have a talk with Tommy.

Father Butori is arrested and charged with child abuse. They search his computer, and find evidence of long term child abuse. Father Butori is sentenced to life in prison.

Frank picks up his girlfriend Susan and they plan on hanging out.

Frank brings along some booze and pot. Susan gets drunk and loaded and pukes on her self. She has a nasty headache the next day.

Frank brings along some booze and some crystal meth. Susan gets loaded and has cardiac arrest. She dies on the spot. Frank spends some serious time in prison for reckless endangerment.

The times they are a changin.

12. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Good rebuttal.

Under-reaction to seriously-bad behavior 50 years ago, PC over-reaction to minor issues today.

13. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good summation, though I'm not so sure the football player rapist doesn't get off even now. I can tell you I know of one guy who did hard time for a rape in our town while in high school. Also, let's not forget that there are plenty of people out there who might consider lying about the priest to get a nice payday.

Dave

PS: I brought a shotgun to school for show and tell in the 60's. No one gave it a second thought.

14. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  15. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
  16. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Alot of those first ones are true..

17. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Me too (pistol).

I did about half of them ....... And the end result was as stated.

18. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Racism and segregation runs in cycles in the US. I think it's been getting worse over the last few years .... and all the races are contributing to that. This was an integrated neighborhood when I moved in. Now it's becoming mostly hispanic, as the different races tend to segregate themselves.

But my "2009" comment was about how you see minivans parked around the school bus stops. Kids don't walk to school, anymore. They don't even walk to the (school) bus stops.

And people wonder why their kids are overweight.

Going for a walk around a residential neighborhood makes you a suspicious character, regardless of your race. Nobody walks.

19. ruxp

ruxp Karting
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2009
    #19 ruxp, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    Like most e-mail forwards, this is emotionalist, simple-minded and inane. My response to the same thing when it was posted on another forum a while back -

20. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Seems rough.

I see your point of view. Many Europeans wonder why so many of you are so fat... It's the driving-wherever-you're-going... :)

21. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Part of what you describe is natural, universal and timeless. It is tribalism. People tend to associate with others like themselves who share things in common. Heck, I have relatives with whom I have nothing in common. Haven't seen 'em in years.

My particular neighborhood is diverse in every sense of the word. Like a small town, everyone at least recognizes everyone else and walking is a favorite pastime.

22. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I understand this would be upsetting, but the pedestrians are overreacting.

I do this when my family is in the car, and it doesn't matter the race of the pedestrian. That's just prudent. I recently dropped my wife's car off at one dealership and walked about a mile to the dealer where my car was ready to be picked up. As I walked passed stopped cars at a busy light I could hear several doors lock (I am a geeky white dude of average size). Try it sometime.

Part of the problem is the "it's because of my race" mindset. It just might be something else.

23. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Something similar happened to me in 1995:

A kid in the hallway between classes dared another to randomly attack the first person to walk around the corner... this happened to be me. My grandfather was a professional boxer and taught me how to defend myself and throw a punch; not the wind-up arching swings most kids my age would have used. At first, I just tried merely parrying the blows to avoid getting punched in the head. As this wasn't deterring him and I was occasionally getting hit, I got more assertive and threw two punches in rapid succession, getting him squarely in the nose (breaking it) and the stomach (knocking him to the floor where he vomited on himself).

Unfortunately, the school decided that the appropriate course of action was to suspend us both from school. I argued (and there were many witnesses backing me up) that I hadn't started the fight and had done my best to diffuse it before retaliating. The school stated their policy was to suspend everyone who fights - no exceptions. So essentially, unless you're laying on the floor like a sack of potatoes doing nothing whatsoever to defend yourself, you'll be suspended if someone randomly attacks you.

The part I was really ticked off about though was that even if you accept this 'no exceptions' rule... my attacker got suspended for 3 days, and I was suspended for 5. Reason being, I'd done more damage in the fight. He started it and threw a dozen punches throughout, whilst I did my best to avoid it and ultimately threw just the two punches to end it - go figure. :rolleyes:

All the best,
    Andrew.

24. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mine too.

We have doctors AND lawyers. I'm probably the only one in the neighborhood (my wife included) without at least one advanced degree in something. And we're the only driveway without an SUV and/or a minivan.

Oh, and I walk the dogs regularly. And I'm often armed when I do it, can't be too careful. Guess who the oddball in my neighborhood is? :D

DM

25. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

1963. (sorry wasn't in school in 1959) School has monthly air raid drills. Sit in hall, behind yellow line, and pretend that'll actually save your butt when the atomic bomb goes off. Return to class like nothing is wrong when drill is over while actually being scared ****less that the commies are gonna bomb us back into the stone age. Duck and cover are words to live by.

Health class consists of film strips about abstinence and maybe an STD or two.

2009 - Health class talks about safe sex, how to use a condom properly, birth control, and maybe has a passing reference to abstinence. Aids and two dozen STDs are discussed.

School curriculum ignores the cold war, and teaches that the world is a safer place now than it has ever been.

DM