512TR Shoulder belt failure | FerrariChat

512TR Shoulder belt failure

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rjnavion, Sep 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rjnavion

rjnavion Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Gate, OK (western O
    Full Name:
    Ron Judy
    I had the factory recall done on the shoulder belts several years ago and they worked fine until now. The driver's side belt track motor fails to operate. The passenger side continues to operate and I find no fuses blown.

I removed the two push button switches from the left door jamb and checked the operation with an ohn meter and they seem okay.

I have locked the belt in the back or drive position and crawl in and out under it. Not as hard as it seems, but an aggravation.

Someone please guide me where to look in troubleshooting the tracking motor. Also the best way to get the trim off to get to it if that's where I need to look.

If you suggest a "Search", I've done that with negative results, so please be specific about the title and date of the thread you're referring to.

2. rjnavion

rjnavion Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Gate, OK (western O
    Full Name:
    Ron Judy
    BUMP, BUMP

Surely someone has worked on the belts or the track motors and has a clue to my problem.

3. rjnavion

rjnavion Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Gate, OK (western O
    Full Name:
    Ron Judy
    Maybe someone will read the thread this time around that has a clue where to start looking for the problem in my first message. I have the belt latched back in the driving position and popping in and out under it. I've got pretty fast and annoyance has subsided but I would like to get it fixed. Ron

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I just saw this Ron. I know how to get to the TR motor by heart but the 512 is a little different. I will look at a 512 tomorrow.

For what it is worth I have never seen a motor go bad. It was always one of the position switches or the control unit.

5. rjnavion

rjnavion Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Gate, OK (western O
    Full Name:
    Ron Judy
    Thanks, Brian, I hoped you'd see the thread. Like I said I checked the door switches but maybe don't know what I was supposed to be reading from the ohm meter. They should be either normally open or normally closed but don't know which. I might remove the passenger door switches and see if they read the same. I have the schematic but it's an absolute nightmare with too many circuits on the same two pages.

And where is the control unit? That sounds like it might be the culprit. I didn't find it in the parts book but maybe didn't know where to look.

Ron

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Peel off the door seal at the rear edge from about latch height up and down about 1 foot. At about latch height there is a small, roughly triangular, leather covered piece of plastic glued in place over the motor mounting bracket mounting bolts. It's leather is wrapped around the steel door opening edge. Peel it off. The box structure above it houses the motor drive assy. A screw or 2 mounting that is now accessable. If you remove those you can move the box enough to get to the wiring for the motor. That will allow you to test the motor.

There is a switch at each end of the track assy. Those are rather problematic. You should be able to test those at the same electrical connections.

The door switches are closed with the door open. I believe the track switches are open when the mouse is at the opposite end. I did not look for the ECU's but I believe they are in the same location on both versions which is behind the console side panel down by your feet.

In my experience the track switches and ECU's are the biggest culprits for your type of complaint.

7. rjnavion

rjnavion Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Gate, OK (western O
    Full Name:
    Ron Judy
    Thank you Brian, that's a great help. I'll dig into it again when I get a warm enough day; it's turned cold here and no heat in the shop. I will be back with a report with what I find. Thanks again. Ron

8. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    This happened on my 92 f512. In my case it was the control unit. The control units are underneath the passenger's feet. there are 2 units, swap them and see if the problem moves to the passenger side. You only have to swap the cable connections. can be done in 5 minutes.

Let us know