355: fuel distribution block factory recall | FerrariChat

355: fuel distribution block factory recall

Discussion in '348/355' started by ze_shark, Nov 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Received today (Nov 16 2009) a signature letter from Maranello informing of a recall on my 355 for "repair work involving fitting a fuel distribution block on your vehicle model F355".
    Ferrari S.p.a. has decided to perform this repair work because of a failure that may occur in the fuel supply system.
    This failure may:
    (i) with time cause tearing of the fuel distribution block connection tube resulting in fuel leakage which may lead to smoke and/or fire
    (ii) cause malfunctioning of the engine
    Work will be carried out immediately free of charge.

Recall campaign no 48. My car is a 98 GTS F1 VIN112xxx.

2. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    #2 sambomydog, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    14 years to late, to little to late IMO. No one can tell me they did not know the distribution block cracked, as well as the banjos. I mean 14 years to do a re-call:rolleyes:
    Any way what dos this mean, does ferrari now believe they are liable? How do they stand legally now they know they had a fault? Why would they do this now? I am only thinking of the hundreds of 355s that have burst into flames over the years.
    Any thoughts?

3. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    I got one today too, early 98 355 Berlinetta (German car, but I'm in the UK).

4. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    My letter came Saturday, waiting for Dealer to get parts

5. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    Judging by the zero response to this thread. I am guessing its just a Europe only recall. Quite surprised its not a global recall.
    I had mine yesterday to.

6. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #6 davehelms, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
    I am still trying to understand the dynamics of the proposed failure. In a block where O-rings are used, the only stress points are those caused by over tightening of the nut retaining the lines to the block and by minor vibration transmitted from the mounting.
    The late 5.2 cars had a different fuel block designed to move the fuel lines up and out of the way of the coolant hoses but I have never seen a failure with any of the block designs to date. Could be the feed/return hose(s) just wasn't long enough to raise the block as it was.
    I find it far more likely there is a hose problem they are dealing with as that I have expected would come about. Re reading Ze's post, (i) states "connection tube"....That I have been waiting for in one of a few different failure modes.

7. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    Heres a segment of the letter from Maranello regarding the specific problem.

8. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I remember reading a few months back about a yellow 355 spider that caught fire behind the driver's seat and burned the driver. I wonder if this recall is a result of that.

9. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    ....or the rubber sleeves that seal the fuel fill and tank vent tubes to the tank melted away. THAT I experianced while on a test drive in a right hand sweeper turn. Thankfully only resulted in a steam like vapor when it slashed on the header.

10. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Do we know which years are covered under the recall?

11. All ON U

All ON U Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2005
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Sonu
    I have a 1995 GTS and I got the letter on Saturday regarding the recall. Mine is a UK supplied car by Maranello UK. Car booked in on Friday to have the work done. They said the car needs to be stone cold and will take 90 mins to do.

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Well, we have respondents with 1995 and 1998 model years, so that would seem to encompass all of those...have not heard of any 1999's yet. But this is only for Europe at present, and not including North America.

13. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Dave:

I don't see any difference in the PNs for US and non-US cars, so I wonder why the recall is limited to Euro vehicles at the present time. Perhaps, they will work on one geographical area at a time. Experts/Techs, any clue?

14. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Scott,
    I agree and with the USA being such a litigious society, I cannot see how Ferrari NA can avoid a similar recall here, whether it is necessary or not, once the precedence of a recall has been initiated in Europe.

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I agree and I also agree this recall is more than a decade too late. Ferrari actually redesigned the fuel block to prevent the fires but was too cheap to install a $5 part retroactively to prevent future fires. Funny part is Ferrari themselves created a paper trail in the public domain that opens themselves to a huge lawsuit for any one who suffered injury or loss from that terrible design. I really wish someone had sued them over it. Like the stupid corporation they are, getting their wallet looted is the only way they ever learn a lesson.

If anyone knows anybody in a position to profit from it I will be happy to provide them with all the information they need to prevail in a suit.

16. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    cut and paste from NHTSA'a web site:

Make: FERRARI Model: F355
    Model Year: 1997
    Manufacturer: FERRARI NORTH AMERICA INC Mfr's Report Date: NOV 13, 2009
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V447000
    N/A
    NHTSA Action Number: N/A
    Component: FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER:DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 2356
    Summary:
    FERRARI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 1995 THROUGH 1999 FERRARI 355 AND 355 F1 VEHICLES. INDEPENDENT AUTOMOBILE REPAIR FACILITIES MAY HAVE IMPROPERLY INSTALLED CERTAIN SCREW CLAMPS THAT ARE LOCATED IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO THE FUEL LINES AND THAT FASTEN THE WATER SLEEVE TO THE THERMOSTAT CONNECTION. THE IMPROPER INSTALLATION OF THESE SCREW CLAMPS MAY DAMAGE THE FUEL SUPPLY PIPES.
    Consequence:
    FLUID COULD LEAK INTO THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT, CAUSING SMOKE AND, IN SOME CIRCUMSTANCES, A FIRE, RENDERING THE VEHICLE INOPERABLE AND POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW FUEL DIVIDER BLOCK, WHICH WILL SERVE TO PROVIDE A GREATER DISTANCE BETWEEN THESE SCREW CLAMPS AND THE FUEL LINES. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE POSSIBILITY OF ANY DAMAGE TO THE FUEL SUPPLY PIPES WHICH COULD CAUSE FLUID LEAKAGE. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING DECEMBER 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FERRARI AT 201-816-2600.
    Notes:
    FERARRI RECALL NO. 48. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

17. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Brian:

Be careful or you'll start leaving a "slug slime trail" everywhere you go just like the rest of us Attorneys. :)

18. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    #19 sambomydog, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
    The way this bit is wrote bothers me.

19. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott

20. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Major services were/are always done at the dealer on my car. :)

But it would appear the issue (if you read the first recall from 1998 related to this problem) that the previous "fix" was to simply correctly position the coolant hose clamp. No attempt was made to prevent this clamp from being incorrectly positioned in the future. It would appear these new parts will now do that.

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #22 Rifledriver, Nov 20, 2009

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And it was dealers who caused most of the fires.

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #24 Rifledriver, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #25 saw1998, Nov 20, 2009
    Brian:

Please stop holding it in. Tell us how you really feel. :)

BTW, I am very good friends with one of the best litigators in the Country. If FNA wants to "play", I'll make sure you get the very best representation.