Help me on what to offer for a 99 360 Coupe | FerrariChat

Help me on what to offer for a 99 360 Coupe

Discussion in '360/430' started by pigcorn, Nov 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pigcorn

pigcorn Rookie

Apr 10, 2007
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #1 pigcorn, Nov 15, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
    Looking at a car with these specs:

99 Red\Tan Coupe
    29,000 Miles
    F1
    Shields
    Rear Grill
    Seems to be 1 owner, all books, maintence records. Private sale.

They are listing at 74k. What should I offer assuming it does not have a dark history.

2. silk32

silk32 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2005
    ASS MASS N.Attleboro
    Full Name:
    matt
    $64k it's a buyers market

3. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
  4. hifipj

hifipj Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2009
    #4 hifipj, Nov 15, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
    Most important, when were the belts/clutch/variators last done? All service records? If clean and PPI checks out, an F1 with that mileage is no more than 66k car. 2000 F1s have sold for mid-upper 60s with much lower mileage. Red/tan is a plus, but mileage is relatively high and there are MANY more F1s for sale than 6-speeds. And you forgot to mention one very important factor: USA or Euro model? If Euro, deduct a lot.

If you are patient, you can find a better deal than even 66k on an equivalent F1 car. Don't forget, it is going into winter in most parts of the country.

5. Dead at the scene

Jul 1, 2004
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Paul P.
    Start at 70K he will work you up maybe a bit. Either way it is a soft market.
    Good luck.

6. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    assuming she passes a PPI and the clutch in new or still good, brakes, belts, variators, major service recently completed.

start at $68k

good luck they are fun cars

7. HHogan

HHogan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2008
    Mississauga
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'd personally take a 99 with an upgraded TCU (a must IMO) over any other model year.

Just having no pre-cats means a lot to me, and if it's a private buyer I'd be willing to bet he doesn't budge off $74k. Sure people can say start at so and so number, but us Ferrari owners are stubborn bastards :p

8. jsanocki

jsanocki Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2006
    NJ
    74k isn't a bad price. Little high because of the miles maybe, but listen its still a Ferrari!

To suggest the car is worth low 60's isn't right...gives buyers the false hope of finding a car at that price, and a clean car isn't out there for those numbers

9. pigcorn

pigcorn Rookie

Apr 10, 2007
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks. Yes it is US model.

Took a second look at it online and although it says Private sale it has Dealer Plates on it and the carfax has 22 entries ZFFYR51A7X0117390.. it says JUST SERVICED BY FERRAI OF SAN DIEGO WITH RECEIPTS

Not looking to low ball, if I average out the feedback I think it around 70k give or take a few k's.

10. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    In the present market if a dealer is asking 74k (and that seems like a fair price in your market) I would suggest making an offer in the low 60s and taking it from there.

11. pigcorn

pigcorn Rookie

Apr 10, 2007
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Have we seen reports\posts where someone has negotiated a 360 in good condition in the high\mid 60k's?

12. hifipj

hifipj Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2009
  13. pigcorn

pigcorn Rookie

Apr 10, 2007
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #13 pigcorn, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    Wow that is a great price. I know it is not the most popular color like the red\tan and no shields or scud bumper but even so if you throw a few k's at that it is still mid 60's. Thanks for the info.

14. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    #14 DMaury, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    And those owners that don’t/won't budge will continue to sit on their cars as they will not sell. Those guys continue to lose huge $ in depreciations because they won't take the realistic offers given them thinking the car is worth more than it is.

My 2 cents; 68K

15. HHogan

HHogan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2008
    Mississauga
    Full Name:
    Bob
    And it being a 1 owner car makes that the likely case. Just preparing the guy for that possibility which is very good IMO.

16. 360blue

360blue Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2007
    Hancock Park
    Full Name:
    adil
    I disagree. I did not budge and got exactly what I wanted and mine was worth it. If the car is good, you dont need to budge unless you are financially distressed. AF

17. DerWebMeister

Aug 21, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Why would you deduct alot off the car if it were a Euro model?

18. Brav

Brav Formula 3

Nov 20, 2005
    OC, Rome
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Perceived lower value. People think its a "bastardized" version of the correct car. Which is partially true, as it must be modified for Federalized use in the US. They are simply "Grey Market" cars, and perfectly legal and normal. But really, its more of a "correct" car than the US spec, as it is how it was originally designed for EU market. They are a bit lighter, many times no pre-cats (49 state cars), make a bit more power, and generally cost less. Many had warranty concerns which was the primary aversion, as some dealers would refuse service, from what I hear. But any campaigns/recalls are all taken care of. But most 360s are out of warranty anyhow. Search, lots of info on this..

19. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    All true, a perfectly fine car at this point compared to other early 360's, but, they started out on the value curve a good bit lower than the US spec model. Eventually, like the 328's, the euro and US spec 360's will attain parity in resale costs, but are YOU going to be the guy to eat the difference? I promise you the guy trying to sell the Euro didn't pay the same as a US spec car. If I'm trying to buy one I'm going to expect to be able to buy it for less from him as well.

20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I agree with this post and keep in mind that changes were MINOR for the 360. One point, the statement "But any campaigns/recalls are all taken care of" is an overstatement. People call it nit picking but Recalls are taken care or. Campaigns are at the discretion of Ferrari and FNA won't do them for free on a gray market car. All it really means is you have to make sure that the major stuff like variators are done or factor that into your cost.

21. jsanocki

jsanocki Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2006
    NJ
    What??? You mean that you know someone who took their Euro Ferrari to a dealership and offered to pay for a $4,000 service, and the dealer actually took the money??? NO WAY....

Come on, the stigma of a Euro car needs to be put to rest. ANY dealership will provide service to the car....they aren't going to pull it out of the service bay because the VIN has a "B" in it!!!

22. hifipj

hifipj Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2009
    Yes, looked at a Yellow '99 euro that otherwise looked very nice and clean.. (won't mention where saw as it's STILL for sale, after 6 months, which should say something).

However upon digging deeper found that the last time the owner changed the belts was SIX years ago (holy cow!), and the variators had NOT been done, the dealer won't do it free of charge to customer w/belt change (not covered by Ferrari). So to the seemingly good price of $65k, added to that must be another nearly $6000 for 30k service + variators.

Service history is an absolute must - and the occasional car the comes along seeming a bargain many times is not.

23. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Of course they will service even a Yugo if you pay them. I didn't want to get into this, but I meant warranty stuff.

24. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That is the difference between campaigns and recalls. Just be sure you do the due diligence.

As for 6 years on the belts, so what? If you get them done it doesn't matter if it was 6 years because the issue is with belts braking not with engine damage from the belts aging. SO, if there wasn't a broken belt who cares.

6 years since fluids or any service would be a different problem.

As for dealers and service. Not a problem! Yes, this is the voice of experience. Testaco is right about warranty but 360s are long out of warranty so this too is a non-issue.

25. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    The thing is that I deleted me earlier post since some people wont believe that some dealers did warranty work on euro cars.

To original poster,
    like everyone else said, an euro car is ok to purchase, but don't expect to low ball them to much since there are no more new 360 cars. If was out to buy a 360 I would choose a good euro car and save a little bit of money plus. I might buy a 328 in the future, but it will be an euro or nothing at all.