Models of race damaged cars | FerrariChat

Models of race damaged cars

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by 4rePhill, Nov 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Hi guys, first let Me confess that I'm not a model builder Myself and am in absolute awe of what you achieve.

I was just wondering though, all the models I've seen so far are of cars in what I would call "pre race" condition, i.e, clean with no damage anywhere. Do any of you guys ever convert or modify your models so they have a "just raced" appearance, i.e, dirt and damage on them?.
    It struck Me as an interesting new challenge for some of the builders.

In one thread I noted someone wasn't happy with the engine cowling on their Audi Le mans model and got fed up trying to correct it. My first thought was, instead of trying to make it perfect, why not add some small pieces of duct tape and make it appear as though there had been a temporary mid race repair.

Sorry if this topic has been covered before, If it has, could someone just point Me in the right direction.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hot Wheels actually did a whole set of 1:18 competition cars in the 'dirty' appearance...not so much damaged as 'run in"......

3. veyron407

veyron407 Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    canada
    Exoto did a crashed GT40.

4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I've got one of the Hot wheels "dirty" Schumacher Ferrari's in My small collection (none of them are kits I'm afraid, they're all pre built models), complete with the tyre wear.

I was just curious as to wether anyone here has tried to re shape the model parts to replicate damage during a race. This could be an interesting challenge for the more advanced model builders on here.

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Some get done that way, but I agree, most of 'em are "as they roll of the truck" at the start of the meeting - Race cars are typically prepared "nicely" - However, some other stuff looks great when "weathered" (the "official" name for the technique) - The raliroad guys are the kings of weathering as their stuff pretty much always looks like crap! [Ever seen a clean train? ;)]

Here's a little tutorial on weathering a big ol' truck for "inspiration":

http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutorials/tutorial/112

There's also a link at the bottom to another tutorial on "rusting"..... Not something we'd hope to see on an F1 car :eek: but looks like a fun technique.

I'm thinking about doing a "post race" version one of these days - Just some rubber dust on the sides and maybe some "burnt" sections around the pipes etc - One day!.....

cheers,
    Ian

6. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    But what about panel damage, broken headlamps in dented wings?. Signs of rushed repairs carried out mid race.

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Can certainly be done, but it's *hard* to make it look "real" - A lot of the attempts I've seen look more like the builder screwed something up rather than realistic unfortunately.

A post-race Le Mans car would probably be the best target, but even then good looking duct tape [and bailing wire? ;)] is really tough to get "right" - At least for me....

Hopefully those more skilled than me will post what they've done - Even better, how they did it!..... [Hint, hint....]

Cheers,
    Ian

8. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #8 Nurburgringer, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have 2 "post-race" models: Autoart #18 1953 C-Type and Exoto #11 1965 Cobra Daytona, as they finished LeMans.

Both were done by Dennis Koleber, who does all the 'finish line' series for Exoto and GMP.

The Cobra is one of 4 made as development models for Exoto, but the cost was too high for them to make these a series (body needed to be removed and then significant time denting/grinding the nose) so there are only 4.
    One of the four was was sold on Ebay a few years ago by a guy who had 2 of the 4 prototypes sent by mistake by Exoto in a large shipment of "regular" Daytonas!

I had the C-type weathered as a gift for my father, a big Jaguar fan.
    The windscreen should really be broken in half, which Dennis didn't do but I may try someday using needlenose pliers...

Here is his website: http://www.denniskoleber.com/

Did somebody mention duct-tape? :)
    http://www.denniskoleber.com/images/photos/Public/Modified%20Die%20Cast/1-12th%20GMP%20GT40MKIV%202.jpg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. CollectorMorry

CollectorMorry Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Morry Barmak
  10. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
  11. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Making the little tiny smashed bugs must be difficult! ;)

12. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

I can imagine how hard it would be to make a model look race damaged as it would require heating and remolding parts to get the right effect.

I love the GT40 with the duct tape, a typical LeMans style race repair.

As for the 250 GTO, are you sure that's not a real car? (I know it's a model but if you just saw the picture you'd never tell).

Maybe I should contact some of the model companies with the idea. I was thinking along the lines of Villeneuves '79 Zandvoort car with the wheel hanging off or the '81 Canadian car when he raced on despite the nose damge to the car.

Okay, these are from a film but how about Erich Stahler's Ferrari 512 from " LeMans ", after it has hit the barrier, with all the dirt and the smashed front wing/fender?.

Steve McQueens 917 smashed up against the barrier complete with grass and bent armaco would make an interesting diorama (for true authenicity you could opt to show the yellow of the Lola T70 stunt car as well but I personally would leave it blue).

Just a thought for a variation on the normal models.

As I have said, it could make an interesting challenge for the more advanced model makers.

13. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
  14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #15 El Wayne, Nov 22, 2009
  15. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #16 Nurburgringer, Nov 23, 2009
  16. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Yes!,that's the sort of thing I was thinking about!.

El Wayne: that's exactly the sort of subject I was thinking about as well, thank you.

Sadly I don't think I would ever have the time or patience to make these "damaged" models Myself, but you never know, maybe in the future (something to do when I retire perhaps, although that's at least 25 years away).

If I've inspired any of the model makers on here to give it a go, I'd love to see pictures of the results ( I'm sure WOLFMAN could rise to the challenge for a start!).

Again, thank you for all the replies. :)