TR Engine bonnet insulation | FerrariChat

TR Engine bonnet insulation

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by MGJBLKTR, Nov 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    #1 MGJBLKTR, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My engine bonnet insulation was a mess so I ordered a roll from Ebay same as Carguy used. I tried to find a heat resistant black foam but it was over $100 a roll and just seemed a bit too much for what it is so I went the silver pipe cover. I spent a couple hours scraping off the old insulation. Once the mold is cut of the new insulation I will finish cleaning and install. Also, if I have any left over I will cut additional pieces to fit for who ever needs it. Enjoy.

-Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    please post a link or info about the Ebay seller & product...
    thanks in advance,
    Vincenzo

3. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    You might check out McMaster-Carr on the web. They have a variety of black foam sheets appropriate for this application. Inexpensive as well.

4. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    Thanks for the tip. I will check them out before I put on the new insulation. I really prefer the black just wasn't going to spend a lot of cash for it.

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  6. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    I have read that post and originally wanted to do the black foam. After going to the McMaster-Carr site I have ordered a black foam piece. I will cut to size and install. I still have the other silver insulation if anyone is interested I can cut to size and send it to you. I already opened it so I can't return it. Let me know.

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Finished the job on your car...?

Love to see the result...

8. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    I should have it put back on today. I will take some pics and post. I am glad I went with the black insulation.

9. jfc4321

jfc4321 Rookie

Dec 27, 2004
    Please post what black foam you ordered from McMaster-Carr They seem to have many confusing options. Also, what was the silver option you mentioned. Was it foam?
    What type of adhesive did you use? Sorry to bother you with so many questions, but I am about to start the process

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I got a piece of rubberfoam, normally used against condensation for free from a local aircobuilder....!

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Michael -- how did the (black) McMaster-Carr material work out? I have the same questions as jfc4321 (and please comment too jfc4321 if you did this project) -- what material and what adhesive?