Wow John O'Quinn Died this morning | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wow John O'Quinn Died this morning

Discussion in 'Texas' started by F355 Fan 82, Oct 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I had a nice conversation with him some years ago. He was a very interesting guy as well as a legendary Atty.

RIP

2. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    He was an impressive person indeed. Someone close to him ( Mechanic) and I were having lunch a few days ago (2 days before his passing), and we talked about John's passions in life: Law, Philantrophy and Cars. He was a strong Democrat with a big heart.
    One of his few faults killed him, unfortunately. He was known for not being a good driver. He wrecked several cars, and repair bills usually run in the Teens of thoud=sands...what a pitty.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My Mama always tolt me dat if I didnt have anything good to say, I shouldnt. So I ain't gonna.

Dale

4. Green

Green Karting

Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Same here.

5. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I did not read about it until this morning and I'm shocked. Back in the early 90's when he was litigating the breast implant and asbestos case's I was working in court reporting. I was delivering and picking up court documents and supplying law firm's with notarized documents and O'Quinn was a huge client of ours. I rode the elevator with him one day and introduced myself to him and mentioned the company I represented, he was very genuine and nice to me. "Big Bad John" will truelly be missed by friend and foe.

I find it very difficult to grasp his lack of concern for not only his life but his passenger's life by not buckling up!! As most of you know I'm currently attending a police academy and I hope to focus on traffic safety, hopefully with DPS, and this loss cement's even more my desire to persue that area.

RIP John

6. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  7. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
    Just saw this, apparently some of the collection will be auctioned off....

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7258503&rss=rss-ktrk-article-7258503

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It's a prized collection of hundreds of classic cars, some of them irreplaceable. It was the pride of a prominent Houston attorney killed in a car accident last year And now we know where that collection may be headed -- the auction block.

During his life, attorney John O'Quinn made vast sums of money on personal injury cases. A lot of that money was given back to the community. But much of it was invested into his own treasure chest -- his impressive car collection.

O'Quinn and his common-law wife, Darla Lexington, spent the last 10 years assembling one of the most fabulous collections of classic cars. At 800 plus, it was arguably one of the best in the world. In an interview with Eyewitness News, O'Quinn talked about his vision for a museum that would house it.

"The car is a big part of American history, transportation, the car is a big part," he said. "Right now, kids don't know about these cars."

But O'Quinn would not live to see his dream. In October, his life was cut short after a deadly crash on Allen Parkway. What's more, the impressive collection is now being broken off into pieces. Several cars have already been auctioned off, much to the dismay of his wife.

Lexington's attorney Jimmy Williamson says it's a matter of economics.

"The estate is on solid ground, but, of course, there are settlements out there," he said. "There are claims against the estate. There are debts, just like any person who has assets has debts and all of those have to be accommodated and dealt with in a responsible fashion."

While it's not to say a museum won't happen, Williamson says it certainly won't be on the scale they had hoped for.

Williamson says Lexington is fully supportive of the executor's efforts to keep the estate on solid footing. More cars from the collection will go on sale next month at an auction in Florida and some more a few weeks after that.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We'd seen his Bugatti EB110 at a recent event.....interesting.

That's the first time I'd seen her referred to as "common law wife" although she is the "manager" of the entity that maintains the cars...

9. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Someone should keep us updated on this "auction" and when and what cars are going to be sold... Please

10. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
    +1

I'd like to know when/where they're going to be auctioned (not that I could swing one of those Duesenberg Model Js!).

I would imagine the upcoming Keels & Wheels would be a good/convenient venue. Any consigned yet?

11. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #36 Peloton25, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

BELOW IS A LIST OF CARS KNOWN TO BE IN THE JOHN O'QUINN COLLECTION - not necessarily a list of those up for consignment yet.

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #38 Peloton25, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #39 BigTex, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    Interesting list...

Apparently he bought the 348GT Competizione from Ferrari of Atlanta? 2007 was the purchase date. That was a very rare car.

And the 575 was the one his employee stole for a time, they went to check on it, and it "wasn't there"..

Lady Valeria's shop supplied some of the equipment to that Warehouse facility....a shame about the liquidation.....

"Dying in recessionary times" does indeed cause some problems.....geez, what a statement!

Where's SkizoAce, did you buy his house????

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A 1967 Pontiac Firebird 400!

15. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    So he was the person that bought the Pope's car.

16. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
  17. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    What an amazing collection. I would love to get one of his Delahaye's or the Talbot Lago's.

18. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    article in today's Houston Chronicle talking about the car and the museum he wanted. whats his wife thinking???

19. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    link: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6865370.html

sounds like she's getting rid of the cars as part of the grieving process/saying goodbye to him. sad, she may end up regretting it.

I wonder how many of these cars end up in Leno or Ralph Lauren's collections.

20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You missed a part of the article. These cars are being sold because O'Quinn owes $45 million to a group of former clients he overcharged.

Dale

21. MurcieMurcie

MurcieMurcie F1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2004
    If he was a Billionaire would'nt $45 mil be a drop in the bucket and assets wouldnt need to be liquidated to make payment?

22. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yeah, something isn't adding up. I saw the part about the $$ owed to the clients and thought the same thing.

23. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Nothing is a "drop in the bucket" when its an estate settlement. Even in Texas, sadly one's estate is assessed "death taxes"--and if its not set up correctly, 45% is a big number.

I'm certainly not an estate lawyer but the couple estates with which I've been involved suggest that executors often have very different obligations and motivations than those for whom they work and beneficiaries.

The article also suggests the cars were in a foundation but critical are many factors not known: as in how was it set up and who truly controls it. Also, without knowing details, how does his common law wife figure into all of this--obviously she's not the executrix of the estate. That says something there. Is she the beneficiary of the assets, only a portion of income or gets a simply cash payout with the estate instead benefitting another or a charity?

Point is nothing is simple in death, except you'll not reap any further enjoyment from that which you've lived. So be prudent but also be certain to live and enjoy as much as possible while you are still able...

and drive your Ferrari often, and always like you stole it. :)

24. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Anyone have a list of Ferraris he owned?

Museums setup by individuals often don't last all that long - just take a look at what happened to Harrah's...

That said, I breezed through what was left of Harrah's collection in downtown Reno a few years ago, and even though gutted, it was still worth a look.

Don't know much about big time individual collections, but do wonder how this stacks up against Leno's hoard, and what other individuals have gargantuan collections out there in garage-land...