348 Motronic 2.7 Ancillary belts lengths | FerrariChat

348 Motronic 2.7 Ancillary belts lengths

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by MarkCollins, Nov 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Does anybody know the standard lengths for the Alternator and A/C belts

thanks

2. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Not sure, but I do know that in my '92 2.7, the standard alternator belt I rec'd in my Major kit from Ricambi was way too small. I know Daniel did find a different belt that fits. I just bought the same belt that another 348 owner with the same problem found worked. I believe this discussion is listed in the 348 Parts Interchange sticky thread.

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    As we found out in the alternator rebuild thread there are two different length belts.
    The trick is figuring out what alternator you have, the 90 or the 105.

A for the a/c belt, I think (??) that are all the same length?

4. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins

Hi Ernie

thanks for that, do you think they'd be the same as for the 355?

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #5 ernie, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
    Like I said, it depends on what alternator you have. Actually I think the real difference is the pulley size, but we never got around to measuring the size of the pulleys. Though I will say that the 355 has the alternator on the opposite side of the engine, as compared to the 348, so you may even have a different size tensioner bearing for the 355 alternator?

Maybe that's the next thing we need to figure out, the different size pulleys and tensioners, on the 348 vs the 355. I do know that for the most part they use the same Nippondenso alternators. So maybe the outer diameter of the crank pulleys is different between the two, and that could be a reason why one belt is smaller that the other???? But the only way to know is to get measurements and start comparing.

How about you measure yours (crank, alternator & tensioner) and let us know what you find?