front licence plates | FerrariChat

front licence plates

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ria, Nov 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    how many of you display your licence plates in the front of your TR? 86 TR i have no braket to display my plate in the front valance. any of you have plates in the front? photos? info on a braket? i live in ohio i do not want to get pull over for no display of front plate. thanks.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    This thread describes how it's mounted on a TR (and some "alternate" methods):

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226530

I've put mine on as shown in the edited photograph in post #1 with the white lines, but don't have any as-mounted photograph.

I doubt you can still get these as a spare part, nor that it comes with the white plastic anchor and screw (except maybe off a wrecked car), but the "L" brackets for the US grill that form the upper mounting holes for the US plate are item #7 here:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=2905

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have a whole box of those laying around somewhere. We took them off every new TR because the were ugly and no one wanted a front plate. They are very cheaply made of low quality aluminum and I doubt they would handle the weight of a US plate and frame vibrating on there for very long.

Better to make a mount.

4. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    ugly it is for sure. i may just not put a plate in the front it looks bad on the other hand i do not want to get a gift from the police i am' now stuck.

5. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
  6. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    I've never put any front plate on any car I've owned and never had any problem, knock on wood.

7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    I have pondered over how to design this exact same product.... now the work is already done! That is soooo slick....

Presumably one can cut a slot out of the airdam where it meets the body.... it would hardly be noticable. That is soooo slick - THANKS for posting!

It is worth the cost just too see the look on an officer's face when after hearing you insist the car has a front plate, he walks around the front to see it boldly displayed.... the puzzled look on his face would be priceless.

I doubt I could keep a straight face.

Too bad I find out just after the air dam was refinished :-(

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

8. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    #8 sparky p-51, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
    My fix for the front plate deal was to loosten the center spoiler 10mm support bolt to the rt of the windshield washer bottle and slip in a piece of thin galvanized metal that has been bent 90 deg downward and bolt the plate to it. Tighten the support bolt so that the metal plate holder is squezed between the spoiler and bumper. Used two spring clamps on the inside to hold the plate pak to the fiberglass. Plate hangs down 1.5 in below the spoiler. I bent the plate back 90 deg under the spoiler with the help of a ballpien hammer and voilla....Johnny law seems to be happy with the fix. Fog over the plate with a little flat black rattle can paint to dull the thing down and make it less noticeable. Has worked for 3 years with no stops. No holes drilled....no cut outs.

9. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Sort of like James Bond kinda stuff..........Check out this vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1zIGPyJunI&feature=player_embedded

10. GRIESDALE

GRIESDALE Karting

Nov 12, 2001
    Lions Bay, B.C. Canada
    Full Name:
    Donald Griesdale
    I've posted this before and Spasso has seen this solution. No problems so far!! Don

11. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    What state are you in? Some are more willing to let this problem slide (Nevada) than others (California).

12. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    OHIO.

13. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
  14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #14 Spasso, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I used a black steel piece and bent it at 90 degrees like mentioned above.
    The flange that goes between the airdam and bumper, back to the 10mm bolt is triangular shaped.

The flange that hangs down has a strip of rubber on the back even with the lower lip of the airdam so when the plate gets pushed back it doesn't scrape the airdam.

The plastic frame around the license plate is the sacrificial element of the assembly. It also tells me when I am getting "close".

Even though it's a Euro plate it makes a great target for laser. I've never been harassed for it in the two years it's been there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Spasso,

Does your state require front plates? Do they see that and think "OK?" Hard to believe but I guess ...

In MD we are required to carry a front plate. Simple white background and black numbers. Modifying its size might work...

CC

16. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary

I like your front plate, but you should be extremely careful not to approach a state trooper from the rear on the freeway. I really doubt he/she will be very amused to see "MOVE IT" in their rear view mirror. :)

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Yes, they require front plates.
    I ran a 70's vintage Euro front plate on my 308 for five years, white with black numbers. Never pulled over for it.

I've been lasered from the front numerous times in the 308 and the TR but not pulled over.

I think because I am not driving in the city much might help my case. I live out in the sticks and the local police know who I am. They don't seem to take issue with it......so far.

18. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #18 Spasso, Nov 24, 2009
    Yeah, I thought about that. I am hoping they'll see the 'humor' in it.:p:p

I figure as long as I don't run up on them too quick they might not get too upset.

See the picture below, taken on the way to Mordalo's house. He should have given me a ticket then but he didn't.

19. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #19 Spasso, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
    Sparky P-51 runs a standard US type plate on the front of his TR mounted at the same height as mine. His hangs lower than mine so he bent the lower lip back under the airdam. The Police don't seem to mind how it is on his car.

The nice thing about this method is that there are no holes drilled anywhere.

If I do have to run a standard plate it will bolt right on.

20. HOU

HOU Karting

May 2, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    John S
    i was stopped by the state highway patrol and given a warning ticket for no front plate. nice officer told me they were instructed to start enforcing the state law requirement. also told me next time they would see in the data base that i had been given a warning and probably not let me off.

i considered all that. i now carry a photocopy of the plate mounted on cardboard. i keep it handy by the console. whenever i see the police, i throw it up on the dashboard.

my story will be: no place to mount it on the front (which is the truth) of the 512M. i am doing my best to comply and meet the intent with the license displayed on the dash.

might work, might not...........and so it goes

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    They won't buy the dashboard thing here. It's got to be out front.
    I have the standard license plate under my front seat with long black cable ties pre-threaded through the holes.
    If necessary I'll zip it on over the Euro plate real quick. The plastic frame on the Euro plate will act as a spacer between the two until I make things more permanent..

22. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #22 kerrywittig, Dec 1, 2009
    I am in NY state and have never run a front plate on any car I have owned for the last 25 years....Been stopped a few times in my truck, TR and Maserati.....I explained that on the Maz & TR there was no mount and also produced the plate(s) that I keep under the seat......no problem, the Police understood that holes were not to be drilled in these cars!! With the pickup I keep the plate on the rear floor of the crewcab and blame it on my son who "detailed" the truck and must have gotten lazy and not remounted it. On to the dash it goes and back on the floor when the PD is out of sight.............

Now my Ford CV P71 is another story.......I just don't run plates front or rear on it............and I have never been stopped............ By the way the P71 now handles better than the TR after extensive suspension and brake upgrades and modifications......Sad but true!!

So maybe the best way of dealing with the no plate up front issue on a TR is to blame it on the "detail shop"......and leave the plate in the front boot/trunk............where you find it after shaking your head and rummaging under the hood, "See, there's where he left it. You just can't get anyone to complete a job nowdays officer!".

Below are pix of the P71 with no plates, the pickup with no front plate mounted and the lone vanity plate on the rear of the TR......

Kerry

23. grngts

grngts Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There is what looks like a pretty handy front plate bracket that will fit many Ferrari grills listed in the Ferrariads section on 12/5/09 no holes or screws required.