How does an F1 trans impact the marketability of a 355 Spider? | FerrariChat

How does an F1 trans impact the marketability of a 355 Spider?

Discussion in '348/355' started by kiesan, Nov 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Thats my question, just like the title says.

If there were two 355 Spiders... model year 1998, same color combo, same condition (mint, perfect, no stories, clean ppi, recent service, clean title/carfax, less than 10k miles, no track use, etc., etc.), same, same, same. They were side by side for sale. However... 1 has a 6-speed and 1 has the F1 option.

I'm not asking which one you prefer. I already know I prefer the 6-speed. If either, which car is more expensive? How much more?

2. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    6-speed is worth more. I don't know by how much (especially since asking prices don't reflect selling prices), but in spending about 1/2 year searching the early 360's I was willing to pay about 10-15% more to get a stick comparing comprable cars, and asking prices seemed to reflect that. The 355 market could be different however if a higher % of them were made with sticks than the 360, which would make the premium for a stick car perhaps less as a % than with the 360.

3. PKF355

PKF355 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    sOCal
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    F1 is worth more even though there are more F1 spider produced than 6-spd spider. When it was released, F1 was a fairly expensive option which quickly gained wide acceptance from the buying majorities. A F1 trans (if maintained AND operated properly) can be just as satisfying to drive and shifted faster than a traditional 6-spd stick. However, it does take some time to get used to it and know how to use it correctly in various situations and traffic conditions. It's a wonderful system given its age. I have one. I absolutely love it. I was previously a die-hard 6-spd but now I'm a true believer in F1 paddle shift. Try it. It's that good.

4. geno355

geno355 Karting

Jul 5, 2007
    Winchester, KY
    Full Name:
    Geno Kearney
    But then what do you do with your left foot? Wouldn't it fall asleep?

5. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Feel free to throw out some numbers boys and girls. Assume yellow/black, Tubi, challenge grill and 7k miles. Mint, like new, services up to date, clean everything. No stories. '98 Spider.

Likely asking prices for either F1 or 6-speed from a private party.

6. PKF355

PKF355 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    sOCal
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I'm more concerned about my third foot falling asleep. Left foot? Naaaah...not a problem.:D

7. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    it sure would

8. PKF355

PKF355 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    sOCal
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I'll give it a shot....$68K.
    $70K if has adequate service records and ALL three key/remotes.

9. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Thanks. Same asking/selling price no matter which trans it has then?

10. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    +1

11. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    #11 andrew911, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
    ? The question is regarding the marketing/pricing of an F1, not the opinon of if people like the F1. With lower average clutch life and more potential costs regarding maintenance, the market factors some of this into the price. The rest (and perhaps bigger component) is based on supply and demand.

There may not be as much as a difference in price in the 355 market, but there is in the 360 market. I noticed during my search that even if two comprable cars were for sale at the same asking price, the 6-speed was gone first. Because of this, I had to geographically expand my search, and wound up buying a car 1,200 miles away.

My theory on this has been that yes the F1 was an expensive option new and many people got it because they wanted the latest/greatest technology, but now that these cars are >10 years old and on their 3-6th owner, that population tends to place less value on a car that can lap fiorano 2 seconds faster and are more interested in the overall experience.

There are people that love the F1 and I respect that (especially those tracking the cars)...there are also others like me that would not buy a 355/360 with F1 (but I would get an F1 599GTB over a stick!). I still think the 6-speed is worth more comparing two cars in the 355 market- I don't know by how much, but probably less than the 360 market. This is not meant as an insult to anyone with an F1- they are all awesome 355s after all. It is also a gut feeling I have- haven't done a specific spreadsheet on 355s (although I did have one running during my 360 search), and typically you only can figure out 2 things - the asking price and the amount of time on the market- rarely can you get an accurate sale price short of knowing the person who bought the car or the occasional ebay completed sale which even then is iffy on it's representation of the market.

This is all just f-chat forum talk...I'd rather BS about this over some beers with everyone, especially on a Friday ;)

-Andrew

12. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Thanks very much. This is just the type of feedback I was looking for. I was under the impression as well that a 6-speed car would have greater overall appeal in the market and would sell for more $$$ or at least faster. So now we can see if the seller agrees :)

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If the buyer understands the costs of the clutch usage (F1 vs. M6) and the potential costs of the hydraulic system taking a barf or the F1 computer taking a barf, the M6 willl be seen as the more valuable arrangement.

At least when something goes wrong with a M6 you can still drive the car home.