Another test for Rossi | FerrariChat

Another test for Rossi

Discussion in 'F1' started by beast, Nov 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Shortage of drivers on contract.
    Down to half the grid.

2. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

he speaks the truth.

4. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    It makes sponsors happy.

I just hope they will lend him an old car, to not waste testing time.

5. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    Good point, if they put him in a current car so he could kick Massa's and Alonso's asses, where would this leave Ferrari?

6. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Your kidding, right ?
    Badoer is faster than Rossi.

7. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    Doesn't it make you smile when such an icon get's into an F1 car and is just... "ok"? It puts these machines into perspective. I always enjoy watching Rossi. It seems like he has a true passion for life, enjoying every moment. With the right amount of preparation, he would be just as fast as the rest of the field. These are all PR runs for both him and Ferrari.

8. indy-25

indy-25 Karting

Nov 19, 2006
    Does Rossi count into the teams testing allowance since hes not an offical driver?

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #10 tifosi12, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
    Total waste of seat time. Just another PR stunt.

Not really. Last time they tried desperately and he was still a second off. On a super short track like Fiorano.

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I would love to see him in a car on the grid. I have full faith he could do very well in F1 and expect he will before his racing career is over.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Wanna bet?

12. ms.gto

ms.gto Formula Junior

May 17, 2008
    Mornington Peninsula
    Full Name:
    andrew tregurtha

13. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I hear $10K is the usual here?...then again don't want any more members disappearing into thin air...

14. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    LoL :D

15. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Depends, if Sir Frank intends to block that as well.

I think they'll give him the F2007 anyways.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm cheap. Case of beer will do it for me.

The fun part about the bet challenge is, that it often shuts up people who make some ridiculous claims. You know things like Rossi is as fast as the regular F1 guys or Massa is faster than Alonso. In your dreams.

17. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I'm back from a day off. Wanna bet? Okay, I'll buy you the case of beer you want if you win, and as I don't drink, if I win, you can buy me a 1967 Ferrari 275GTB/4 (no models, full size please) ;-)

Here is why I believe he will be behind the wheel someday. Rossi is a viable sales and marketing tool for F1. He could easily pull in major sponsorship bucks and that is what F1 has been about for well over 25 years and I have been a fan, on and off, for over 40 years (remember all those great Japanese drivers from the past, present, future). There are many new teams/cars coming into the sport, who knows, maybe we will see cars actually having to qualify within a percent of pole time to make the grid again . . .doubtful. I'm quite sure some would love a high profile person who gives them a fan base to sell all the their F1 attire and put fannies in the empty desert seats. I never ever underestimate the power of the dollar, euro, yen, yuan, and pound in motor sports. Psssst, hey Valentino, we'll give you 40million a year to drive our car.

It really is up to Rossi, once he is done with Moto GP, no one ever knows what may happen, I do believe that he has thoughts of giving F1 a go. Time will settle our bet. Com'on Valentino, I need a new car to drive on the weekends.

Kyle and Brian, Please don't embarrass yourselves with boyish comments when you are among men.

18. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    On paper Rossi is perfect.
    Its behind the wheel where the problems start.

19. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Yep has had some spins, but he has some decent times and if MS says he is capable I believe him.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Somehow betting a case of beer vs a 275 seems lobsided to me. If you stick with beer, you got a bet. But what kind of bet?

I wouldn't actually deny that Rossi has a chance at a F1 seat. As you pointed out convincingly, he could be of interest to a team. After all some people hired even a looser like Piquet Jr. or Senna Jr. just to get some PR. So the question is more, if Rossi ends up in F1, how far would he advance or how long would he stay? That's a bit harder to define since even Piquet ended up on the podium in Hockenheim and we all have seen the USGP 2005, where even Rossi would have ended up on the podium.

Under normal circumstances however he would be amongst the also-runs. Because one second off the pace of Fiorano puts him at about 1.3 to 1.5 off on a regular track. So he'd be another Fisichella/BADoer in the Ferrari or whatever he gets to drive. But he wouldn't be fighting for the podium nor even points.

21. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    How old are you? That spot was filled by someone called Ago. Just like Ali.

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    A question I often have.

23. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    #24 aquapuss, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
    Consider yourself lucky. I'm at the point where I can buy all the booze I want, where ever I want and nobody is interested in my age.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Same here. My white beard probably gives it away....