Major Service Cost | FerrariChat

Major Service Cost

Discussion in '308/328' started by jal111, Nov 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jal111

jal111 Rookie

Nov 18, 2009
    Planning to buy my first Ferrari. I've done some research and found that 308, 328 and Mondial are the cheapest to maintained. Anybody have an idea on how much it will cost me to have a major service done on this cars. I'm living in Southern California, anything Ferrari mechanics you know in this area that are good and charges reasonably?

Thanks

2. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
  3. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    In 1988 I paid about $3400 +/- to have one done at European Auto in Costa Mesa.

Did the last major myself as I have a place to work on the car myself, now. Parts were about $700, without looking at the receipts, no electrical stuff replaced, only cleaned and points filed.

If you have the dizzy caps and rotors and plug wires replaced it will cost you about $1K more rather than if the existing ones are cleaned up, assuming they are usable.

Motor in car labor is perhaps 32-40 hours times the shops hourly rate, plus parts like cam belts and bearings and gaskets and water pump rebuild kits.

Now, from what I have read here, some people have been bent over for around $12-$18K for a major on one of these. Know your shop. One of my observations is places that serve the customers wine and such, charge too much.

Doug

4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    There are many people on F-chat that have raved about Eugenio. He is in the San Dimas vicinity. Last I looked he posted his standard charges on his website.

What none of this will tell you is what it will take to troubleshoot and repair some condition. Troubleshooting by its nature is shop rate times however long it takes to figure it out.

If you want to understand the parts cost that go into a major look at Ricambi or T. Rutlands websites. Both have major service parts in a kit with a single price.

Jeff

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #5 Bullfighter, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
    My last one on the 328 was ~$5400 at Bobileff, last year. That was valve adjustment, belts, fluids, water pump, etc.

FoSD quoted me $9300.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jon- Agree. Bobileff is a really good shop. The Ferrari dealerships will not tell you this, but they have Bobileff do a lot of service work on their used car inventory. Mine passed through a SoCal dealership and they had Bobileff do the belts and fluid changes on my future 575M in Spring, 2008. Less expensive than they can do it themselves using their own technicians. Plus they know it will be done correctly at Bobileff.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

7. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #7 jsa330, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
    Basic cost of a complete-complete major at Norwoods in Dallas was just under $5K for my '83 GTS in early 2008.

I had bought the car out of state; with the "might as well do its" and non-essential extras I asked for it was closer to $7K.

These guys are the best in town, BTW.

Not CA, but might give you a little comparison basis.

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My 84 QV had the 60,000 miles service at Fof SF back in 2001
    and the total price was $14,000 But since then Ive been doing my own
    maintenance.

9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Going to a Ferrari dealership for a major on a 308 or 328 is a good way to burn money. There are too many good independants around that can do it for a lot less.

Expect a $4k to $5k base cost, and add in 20% for 'incidentals'. You should do the water pump while you're in there, that costs extra. Might as well rebuild the A/C compressor too. It adds up.

10. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    That's very high for FofSF, guessing you had a lot more done than a basic service, even if engine out.

11. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    Not much to add, except that one's definition of a major service may differ from another's. I just had my car's timing belts replaced and water pump rebuilt and a few other small things taken care of for just under $2k. The same shop quoted an additional $2k to do a full 30k mile service, which included adjustments of the valves, replacing all fluids, accessory belts, etc. I've seen invoices where others have spent over $10k for the full engine out treatment with hose replacements, AC rebuilding, etc.

Unless you do the work yourself, I would say, at a minimum, plan on $2k - $3k every 5 years or so just for the belts and water pump. Plan a bit more for to have the valves adjusted, but this isn't really a reoccurring expense. If the hoses haven't been replaced already, plan for that as well. (What, a couple grand for that?) The prices for everything else -- plugs, wires, fluid replacements, etc. -- is about the same as with non-Ferraris (unless you simply MUST go OEM on everything). OEM spark plug wires, for example, are $400 or so, vs. $50 for sets you can pick up at Autozone.

12. shawxhurst

shawxhurst Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve Hawxhurst
    +1
    Bobileff did my QV last year for about 5K. Keep in mind that although Ferrari maintenance costs can seem rather staggering, the cars refuse to depreciate so you get to keep the value

13. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    A 30K-mile major is described in detail by Ferrari. Not much room for interpretation, other than what kind of lubricants you choose.

The definition of "a belt service" as used on the Internet is anyone's guess, and gets tossed around here to mean anything from a simple timing belt swap to a full major service.

14. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "A 30K-mile major is described in detail by Ferrari. Not much room for interpretation, other than what kind of lubricants you choose."

Yep...Have to admit that sometimes I get the feeling that no one actually reads the owners manual or the service manual. :)

15. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    The original poster asked about the cost of a "major" service, not the 30k mile service.

16. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I believe the general consensus is that a "major" service is the 30k service as specified by Ferrari. Anything else is what folks call a "belt service" - and who knows what that entails. A "major" by the dealers here in the Chicago area seems to be running 6-7k - and it normally includes the tensioner bearings and water pump. Independents are obviously a little less, but I'm not sure how much - or how long your car will be there for it or the quality of work involved.

17. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    The 30k is a major service.

18. jal111

jal111 Rookie

Nov 18, 2009
    Thats what I mean of major service, 30k service. Thanks for all your response!!!

19. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I agree that it's pretty major, but I have the manual right in front of me and the chart doesn't mention the word "major" that I see.

Even if one assumes that the word "major" refers to the 30k mile service, as outlined in the manual, the chart still doesn't take into account a lot of "while you were in there" items such as having all fuel and coolant lines replaced on a 25 year old car, a removal and through cleaning of the fuse box (especially on the Mondial), etc.

20. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I think this is starting to fall into the "restoration" category.

Doug

21. Red 328 GTS

Red 328 GTS Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    #21 Red 328 GTS, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My car had the following work done on her 12 months ago -

Oil Change
    New Oil Filter
    New Timing Belts
    New Alternator Belt
    New Water Pump Belt
    New Air Conditioner Belt
    Coolant Flush
    3 Exhaust Bolts replaced

General bill of health given and a "See you next year".

Total cost of working including all parts and labour..........

$1372.00 Australian. That was about US$900.00 this time last year.

The work was carried out by a trained Ferrari Mechanic with is 60 years old and know these cars like the back of his hand.

The cars going back for a minor + Aircon Regas + Brakes and Gearbox oil change. I'll let you know what the total bill will be but I'm tipping it will still be a 3 digit sum including all the parts I've already purchased.
    Cheers,

Bob.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #22 greg328, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
    FWIW, I'm only marginally experienced fixing cars, but regarding my 1977 308 GTB, I've:

Replaced my cam belts/tensioners, synched my carbs, replaced ALL fuel lines (carbs, filler nozzle, crossover pipe), replaced my radiator, updated to modern radiator fans, replaced all drive belts, exchanged my entire suspension with better parts (shocks/springs/roll bars/control arm bushings), installed racing brake system (Coleman rotors/Wilwood calipers/SS lines), installed larger brake master cylinder, exchanged my steering rack for the quick-ratio one from Superformance UK, replaced my AC system with a modern Sanden rotary compressor/dryer/expansion valve/charged with freon/replaced the high-side line when it blew from a hole rubbed in it from body contact!, R and R'd my alternator after having it rebuilt to a higher amp spec, replaced my OE fuse box with Birdman's, installed an Alpine radio and amp, installed a new Momo steering wheel, replaced my door window motors, replaced all door rubber trim, removed my seats and console for cleaning, done all my fluid services (oil, coolant, gearbox oil) and probably some more stuff I'm forgetting right now. I may replace coolant hoses soon, even though mine look fine right now. I have Nick's XDI ignition system in a box in the garage, waiting to install it, as my OE ignition is working great right now.

In other words, with a well-stocked tool box, floor jack and stands, time, and a bit of confidence gained from F-Chat, ANYBODY can do most of the service items on these cars. Granted, I've not adjusted my valves, but when they need it, I'm going to jump in and do it. THESE CARS ARE NOT COMPLEX, especially the carburetor ones....

Plus, it's my therapy!

Greg

23. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Loud Applause!!!

Finally a shop that doesn't take part in the fleecing of Ferrari owners. Think what would happen to value of our 3x8 cars if folks charged realistic prices for these services that were more in line with other European makes.

Loud Applause continues.........

24. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Perhaps I'm missing something here...

This is not a major service, by any stretch...

Add oil and filter change
    Add tansaxle oil service
    Add brake fluid flush
    Add replace fuel and air flilters
    Add ignition service (caps, rotors, wires? and plugs)
    Add valve adjustment (VC gaskets, cam seals and distributor drive seals)

If this items were added, plus what he already had done (for a very fair price), then we could compare apples to apples.

Of course...opinions will vary.

David

25. Red 328 GTS

Red 328 GTS Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    This is pretty much what I'm having done on December 7.

Realistically if you add both jobs and the cost of parts (which I prefer to source) the job would be still under $2K. That's less than half what the Ferrari dealership quoted.

I buy all the parts from the usual suppliers mentioned on here which is once again less than half the price I would have to pay here.

Bob.