Blew a tire on the 405 offramp....Be Aware! | FerrariChat

Blew a tire on the 405 offramp....Be Aware!

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by GregD, Nov 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #1 GregD, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
    A word of caution for anyone exiting the 405 north off ramp at sunset blvd/west la.

I was getting off the 405 northbound at Sunset Blvd last night and hit a monster pothole right in the middle of the offramp. Deflated the tire immediately. Luckily I rolled off to the side of Sunset and parked in a no-drive zone.

The tow truck driver (AAA) knew exactly where I was. He said they've been getting between about 10-12 calls a day for blown tires at that location and about 5 a day for another down on Sunset By UCLA.

This game the City of LA is playing is costing everybody. I needed new tires anyways, but I don't appreciate paying the amount of tax imposed and watching our infrastructure and services crumble. I tried to go and look at the pothole while I was waiting and a chp came driving up (imagine that) and stopped about 50 feet down the ramp, so I spun around and went back to the car...the pothole was too far down the ramp anyways.

I'm glad it wasn't anything worse though.

By the way, AAA was very accomodating. They brought out a flat bed within 1/2 hour and I drove the car right up onto the ramp. He was very careful with regards to verifying clearance issues.

2. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Few months ago same thing happened to one of my co-workers on northbound 405 right before Getty center exit, blown tire, broken wheel, along with bunch of other cars.
    Hate to say it but our roads are looking like the ones in Tijuana

3. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I live in this area and the roads are awful. Sunset, from Beverly Hills to Barrington, feels like a road in a war zone.
    Last week I called our local city rep (Paul Koretz) and told him of my concern of the streets. I also reminded him of a 11/2 year old claim I have for rim damage from a pothole near Sunset and Beverly Glen. Hopefully he can speed up the claim. Also, told him my trees have not been trimmed for 20 years.

4. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I checked out the scene today and they filled it in with lumpy asphalt. No heat applied. Just a cheap one man patch by hand and shovel.
    I think this think will re-appear after the first rain or a few weeks of wear.

I know what you mean about the quality of road surface in west la. It's getting worse every year. I saw a truck catch some very uneven road and it started bouncing, then fishtailing right along sunset near whittier blvd, by the house with the sculptures.
    They've finally re-paved long sections of the curb lane.

5. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    When I walk my dog along Sunset, I often see hub caps in the parkway.
    Then I look for the adjacent pothole.