No Ferrari @ LA Auto Show? | FerrariChat

No Ferrari @ LA Auto Show?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Guaruja, Nov 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Guaruja

Guaruja Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2006
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Andre R
  2. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yep, several big manufacturers have pulled out. I have my press pass for the show, but I'll probably "pass". :)

3. Guaruja

Guaruja Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2006
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Andre R
    Yeah - I have a press pass for it as well... I'll probably go, especially since it will be during work hours ;)

4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

" Ferrari and its sister marque Maserati are out as well, with an unnamed source telling the industry pub, "It's just the economy. We're cutting back on a lot of things."

Things were looking up for the LA Auto Show last year as being the premier auto show in North America to the point of outshining Detroit. It kind of changes things now. This move seems a little short sighted as it's good to maintain a presence in this market regardless of the economy. So much for wealthy F customers not being seriously affected by the down turn.

5. jaev

jaev Rookie

Feb 29, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Seems very short sighted of them. Strange decision, given that (I think) Ferrari and Maserati went to the SF show.

6. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    +1, Won't be the same without Ferrari and Lambo.

7. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

My GF and I were talking about it and may sit this year out. Cruising around in the F booth was half the reason to go to the show.

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Is this the final word? I've heard rumors that Ferrari won't be there as well as rumors that Ferrari will be there. Is it possible to discover a 'final say' so to speak? I'm going no matter what - it'll my first time ever going to the Los Angeles Auto Show - but it would be nice to know before hand.

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I doubt these auto shows help their sales. They get a crap load of press for every new car and have waiting lists for them before they ever come out. I think it's a good decision by Ferrari's finance dept. Of course from the perspective of fans of the marque, not a good decision. ;)

10. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    They won't be there. I talked to several people who would know last night at the Maserati GT unveiling at Ferrari of Silicon Valley (nice car!) and apparently it is definite.

Gary

11. Guaruja

Guaruja Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2006
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Andre R
    Yes it's definite - I have the schedule press reveals / conferences for the show and no mention of either Ferrari or Lambo.

12. BuddhaTB

BuddhaTB Karting

May 1, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Very disappointing to hear that Ferrari and Lambo will not be at the show this year. I was really looking forward to seeing Ferrari display the 458. Not sure if I will attend this year or not as viewing the Ferrari and Lambo booths were the best part of the show to me.

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

#13 SrfCity, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
    F & L are a draw for the show to the point that you'd think they should get free space. Not sure if this is the case or they tried to push for it and talks fell apart? This is like losing your best anchor tenant's at a retail center. I know shows are expensive regardless but, it shows they didn't put a real high priority on the LA show. :(

P.S. - it seems surprising that it's just coming to light now that they're bailing? Doesn't show management try to lock in these people well in advance to prevent this kind of thing?

14. jaev

jaev Rookie

Feb 29, 2008
    Los Angeles
    You know, I never thought of auto shows - at least for exotics - as being directly about sales. I can't imagine any of the high end marques make many direct sales there (maybe I'm wrong). I always thought they were more about marketing than sales - creating excitement, showing off, maybe contributing to future sales. You're right about the waiting list, but that has been the case for years, so there has never been much of a direct sales reason.

The fact that they are going to some of the other, smaller shows makes me think this is some sort of dispute (money or otherwise) with the show itself, not really a policy decision.

15. erik1968

erik1968 Karting

Mar 30, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It's unfortunate that these manufacturers will not be there.

16. mnmblu

mnmblu Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2005
    Studio City CA
    Full Name:
    Alan S. Greene
    How can this be?? So, there really is only Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes to see? Let's face it, not all that interested in seeing the latest Spyker, or Chevy Colt, or green machine. I want to see the ITALIA!

So, I am basically going to see some Porsches. Enough of a reason to go, but what a disappointment. :(

17. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    I guess Porsche will take over the exotic section since there will be no exotics at the LA show.

18. mnmblu

mnmblu Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2005
    Studio City CA
    Full Name:
    Alan S. Greene
    Porsche has their usual spot. It's a private prime location. Not sure you can get better than their spot.

19. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    True. They've had that hall for YEARS and will probably NEVER give it up.

20. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

What was Parlato doing there then? Or, did you just throw that in for the hell of it?

21. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    I saw him and the other two guys from Ferrari NA and asked him when we were going to see the 458 over here. He said June, which I took to mean something private instead of an auto show. I said that maybe they should bring it to NY at least in April. He shrugged and said maybe. Doesn't seem to be much of a priority to show the 458 when it is still a ways off. Still have to move those 430s I suppose.

22. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #23 FastRed355, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
    Saw him last night at the Ferrari of Beverly Hills party.
    Spoke with a guy from FNA. Said it cost them around $500,000 to exhibit at the Auto Show. Big savings not to show.