seat hinge cover 400/412 | FerrariChat

seat hinge cover 400/412

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by ulf rickard, Nov 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ulf rickard

ulf rickard Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf Rickard
    #1 ulf rickard, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I suppose that more than I, have problems with broken covers. It´s easy to kick them entering the backseat.

Anyone solved this problem, made them another way, steel, reinforced plastic ?

Anyone know where to buy them ?

Ulf, Sweden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Search this forum because I think that one of the guys making sunvisor clips also is working on these covers as well. Within the last two months.

3. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I have done a search and they seem to be made of unobtainium. I could make them no trouble. I have found perfect ones to use as a master (you need 4 as they are all different - left/right and inside/outside) and have sourced a guy who can coat them. Anyway I can do it if enough people are interested. It does cost money to make the mold to re-produce these things.
    John

4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    John
    The two inside ones are probably less needed than the two outer ones. I would be interested in at least one for the right hand outside. Please get a cost estimate and then I think the orders will roll in.

Very similar parts are used on many models but they all seem to be NLA. I do not know if they are identical. If they are a big volume might be needed.
    Ken

5. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    The inside ones have the large hole for the seat rake adjustment knob and a cut out on the side. The outside ones do not have these. If I made them I would make the 2 outside ones in a mold and then CNC machine the large hole and cut-out to fabricate the inside ones. Then "chrome" them to give the silver surface finish exactly the same as the originals.
    Now I am just an owner that has access to the technology to make this happen. My seat hinges are fine on my car. So I would be doing people a favour in doing this. I will get a price for you guys and then you can decide if the price is OK. This may take a few weeks.
    John

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    How about cnc machine them out of aluminum?

7. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Someone has to generate the CNC file. Not easy to exactly match the original. Also the surface finish would be very difficult to match with CNC machining. If you use a rapid prototyping technology you get the exact replication of the original as well as the correct surface finish. For regular shaped objects such as speaker grills in a C4 then CNC is the way to go but very complex surfaces with complex curves such as these seat hinges are difficult to get the correct CNC file. You can use a laser scanner to generate the cloud data file then you generate the tool path from that but it is slow and expensive and does not necessarily give the correct surface finish.
    John

8. peder412

peder412 Rookie

Dec 27, 2003
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peder Hansen
    I would suggest making a silicon mould of an OK cover and then make a resin cast and paint it. I should be possible without too much job and the surface finish should be fine. It is possible to find help on the internet how to do it yourself. If you want a metal version of the cover then there are two casting possibilities. 1) Use the silicon mould to make a wax copy to be use for precision casting using a ceramic mould 2) make a sand casting with very fine sand. Both versions will require help from professionals. I can perhaps help with an OK cover because I for almost 10 years have owned a 412 – 5 speed. For your convenience I also live in Malmö – Sweeden.

Peder

9. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I would use a professional silicone mold and then inject resin to make the cover. This must then be coated in aluminium metal and then coated in a clear laquer to protect the aluminium to prevent it oxidizing. The other alternative is to aluminium coat followed by a silica coating in a vacuum tank using an electron gun which produces a much tougher coating. The original ones were I think aluminium coated with a varnish overcoating. I do not think they were chrome electroplated. Making the resin blank at home using a simple silicone mold is relatively easy but the aluminium coating is difficult. I should have a cost in the next few days to do the above.
    John

10. peder412

peder412 Rookie

Dec 27, 2003
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peder Hansen
    An alternative for a single cover can perhaps be Eurospares. They have a crashed 412 that is used for spare parts

http://eurospares.co.uk/breaking2.asp?page=91

I don't know if the covers are available, in good condition or expensive. It’s worth checking.

Regards Peder

11. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I finally did the calculations for the seat hinge covers. The initial outlay is $2k for a mold which is too much. This would produce 4 hinges at a time (there are 4 varients) but they would be much stronger with bigger diameter internal posts with metal nut inserts which means that M4 screws would be used to attach the covers rather than self tapping screws which break the thin posts. Then the covers must be aluminium coated and then covered with a protective layer (plastic/varnish like the originals or silica which is MUCH tougher). So $2000 up front and then about $60 each. So if say 10 people want them they would be $260 each. I would also need some deposit up front to pay for the mold. I am prepared to do it IF people send deposits and commit to purchase. I assume that $260 each is too expensive but please let me know if you are interested.
    John

12. Radiogeek1

Radiogeek1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2008
    Pleasant Ridge, MI
    Full Name:
    Bret Scott
    Hi, all-

Here's another alternative. A car recycler in England has been parting out his 400i on eBay (UK) for the last several months, and is down to his last 30-ish listings.

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/partsrange/

Included in their listing of Ferrari parts are 2 complete front seats, going for 125 UK Pounds each (around $215 each). As the shipping cost for the whole seat may be cost prohibitive, you might be able to write them and ask that only the hinge cover be sent.

I've purchase a few odds and ends from this seller and the parts were as described and shipped quickly.

Bret

13. ulf rickard

ulf rickard Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf Rickard
    thank You for this alternative. I will contact them on monday
    /Ulf

14. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Ulf
    I contacted the seller. If you win the seats he will ship you as much or as little of them as you want.
    Ken