328 Ignition Bezel | FerrariChat

328 Ignition Bezel

Discussion in '308/328' started by chalf87328, Nov 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chalf87328

chalf87328 Rookie

Jun 15, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    chalf87328
    The rubber ignition bezel on my 87 328 continues to come loose and can just be pulled out. There should be a plastic ring on the back side of the dash that holds the teeth of the bezel to keep it from falling out, but it appears the part is missing.

I have the replacement ring, but need to know how to remove the actual ignition from the dash so I can place the new ring behind the dash to hold the bezel.

Can anyone let me know how to remove the ignition from the dash?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My older 308s have that part held on by adhesive????

Literally glued to the vinyl......

3. chalf87328

chalf87328 Rookie

Jun 15, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    chalf87328
    Is it glued on the front of the dash?

4. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    I just leave mine loose so I can easily get into the dash and its wiring when I need to (someday I expect to have to restore the steering wheel locking mechanism and key assembly). As long as I don't grab it, it stays in place. If I ever decide to do a complete dash restoration I will use a more permanent means, probablly something mild like a drop of Gorilla Glue: it expands as it dries and will allow displacement to hold it in place...much better than a permanent attachment, like super glue...don't use that unles you want full permanence (probably wouldn't work well with rubber anyway).

Rob

5. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    I have'nt done this yet. However, if you are just replacing the electronics, you shouldn't have to remove the lock cylinder. You can unplug the switch assembly. I don't know yet what to do to remove the lock cylinder (may have to remove the steering wheel and anti-theft lock...let's just hope not).

ANOTHER NOTE: I looked at my 328 and the Ricambi site. Mine doesn't have the plastic trim piece, just the rubber surround. If you were talking about the trim piece, just adhere it to the dash. Sorry if I confused you on this.

Rob

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I'd suggest contact cement for an adhesive - it will be plenty strong but can be removed. I wouldn't use any other sort of adhesive for fear of damage to the dash or the part if future removal becomes necessary.

7. chalf87328

chalf87328 Rookie

Jun 15, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    chalf87328
    Thanks. Any particular type/brand of contact cement you suggest? That or the gorilla glue sounds like the best approach instead of trying to remove the lock cylinder to put the ring behind the dash.

8. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    so, if it's for the plastic trim piece, not the rubber insert, it will not look right. For that, Goop will work...it's a contact cement thet you apply to both surfaces, let dry, and stick together. It will hold well if you let it dry to touch. You will find it at Home Depot. Just use a small bit.

I was recommending the Gorilla Glue for the rubber inset/surround inside the dash area, not for the plastic trim bit.

Anyway, from looking at Rutlands' web site, it seems that the lock cylinder IS integrated into the anti-theft steering wheel lock. If you are just doing electrical stuff, the switch mechanism comes out from behind the key lock area. It looks like it is held in with a couple of bolts.

...anyone done this before...I haven't yet.

I have seen ignition switch assemblies (they look like a plug-in piece) for sale as well.
    Below is from Rutlands' ebay store (under 328):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Ignition-Switch-Back-For-Ferrari-with-Neiman-Switch_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2e97c4d5b7QQitemZ200114754999QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

9. chalf87328

chalf87328 Rookie

Jun 15, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    chalf87328
    #9 chalf87328, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think I need to start over. I have attached some photos to help me better explain. There are two pieces to the rubber bezel that goes around the ignition key cylinder. The front piece is a bulky rubber piece that surrounds the key cylinder on the front of the dash and has two grooved prongs that fit into the hole in the dash around the cylinder.

The second piece is a simple plastic ring that I believe goes around the key cylinder behind the dash. When the prongs on the front piece are pushed into the dash, they should click inside the plastic ring behind the dash to keep the front piece in place and snug against the dash.

I have included two photos that show the two pieces separate and two photos that show the pieces together as if the dash was between them.

What I was trying to figure out was a way to remove the key cylinder to get the plastic ring to fit around the cylinder behind the dash, so that it would hold the front part of the bezel in place.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. chalf87328

chalf87328 Rookie

Jun 15, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    chalf87328
    #10 chalf87328, Nov 21, 2009
    It may be easier to see on the attached diagram. Parts 13, 14 and 16 (14 and 16 go together as one part in the photos above). It's easier to see on this that part 13 (plastic ring) goes behind the dash, but has to be installed before the ignition key cylinder/barrel.

11. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    That was the Ricambi pic I saw. It seems that the plastic part #14 goes on the front of the dash. My car didn't have anything on the front save the large rubber piece (part #16). Mine does have the plastic ring in your pic...behind the dash. That would not seem to be part #14 in the pic. To insert the rubber piece, you just push and rotate the rubber piece until tight. However, if you are not getting good "grab" then you would have to replace the ring or use some adhesive on the grabbing teeth of the rubber piece. That's what I was referring to with the Gorilla glue; you would just place some on the teeth area, and when it expands, it would hold stronger.

Does anyone with a 328 have any plastic trim around thier ignition switch?

12. chalf87328

chalf87328 Rookie

Jun 15, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    chalf87328
    The two parts that go on the front of the dash (14 and 16) came separate when I ordered them, but they go together as a single part. The rubber piece (16) is like a large grommet that fits over the plastic piece (14) that has the teeth.

What I'm missing is the plastic ring behind the dash for the combined front piece to grab on to. Rather than using glue to hold it in place, I would prefer to put a new plastic ring behind the dash to hold it in place.

However, I can't find anywhere on this site how to remove the ignition key barrel/cylinder so that I can replace the plastic ring.

Does anyone know how to remove the ignition key barrel/cylinder?

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm "out" as that's a later style!

Sorry if my posts confuse anyone...

I'm not sure how it al mates to the dash but the igniton cylinder/lock rodd assembly is a chore to remove, and be careful it's a hard part to find if broken!

14. chalf87328

chalf87328 Rookie

Jun 15, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    chalf87328
    Given how difficult it sounds to remove the key lock cylinder, and since I have two of the front pieces, I'm going to experiment a bit by trying to lightly heat the legs of the grommet to bend them slightly outward so that they will grip the edges of the hole in the dash without the inside plastic ring.

I'll let you know how it works. Thanks

15. chalf87328

chalf87328 Rookie

Jun 15, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    chalf87328
    I would still be interested if anyone has instructions, photos or other of how to remove the key barrel/cylinder.

Anyone?

16. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    #16 Robz328, Nov 21, 2009
    That was a good catch, that part #14 was the plastic backing of the grommet. All I would recommend would be to put some friction tape on the toothed part and see if that holds. Bending the teeth could be damaging and replacement may be expensive.

I would still appeal to anyone who has removed the cylinder mechanism...without destroying the dash, of course.

Looking at the attached pic, it looks like you can drop the steering assembly. First, you remove the lower dash portion and unplug the connectors. Then if you can remove bolt 58 and any bolts to the brackets (looking at mine through the lower dash, there was a bolt through the brackets on the bottom of the steering column, not shown in the pic). Hopefully, the brackets will not need removing (which may require removing more dash parts...ouch). If you get the steering column down, you can remove bolt #13 to remove the cylinder mechanism. If you are just wanting to place the rubber piece on the dash, I wouldn't bother with all the work. Also, looking at part #12, the cylinder/switch/anti-theft mechanism, it would seem that you could unbolt/unscrew the switch from the back; that may be attached to the lock cylinder and allow removal. You will have some experimenting to do here.

I do hope that your effort is successful. Certainly, when I have to break down the steering column, I will have full knowledge to share. If no one chimes in, you will have to be the Guinea Pig on this one. I'll keep researchng as well. Good Luck.

Rob

17. chalf87328

chalf87328 Rookie

Jun 15, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    chalf87328
    Thanks so much. Since I already had ordered the new parts (and they were not too expensive), I decided to experiment with heating up the legs with the teeth to see if I could bend them out slightly to get them to catch in the hold in the dash.

I used a small kitchen torch to quickly heat up the back side of the legs and gently bent both out approximately 1/4 of an inch. The heat caused the back side of the legs to become a little rough, but no damage to the teeth on the outside and they bent out easily. The result...it now fits perfectly even without the plastic ring on the back, but not so tight that I can never get it out if needed.

Problem solved! Thanks to all.

18. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Got through that one.

19. marczero

marczero Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Marco
    HI Chalf
    Glad it worked out ....btw where did u buy the new surround , i need one!