Sell me on expensive sunglasses. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sell me on expensive sunglasses.

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by robert_c, Nov 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    yes!! exactly my only complaint, well you also cant see the readout at gas pumps either..
    i wear oakley Xmetals almost exclusively.they are a little heavy if you arent use to it but i like a heavier pair

2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Quaddrouple Ditto....Love my Maui Jims Highly recommend that you get a pair. they are very very good glasses.

3. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    Mooresville,Nc (Race
    Full Name:
    Bill Long
    Ok i'll be the odd one here, i have a pair of Bolle's ($125) and i love them. Some Years back i met one of the owners of ''Spy'' optics and got a pair of those and i still have them,they are great but as mentioned before can't see radio or other things with them on.
    B.

4. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    Don't put them down and forget them like I did. My favorite pair of sunglasses I have ever had where Oliver Peoples and I walked away from them at a bar. Realized 5 minutes later that I had left them and they were gone. Never been able to find a similar pair.

For a lot of the stuff I do Oakleys are the way to go but I am always on the lookout for a well made pair that makes me look less like I wish I was a professional baseball player.

5. rocketv

rocketv Rookie

Aug 25, 2009
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Gus
    The dark lenses of sunglasses cause your pupils to dilate and let in more light. Cheap sunglasses don't filter the incoming harmful rays and your eyes get damaged. The problem is, you don't even know it while it's happening. Whichever brand you choose, the better sunglasses should have higher quality optics, which will protect your eyes from these harmful rays. Polarizing the lenses cuts glare, but also makes it difficult for you to read certain screens on your dash or on gas pumps, etc.

6. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Polarized is the way to go, cuts the glare in 308s & I'm sure other cars too. Like others said the problem is lots of display screens look blank (gas pumps, stereos, etc) plus they make factory window tint look blotchy. I go thru a pair of RayBans every 2 years or so, $50 a year to save my eyes is cheaper than a good bottle of Tequila ;-)

7. huichoval

huichoval Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2009
    texas
    Full Name:
    luis
    #32 huichoval, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I had that problem with one of my cars (digital speedometer).

I wear sunglasses everyday. That is enough justification for me.

9. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR

What he said +1. I'd challenge anyone to put a set of MJ's up against any other sunglass for sheer clarity and contrast. (Only issue I had with them was fit, just being a bit tight around the back of the ears for the model I wanted and ended up getting a RayBan similar style). And althought the RBs are very good, still the MJ's are much better in the contrast area. It's darn near like having a set of 3D glasses on.

BobR

10. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    #35 Slim, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
    Funny that several of you mentioned not being able to read the car stereo with your polarized Maui Jim's on because I was just messing with my head unit's display to see if one of its customizable color settings was easier to see with my glasses on. No such luck.

But that is the only time I don't totally dig the Maui Jim's. I resisted buying them for years and stuck to the "younger" surf company styles because Maui Jim's seemed to be styled for older guys, but...well, now that I'm in my 40s I figure I'm old enough. And I wear them every day.

I was wearing them while cycling today and it was foggy out and when I took the glasses off to remove my helmet for a moment, I noticed the lenses were all wet. But I couldn't tell this with them on: vision was still clear. Nice...

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I've got 3 pairs of Maui Jim's and have never had that problem.

12. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    Sunglasses....

Well I have two different pairs of Vaurnet, 3 pairs of Persol, 4 pair of Ray Bans, 2 Julbo, 1 Panoptic, and 1 pair of Wiley X, have tried Oakley, Revo and all the rest. I find it depends on what I am doing as to what pair of sunglasses I will wear. If I am out in the snow at high altitude on snowmobiles I tend to wear my Vaurnet or Wiley X sunglasses because they cut the glare the best in very bright conditions. In the car on the road, well I tend to wear my Persol's. My Ray Ban's tend to be worn when I am out on the lake in the Chris Craft, Panoptics for snow skiiing on cloudy days and the Julbo's for hiking in the snow on very bright days.

Sounds crazy, but I think it's all a matter of what works best for the individual.

13. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Ive had my Oakley M-frames since 1996. Bought em for AU $260 when I was 16. I saved that money myself while working at a kebab shop. :eek::eek:

Anywho, I still have them and they are GREAT! VERY comfortable on my fat head. :):)

I have bought the el-cheapo shades for AU $20 here and there just for show. :):)

Nicole continually buys AU $200-$300 every year or so. WASTE of time and money because she eventually breaks them in her handbag or in her pocket etc..etc.

I keep telling her to get the cheapies if she keeps breaking them, but she wont listen to me. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. SubLV

SubLV Karting

Apr 23, 2009
    Oakville
    the lens is probably distorted on cheap glasses, killing your eyes.

15. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    I own Maui Jim, Oakley, Polarized Ray Ban, Polarized Persol, and Mosley Tribe Polarized with VFX optics. Hands down, the Mosley Tribes are my favorite. Just fantastic sunglasses. Worth every penny, and are more comfortable to wear to boot. The Persol are my second favorite for style/ optics but fit terribly if I even begin to sweat...

16. sdtradingguy

sdtradingguy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    +1- They are the only glasses my wife or I will wear. I never have to squint with them and I can wear them in all sorts of lighting conditions.

17. Cayenne06

Cayenne06 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2008
    God's Country, NC
    Full Name:
    David J
    Costa Del Mar for me. Lifetime warranty. Great customer service.

18. Radiopilot

Radiopilot Karting

Dec 10, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Nick R.
    Target... $16 and they are polarized and look like $200 glasses, if they break (which they haven't in 1 year's time since I got them) I just get another one, I believe the brand is IronMan... on the glasses is printed "WAKE POL FTG TEST" on one of the arms. They're equivalent to my old PRADA glasses which cost me $175.

I've owned Ray Bans, Oakley's, and other name brand glasses but it's not me to spend that kind of dough anymore, when the above glasses break/get lost I just walk into Target and get my next quality pair and they are pretty decent quality.

19. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #44 opencollector, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
    As has been mentioned, polarized is a must for driving. It can dramatically knock down the dashboard's reflection in the windshield, a benefit which trumps any problem reading a radio display.

Most people know about the dangers of UV radiation, but there's mounting evidence that outside there are intense energies at the blue end of the visible spectrum that are also damaging to the eyes. Look for so-called "high-energy visible" (HEV) attenuating lenses.

Polarized, HEV-blocking glass can be ordered by an optometrist to fit many designer frames, so you don't necessarily need to constrain your frame shopping to the original-equipment lenses.

20. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I just dropped my MJ Titanium's..... again.... and put a scratch in the line of sight...arghh! I called MJ to find out if they had any kind of relief....the CS Rep cheerily beamed, "well you know you can just send them in and for $60 we'll put two BRAND NEW lenses in them and shoot 'em back out to you".

$60 bucks for new MJ's (just don't lose them... :) )? I'm a customer for life.

Every optician seems to rave about them as well (color clarity, optical quality, UV eye protection, etc)...of course, I don't know their dealer margin and they never discount. I love my REVO's and Vaurnets as well, but they seem to "light" for water /beach use.

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The only complaint I have about my Maui Jim's is the feeling of prescription glasses when I first put them on. After a minute or so the feeling goes away but it makes me wonder if im effecting my eyes somehow and ill need glasses as a result!

22. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    #47 ferrarilover, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I picked up a pair of fake Oakleys on the beach in Mexico from a beach vendor when I was there in December. Actually my wife liked them so she bought a pair of fake Vuarnets. The guy that sold them to me said they were "Mexican Oakleys"! I'm more than pleased with them, they are polarized, and are darker than my old Bolles (that another vendor bought from me!!!!!!!!!!!) so I like them better. The deal, he started at $18 USD, and with selling my crap old Bolles (That I got for free - know an old Bolle rep) that I never really liked anyway, I ended up paying $2 for my Joakleys when all said and done!

This pic shows what they look like (web photo of genuine oakleys).

Chris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. saleenfan

saleenfan Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    No Where
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I bought a pair of DKNY sunglasses during black friday. The only reason why i bought them was because i liked them and i got em for 20 bucks. I will say this though, the lenses suck. My raybans, maui jims and sarengettis are far superior. I love the way they look when im wearing a suit but the lenses are soft and inconsistent. SO avoid DKNY like the plague.

24. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I was driving with one of my good buddies one day and he forgot his sunglasses, I offered him a spare pair of MJ's I keep in the armrest (Flexon - the ones with the uber premium glass lenses) to wear. He said that same thing - I sorta thought he was nuts....I guess not! I thought that maybe it was the subtle shading this particular MJ lens has...kinda an added band of reflection at the top and bottom....

He's a big offshore fishing guy and exclusively wears Costa Del Mars....

Anybody else experience this?

25. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    you think fake oakleys off the beach in mexico are polarized... hahaha your joking right?