Show us your overhead liner Targa top, please? | FerrariChat

Show us your overhead liner Targa top, please?

Discussion in '308/328' started by 11506apollo, Nov 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    I am tired of my liner, so I will be doing something about it. If I will try and maintain it close to OEM look or not depends upon many factors. The cloth is sagging and it is stained (by p.o.) so it is the weak spot on my otherwise pristine 308.
    Please post pics of your headliner and a brief explanation of did you do to it. I am looking for ideas.
    Thanks!

2. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
  3. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    #3 rizzo308, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    1982 308 hood lining is the cream/white honeycombe type my mate bought some from USA 4 yrs ago 1.5 mts of cloth cost him $1500 landed in here in ozz i tried for months to find it i was told its NLA so i hunted down some cloth it's not exactly the same buts it's the best i could find and hell of a lot cheaper if you get stuck i can get some for you .....cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    How did you apply/installed the new cloth? Sprayed glue? What type?
    What about the rubber gasket? Re utilized the old one, or replaced?
    Thanks.

5. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    my car is GTB it has a fibreglass shell which comes out and the lining is glued to it

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Karting

Sep 3, 2008
    Granite Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth D. Lawrence
    Mine too was sagging and abit stained, so I removed it and scraped/washed off all the old foim rubber that was deterioating. I saoked the headliner fabric in woolite and let it sit for a while and then just rinsed with a water hose, came out clean and not distorted. The side seals will need to be replaced as thy are very much attached to the headliner, take measurement as to ther placement, although the residue of the rubber seal will still be imprinted on the fabric, use a cotton fabric/heat shiel material to replace the old foam and it look as good as new. good luck

7. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    I removed all of the old dirty / smelly / stained cloth and replaced with a creme leather. Same for the back deck area behind the seats, below the rear window

Looks better, cleans up nicely, and smells great!

I will try to find a picture if there's enough interest, but it pretty much looks like you would already expect it to look.

Cheers - DM

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Claudio is working on his GTS....which uses the rare fabric material on the targa roof and rear shelf...

Did you check ReOriginals, Claudio???

I know, as others post, it's pretty hard to find.....

9. VeloceSpace

VeloceSpace Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    The cream/white material is NLA. The only one left is the brown/cream stripe fabric that came on later cars, and even this is tough to re-make. There's another thread on this elsewhere in this forum: keyword "headliner".

We had 5 meters last week, now we only have 2.5 meters, enough for one car. Please contact us if interested: [email protected]

10. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    #10 kerrari, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a pic of mine which is quite different from anything mentioned so far - cream vinyl with black trim? My car was an 'orphan' before I got it so I have no idea where this comes from, but actually the vinyl is quite practical as it cleans easily. The cream bits are very slightly padded, each panel apparently glued to the main roof panel. GTS 1980 on the paperwork, but I suspect might truly be a '79 car (29041 s/n, carb's).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. bobs308

bobs308 Karting

Dec 4, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Edwards
    The panel in my 1978 is identical to your picture. Randy

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Happy Thanksgiving, Karen....

That looks like the early '78, '79 GTS lids used the same cream vinyl of the GTBs roof liner.
    It would hold up better.

All my cars have black vinyl rear shelves, that would match the insert strips.

The cloth treatment started later???

13. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Same to you Big Tex - we don't actually have "Thanksgiving" over here, but thanks all the same! Looks like my lid (along with a lot of other bits!) were scrounged for this car. There's no cloth at all in my car - all black leather / vinyl.