Anyone here had experence with Subaru WRX? (No Ferrari content) | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Anyone here had experence with Subaru WRX? (No Ferrari content)

Discussion in 'Australia' started by James-NZ, Nov 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    nobody would take a 348, even LdM thought they were lemons, although here's a tip on how to sell one, drop a gold bar in the front and tell the buyer it helps the 'handling' :)

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    sooooooo....do you know anything about them, then?

3. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    typical Michael, no meat on the bones of the information , where are the part numbers ?? :D

4. sportveloce

sportveloce Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2003
    The Aussie section
    I wish this were the case with mine. Every time I take it in for a service it costs me 1k+. 4 tow trucks, 2 fuel pumps and 2months off the road to fix an electrical problem (at the dealer). Then it starts blowing off cooling hoses. The car eats tyres. Maybe it is my driving. Who knows? It has not broken down as much as my old Lancia, but the Lancia has an excuse.. It is an early 70's Italian car :)

The WRX is currently for sale. I have had enough of the "issues" over the last 2 years.

That said, I am looking for an 07 STI after convincing myself that a CLK55 is not for me.

5. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Which year model and did you buy it new?

Also which Lancia?

6. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks for the reply Rob. I agree the newer stuff is moving away from the styling I like, in fact the model I really like is the V5/6, I like the way they look.

I'll keep you posted on how my search goes...

Thanks Mike!!! Took you long enough to join in :eek: I though you would be first along to this thread!! :D

So, from that list it is fair to say the premium that a STi commands is worth it.

Are you able to tell me more about a re-map? Although the intention is to keep the car close to factory I can see a few little mods being done. Is it possible to remap the factory computer or is an aftermarket unit needed?

As far as exhaust mods go I have heard that the down pipe is where large gains can be made, is this your thoughts also? I do not want the car to be loud, I want to fly under the radar as much as possible as it will be a daily driver.

For turbo mods do you recommend changing the turbo or just upping the boost from the factory unit? Is there any gains to be had from a blow off valve? (I don't want my car to sneeze loudly)

Lastly, I will not be doing stupid stuff in this car, it will never see a clutch sidestep, ever. I would however like to take it on a gravel road just to see how it goes....it will see the track but probably no more than 4 times a year.

7. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    I took my friends WRX for a run last night, his is a very tidy example of a Verson 4 non STi. It is fair to say I am totally sold on getting one, they drive very well and I would describe them as "eager performers". There are a few I want to look at this weekend....

The challenge for me is going to be finding a tidy one.

8. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #83 alexm, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
    Challenge all right!

The market here covers everything from totally straight to gangsta DOOF DOOF with 20" chrome and lowered and exhaust diameters so big they belong on a Saturn V..

I smile when I see some of them with heads (caps on) so low its at door sill level and so far back it's behind the B pillar.. how can you drive and see like that? lol

9. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Yeah, its much the same here. I am looking for a car that is stock, or very close too.

Might take a little while....

10. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    A best buy would be tasteful mod with maybe chip, intake and exhaust only and driven by mature owner.. least hopeful not totally caned like highly modded one would be and gives you max BFYB, but then you already knew that lol.

11. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    uh oh now you've asked for it :D

Ants2au would be better at this as he was a Haltech guru from memory

hey Ants, we haven't heard from you in ages

12. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Yep :D

I have not played with chipping/remapping ECU's before so this will at least teach me something :)

13. ferrari348fan

ferrari348fan Rookie

Jun 16, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have a MY00 WRX that I have had since new.

Ive modded it extensively and it has nearly 400kw. Great car I love it.

Yep it sure is fun. haha.

14. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Hey! :D Welcome back!

Did you end up buying a 348?

15. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Excellent!!

I would love to hear about your mods...

16. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
  17. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
  18. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
  19. sportveloce

Aug 31, 2003
    The Aussie section
    It is a 98. Completely standard (not even a new exhaust!). Has clutch shudder like the day it rolled off the line.

Lancia is a 75 Beta coupe. It was my first car and I still have it. It was "love at first sight". I saw it on the side of the road years ago and said "must have it". I approached the owner and bought it from him. I am planning to do a full resto on it at some point. I have every part you could imagine. Multiple motors, boxes, panels, screens etc. Even though some do not rate them it is by far and away the funnest (koni's, 4 wheel discs, twin cam 1800, double valve springs etc) car I have owned. It gets looks like nothing I have ever been in. People seem to love it for some reason. With its Red colour, two long doors, perched stance and leather roof, it is a nice looking beast. Has quite a lot of charm.

20. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Pics?? :D

I love the look of the Beta coupes. I wanted one for the longest time :eek:

21. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You can re map the factory computer, the software is called ECUTEK , cost was about ~ $1200 plus dyno time to set it up. The benefit is that it is undetectable, the car still responds to factory diagnostics, there is no cutting, chopping or modification of the wiring loom and you retain the factory "driveability" and inherent reliability of the vehicle.

A slightly larger turbo will work well with an bigger exhaust and fuel map. My car has VF34 roller bearing turbo and it's a bolt in replacement. I've also put in Walbro high volume fuel pump and modified the fuel injector rails to provide an evenly distributed fuel flow to all the injectors.

The exhaust is where there are big gains to be made. A split dump pipe keeps the exhaust flow from the wastegate and the turbo separate for about 50 cm and this apparently helps boost and responsiveness. Most people use a 3" mandrel bent exhaust with a hi-flow cat. The choice of mufflers influences the sound level, you can get quiet exhausts that still makes lots of power.

A large(r) Blow Off Valve will help keep the turbo "on boost", you can buy "internally vented" BOV that make little extra noise. I believe the externally vented BOV's that "sneeze" are not legal in Australia anymore.

The cars runs 17 psi boost and a very mild level of tune in the interest of longevity and driveability, the car makes just shy of 200 Kw atw, which is heaps.

If you're going to track the car then a baffled sump is a good idea.

M

22. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks mate!! That is very informative stuff...

With 200kw yours must be a whole heap of fun, it sounds like you have gone about it in a similar fashion to how I would like to, although you have gone further than I would. I do like the sound of remapping the factory ECU, I will look into that after I get the car and tidy up any areas of concern.

Are there any brands of down pipe you recommend or have experence with? That will be the first mod for sure.

It's a good thing BOV's that sneeze are outlawed over there, some of the young guys here have fitted them so they point out the front bumper which makes them very loud and annoying to pedestrians. The other thing the young guys are getting into here is external waste gates with the dump pipe dropping out near the front of the car, the noise this makes is hideous.....

What sort of boost could I run with the factory STi turbo and a fuel remap?

23. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    #98 James-NZ, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. sportveloce

Aug 31, 2003
    The Aussie section
    I could arrange a pic or two ;-) We had best start a "Lancia Love" thread, rather than bastardize this one..

On the WRX topic, my 98 has 180,000 clicks on it. I had a leak-down performed by two mechanics (long story, the 2nd being done by my "new" mechanic) and apparently it is <15%, which they tell me is good for its age. The car generally runs strong. I did have a strange issue with it shutting off fuel (fuel pump/ECU) when hard on boost. Quite an experience that made for a fun ride. Booting hard, throws you back (at least a bit) then cuts the fuel which is enough to make your seatbelt lock with forward/braking force. Highly amusing for passengers (heart in throat) except when over-taking. I have not seen the issue since the car was completely re-wired (twice!) and had the fuel pump replaced twice!

25. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #100 SPEEDCORE, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
    Why not, they won the title that year :p and stop saying NON-STI. Its either WRX or WRX STI :p :eek:

hahaha.

But it's oz section tradtion :eek:
    Ok, whatever you like :eek:

Ahhhhh. :eek: