ETS and Turnbull - What should the Libs do? | FerrariChat

ETS and Turnbull - What should the Libs do?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by 98Octane, Nov 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 98Octane

98Octane Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Luke
    #1 98Octane, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
    The Liberals are in turmoil over Turnbull's (and Macfarlane's) deal with Kevin and Penny on the ETS.

Abbott, Abetz, Minchin, Fifield and other key Liberals have quit their shadow roles over the deal. The other Kevin (Andrews) attempted a leadership spill. It's almost certain there'll be another spill early next week.

Joe Hockey's been rather quiet so far, but may enter the fray if Malcolm bows out.

Where to next for the Libs? Should Malcolm resign? Who should replace him - Abbott, Hockey, or someone else? And the key question: will any form of ETS be good for Australia? Will any ETS actually reduce emmissions and minimise "dangerous climate change"?

2. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    Rob Bailey for PM

3. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    abbott won't pull anymore votes than turnbull come election time, and both will be rolled by krudd.

hockey you would think will take over from whoever loses to krudd next year, unless mal pulls the pin over the weekend, then joe might run.

would joe beat krudd next year? i don't know, but i think he appeals to a lot of voters. he hasn't said or done much wrong to date.

bring back pete c.

4. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    and i forgot to add, this thread will be moved to p@r by our humble mod. :)

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Got to give Turnbill credit for sticking to his beliefs. He said from the start that he intended to act on climate change and he is trying to.

I also am disappointed by the others that want to wait and see what the rest of the world do first. Heck Australia is a rich country we can improve our efficiency without completely stuffing our position in the world, so lets do something ... and I'm no climate change nutter, just believe we might as well use cleaner and more efficient energy if we can.

I would have less respect for Turnbill if he had flip flopped, but instead he has convictions.
    Pete

6. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    what's NZ doing ?

7. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sending everyone here!

Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :D

8. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    .... but is'nt Joe all for the ETS like Malcolm and therefore would also fall foul of the current Lib ETS detractors

9. 98Octane

98Octane Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Luke
    Yes, but the anti-ETS and other Libs are annoyed at the lack of consultation and party room negotiation of the deal, as much as the content of the deal itself. They don't like Turnbull's "I'm the leader, this is the way it is" approach. Sure, Turnbull's position on ETS has been consistent (and I think he's a very impressive performer) but he can't maintain that position if that's not what a majority of the party wants. On the other hand, Joe appears to be more popular within the party and is more attractive to the public.

10. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    its to late for Australia.

11. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thank you happy harry.

12. EfiOz

EfiOz Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Lago di Legana
    Full Name:
    Lucivius Maximus
    #12 EfiOz, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Once again the coalition is piling gifts onto Labor (which I don't mind! :D:). Here's how I see it:
    - the ETS is a mess as it stands and will probably be more harm than good, BUT
    - a huge part of the electorate wants "something done about climate change" HENCE
    - if the opposition manages to thwart the Bill, Labor will be off the hook for this bad bill, but will still be able to say honestly to the electorate "hey, we tried to do something, the opposition stopped us" SO
    - Labor wins either way!

14. sportveloce

sportveloce Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2003
    The Aussie section
    #14 sportveloce, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
    If they put Abbott in Krudd gets my vote. On the other hand if they put Hockey in, Libs keep my vote..

ETS -> meh..

EDIT: Bring back Johnny Boy or at the very least the Cheshire cat, big Pete.

15. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Without China/India agreeing on anything,its a loke that Australia would even think of doing anything,IMO its a pure tax grab by a one term federal government.

16. chatterbox

chatterbox Rookie

Sep 24, 2009
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Leigh
    Given Australian carbon dioxide emissions amount to 1.3% of total world emissions (here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions), and the proposal is for a ~5% reduction in that, the whole thing seems like an expensive waste of time. Amounts to another tax that we have to pay for little to no benefit.

I don't blame the libs for turning it down - even if climate change is really being caused by our carbon emissions, a band-aid like this, in one of the smaller polluting countries, isn't going to do anything about it on a global scale.

17. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    all kruddy cares about is the UN job, and this is a stepping stone, ask blackjag, he knows.

18. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    The libs are now like the NSW libs party, ie: a joke.

Kevin should easily get 2 or 3 terms :p

19. 98Octane

98Octane Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Luke
    If that happens...

+1

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I don't know.

But as NZ produces almost nothing, I don't think they contribute much.
    Pete

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I agree they are not doing enough, but we should NOT wait for other countries, we should just do what we can.

Considering how little our country is populated we really are one of the biggest polluters. If Australia ever gets populated equalent to it's size we would be worse than China and America.

It's like how NZ goes on about being a green country. Utter bollocks. The country is so young and narrow (and windy) that it has yet to suffer from humans and most pollution is blown away from NZ. Take Christchurch for example, somewhere where the wind does not blow and people can hardly breathe in winter due to wood fires ...
    Pete

22. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    the problem is 90% of the general population are idiots and as dumb as ants. show them a movie of 2012 and they genuinelly fear the world will end in 2012 and openly talk about it.

whatever the government says, it plays with people's fear, greed and the pure ignorence. Human have long had their days believing we had the power to change the world without realizing how insignificant we are to mother nature. have a few earth quakes, OMFG worst in 100 years, this planet had lived for billions of years, not 100!

23. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    oh well your generation will be paying for it /loosers

24. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    Pete, in many parts i agree with you that our life should be a bit more "green", however i honestly don't believe ETS will solve our problems, It involves everyone to change their life style to adapt to a new type of living.

in Melb for example, they try to encourage people to take public transport and ride push bikes, the idea itself is great, but its not practical, our metro system is designed for half the our city's population and the roads are designed for just cars. I've lived in Shanghai for the past year also, I honestly don't see why i would need a car besides bragging rights, I walk to a bus stop, they come every 5 mins also, gets me to the nearest subway station and there on i can pretty much get to anywhere, then i walk. that + gym, i've lost about 6kgs in 12 month feels, healthier than ever, and how much emssion i've contributed vs if i was driving on all these routes? The only time I'd consider to drive would be at night where there aren't many cars around, i won't stuck in traffic and once the cars are cruising, its not that bad.

things like water tanks installation at homes, enviromental friendly design of building and forever evolving technology to contribute humans to live a better, more efficient, and healthier life style and at the same time being "Green".

25. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

what did we have in the 60's clean air and dirty sex, now we have dirty air and clean sex...........