Oil Question | FerrariChat

Oil Question

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brian Elliston, Nov 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian Elliston

Brian Elliston F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Brian Elliston
    I know, lots of threads on oils, no agreement, etc. But I had mine changed for the first time by a local shop in Asheville, NC about three weeks ago and we decided to go with the Agip recommended oil. Since then it has run great and I've been happy. The problem is that I've been driving it and it has consumed some oil and I now need to add a quart. I called the shop on Wednesday to find out what oil they used exactly so I could match it when I added more and they were gone for holiday. I am a quart low and I want to drive today. What should I do? Wait, use any old synthetic, find some Agip (if so what type and where?)? What damage can I cause by mixing oils? Thanks, Brian

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Several things...

Any commonly available auto oil will mix with any other oil just fine, synthetic or not. No damage of any kind can/will result.

If a shop changed your oil, the receipt should state what oil they used.

1 quart low is not an issue as far as driving any car. If you are worried about it, toss a quart of Mobil 1 or whatever syn oil the local parts store has at the best price. However, I would want to know two things...Was it really at the full mark when the oil was changed? If so, how many miles did you drive to cause a quart of oil to be used? I'd be more interested in that than anything else.

3. Brian Elliston

Brian Elliston F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Brian Elliston
    Thanks, I'll throw in a quart and drive. I am not sure about the exact oil level after the change. It seems a little tricky to check the oil just right ( hot vs cold plus wait 15 min???). I get the idea but it is just a little tricky. I believe I am consuming about 1 quart per 1k miles, that should be about right shouldn't it? Thanks again, Brian

4. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Brian just look at your receipt and see how many quarts they put in. If it says 9 quarts you will be a little short. For a wet sump I believe you should be taking 9 liters. Please update your profile to reflect what year and model car you have. As to being a quart low that is usually not to much of a problem but I would add the extra syn oil to bring it up to the correct level. Please make sure you check the oil according to the OM. As to how much you are burning I would re-check this after you have the oil level corrected. Good luck