Restore old classic. | FerrariChat

Restore old classic.

Discussion in '206/246' started by Royal_marine, Nov 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Royal_marine

Royal_marine Rookie

Nov 27, 2009
    England (Hull)
    Full Name:
    Leon Salter
    New to the forum and need some advice.

Someone near me is selling an old Ferrari Dino '71 GT for £15,000.
    It's in bad condition, the engine needs a full rebuild as does the gearbox.
    The chassis needs alot of work aswell as the bodywork itself is in bad condition.
    The interior is half missing too...

Would it be more hassle than its worth to restore and would i find parts for this model hard to get hold of?

Any answers appriciated.

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Boy,

a ton of variables here.

Engine - $10-20K, or more.
    Gearbox - $5K and up
    interior $5-10K
    Exterior - this is the wild card. $10K-40K depending on damage. Paint alone can run over $10K. These cars rust like crazy, and take a LOT of hours at the shop to repair.
    Suspension $5-10K
    Brakes $3K and up.
    books and tools $5K and up.

Is the glass intact? Rear windshield is a "mission improbable" to find. Front windshield is over $1000.

Tires? If you want period correct are $2000.

Some parts are very hard to find, but with work can always be located.

All numbers above are USD, you're pricing may vary.

When your done, a perfect GT is worth what guys, $125K? Again USD.

So your initial purchase is about $30K, plus up to $100K in repairs? IF you're prepared to spend the money, and like the idea of a three year project, looks like you're about on the money with the initial purchase price. But if you think you're stealing the car, well, keep shopping.

I'm sure others will chime in. But I did this with a car that was in decent physical shape when I bought it 6 years ago, and spent close to the numbers above.

DM

3. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Hello Leon,
    sounds very reasonable to me, but you need expierence to do a proper restauration job or give it to an expert to do it.
    Do you know the chassis no.?
    Regards Matthias

4. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    You should buy that car- you have zero downside. There are bids here in the states for cars that are in pretty tough shape in the $65,000 range. If you merely parted the car out you would still be ahead of the game. Buy it!!

5. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Without pictures, we're all guessin' right?

Suppose the car has rusted out frame tubes? The wheel wells are shot, the doors are rusted and it's missing most or all of its chrome trim?

Now we're diving deep into a body off restoration, and he could easily end up underwater on the car.

I think a careful assessment of the condition of the car, prior to purchase, by a body shop guy with knowledge of 60's Ferraris is in order if he's considering restoring it.

Sure he could part it out. But what if the arts are crappy? Carbs that need rebuilding, an engine that's a mess, transmission that junk. These are not high value parts, and parting it out would probably only happen after several thousand dollars are spent determining the car is a parts car.

Good PPI, buy a mechanic and a body guy is in order, methinks.

Oh, and a decent running car can be had for $100K, right? Not a prom queen concours winner, but a driver, that $25K would go a loooong way on.

DM

6. Royal_marine

Royal_marine Rookie

Nov 27, 2009
    England (Hull)
    Full Name:
    Leon Salter
    Seems like i would be biting off more than i could chew, I really want to take on a project of restoring a ferrari. I specialized as a vehicle mechanic in the Marines so have some knowlege but from what iv'e heared ferrari's are abit more complicated than land rovers, and alot more expensive.

7. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Not true -

The nuts turn either clockwise or counterclockwise. And the workshop manual is printed in English. That's all you need to know.

Parts are costly, but in the end you will have merely transferred assets from one investment to another.... and will have had fun along the way.

Jim S.

8. Royal_marine

Royal_marine Rookie

Nov 27, 2009
    England (Hull)
    Full Name:
    Leon Salter
    #8 Royal_marine, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2009
    Oh and here's what im talking about, he want £20,000 for both, but will consider £15 for the one in better condition, apparently the other one is appauling...

9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

#9 Glassman, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2009

If your actually going to do this take both of them.

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    there is no doubt that taking them both is the smart thing to do

11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#11 dm_n_stuff, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    buy both, buy now.

since you put the listing out here to see, the vultures will be in behind you in three minutes.

Killed the link so that you wouldn't get snaked out of the car. Here's the pic.

DM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Do a little more photoshopping...

13. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    DM did you a favor by cutting out the link...you should buy those cars! $40 grand US is a heck of a deal...buy em you will not be sorry. As Jim said they are not impossible cars to do. You can get parts from several sources (and Superformance in your back yard). You can get lots of info from helpful folks here and have fun. Dave you make a good point about really inspecting them but you have very limited downside on these- especially if you buy 2 of em for $40 grand. Buy em!!!

14. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

thx

done

15. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    If you don't buy those, you will regret it for the rest of your life.

16. Royal_marine

Royal_marine Rookie

Nov 27, 2009
    England (Hull)
    Full Name:
    Leon Salter
    But why are they so cheap, especially for 2!
    iv'e seen others that need alot of work selling for £40,000 just for 1
    Has the seller gone mad? if he has 2 Dino's he must know abit about em.
    Something dont add up or is it just bargain of the century...

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

go see the cars today...stop what you are doing and change your plans. this is a potential opportunity to negotiate a nice deal! or, p.m. me the information so that i can figure a way to get them.

best,

pcb

18. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    #18 246tasman, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
    Leon

If they're not stolen buy em both now. Use the profit on the dog to get the better one into driving but not restored condition if you don't want to go the whole hog.

If you need any help PM me.

Best wishes
    Will

19. 246gts

246gts Karting

Jan 10, 2005
    cheshire, uk
    Not wishing to rain on your parade but from the photo the car on the right just doesn't seem in the correct proportion, could they be replicas?
    Whenever I see a replica I often wonder why the manufacturers dont quite get the proportion or the detail right, usually the Dino replica nose droops a bit more than it should and to my mind the rear of the car on the right seems a bit long and a bit too high.
    I hope for your sake they are genuine and if so go for it but I have my suspicions.
    Good Luck
    Dave

20. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    That would make more sense.

I wonder if we'll hear any more about them...

21. fez1238

fez1238 Karting

Sep 5, 2007
    Rang the vendor today and was told they are sold! This is the sales script advertised with the cars - pictures posted above confirm its the same ad.

''YES, this is for two Ferrari Dino' s a '71 GT and '73 GT. Both are in awful condition, both engines require a full rebuild with one gearbox requiring a full re-build too. Both chassis require extensive work so to does the bodyworks, which are in very poor condition. the interiors are half missing together with many cosmetic parts. NO mot's obviously but both V5's are present. Bought as seen. NO Timewasters!!!! THE PRICE IS FOR BOTH CARS, I WILL NOT SPLIT, SO PLEASE DON'T ASK. £20,000 ONO. ''

22. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins

Amazing. Where were they advertised? I wonder if the original poster bought them.

23. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Seeing as they have been sold, would you be so kind as to provide me with a way of contacting seller? Thank you. Regards, Alberto

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    One would hope so, kudos to this site for trying to give him time!

That said, that's TWO TONS of work to be done there, on those Barn Finds....look "real" to me....

25. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hate to insist, but I need to contact the seller/buyer, as I am in need for some parts that will be obvious duplicates, as in the steering column...
    Thank you. regards, Alberto