Removing rear interior | FerrariChat

Removing rear interior

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SouthJersey400i, Nov 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I have the rear seats and center cushion out. I now need to take out the side panels and I have only found one screw that was behind the rear seat up high. Can anyone help with the next steps to get the side pieces out. Note, I have the rear air so there are side vents in the sloped piece.

I am also taking out the two horizontal pieces above and behind the rear seats (parcel deck). Is it correct that these come out via trunk rear panel? Are there any fasteners to be removed from the interior of the car to get these two pieces out?

I look forward to your replies.
    Ken

2. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Ken,

I remember the guy selling the 400i engine in GB also had the rear side panels on his eBay site for sale, check the pix for attachmt. pts..

Bruce

3. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Sorry Ken, not having any success bringing it up. B.

4. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I have the rear panel in the trunk removed now. I would like to get the top piece on the back deck out now. The lower piece with the speaker grills appears it will slide right out once the side interior pieces are out. I have the seat belt bolts out which go thru the speaker panel.

From the trunk I undid two nuts one each side that go in at an angle and seemed like they were just the right thing to be holding the upper panel. Access to these nuts is thru the trunk spring rods. However, with the nuts off the threaded ends would not budge even with a hammer tap. Apparently there are at least two more bolts pointing up and down holding the upper panel. Unfortunately the lower end of such fastener would be underneath the thin steel plate that is welded in for 90% of the width of the trunk. Only way this panel can be removed (without a torch) is if the bolts are not really bolts but rather plastic trim pieces. I tried some force but no luck. If I knew for sure they were trim plastic I would use more force. Anyone know how to get this top panel out?? Is it on with bolts or trim plastic.

I'm still looking for a procedure to get the side panels out too.

I'm done for the day, so I look forward to replies during this week. Thanksgiving in the garage will be a pleasure! I can be thankful to be a Ferrari 400 owner, with lots of jobs to do.
    Ken

5. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    #5 Brennan, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ken:

This is in no way a complete answer to your question about removing the rear interior side panels, but maybe it will be a small piece of the puzzle. The LHS rear hand-hold in my car is a bit loose, so I pulled it off and snapped a picture for you (see below). There are three small screws holding this in place - the screw heads, on the back side of the side panel aren't accessible (as far as I can tell). All this photo basically confirms for you is that there are no fasteners behind the hand-hold securing the side panel to the body. FWIW.

Here's wishing that I could escape to the garage on Thanksgiving. I'm still trying to be thankful that my wife has two full days of family festivities planned.

Cheers.

Brennan Johnson
    '84 400i #47583
    San Luis Obispo, CA

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Brennan
    What was holding the hand hold on? I do not want to force it and from picture and your description it won;t do me any good anyway.
    Ken

7. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    The rear hand hold is secured by three bolts from the back side of the interior side panel. It doesn't look like there are any specifiic fittings in the hand-hold foam that they secure into - they're just drilled/screwed directly into the foam.

This info doesn't do you much good, other than confirming that there are no fastenings behind the hand hold that will help you get the side panel out!

Brennan Johnson
    '84 400i #47583
    San Luis Obispo, CA

8. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Brennan
    So how did you get to the three bolts? How did you get to the back of the side panel?

Today I removed the door seal and found that the side panel extends up to the roof along the B-pillar. The narrow strip of leather is stitched to the main piece. The task keeps expanding and I can get the first piece out!

I sent Dave Stacy a PM asking him to send the appropriate pages of the Pina parts book to see if I can get any hints there.
    Ken

9. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #9 dstacy, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    The handhold in my car is "loose" so it just lifts off the three bolts. I didn't need to get to the heads to unscrew. Sorry.

Brennan

11. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Dave
    Thanks for images. I copied and printed on separate sheets.

Now I know what the puzzle looks like when apart and I know what it looks like when it is together. Hmmm, now to figure how to get from A to B (or B to A). It's a pity Pina does not show fasteners on their sheets.

Dave, on Foglio 69 what name do they give for pieces marked: 9, 12 and 28? (I'll deal with the Italian.) It is one of these that I think is an "immovable object"

I am hoping someone had their rear interior refinished and reads this thread.
    Ken

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #9 is 257.65.200.00 labeled as "black skin plate"
    #12 is 257.64.520.00 labled as "covering black skin"
    #28 is 257.65.200.10 labeled as "plate" then in addition the interior color

Not much help I'm afraid. Sorry Ken.

13. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Dave
    This is actually a help. The drawing seemed to indicate more pieces than there are. However, what you have told me is that the leather and the support are listed as separate pieces. This clears up why there is a two pieces that look like the speaker covers; same for the 'back skin plate'.
    Ken
    p.s. The parts did not jump out of the car yet!

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Trying to help, just not sure what to do to help you more

15. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    With some perseverance, my wife and I finally got all of the rear interior out of the car. Here are some of the tricks:

Top rear deck:
    - This one is, as I thought all along, held in by two bolts accessed from inside the trunk.
    - My problem was that the bolts dug into the sheet metal wallowing out the original oval shaped holes.
    -Wiggling the front edge up and down while tapping on the bolts (two person job) freed the bolts and out it came.

Speaker Panel:
    - Remove after side interior panels.
    - Nothing holds it in except some sticky glue that got where it was not supposed to be. It is just trapped by surrounding panels.

Side panels:
    - One screw is behind the rear seat.
    - Second screw (was missing on both sides of my car) is near the front lower edge. There is a crescent shaped cut out of fiberglass under the leather to reach the missing screw!
    - Remove the door seal at the rear of door.
    - Fold up the leather trapped under the seal
    - There are three screws under the leather at the very front edge of the fiber glass
    - Top edge is supposed to be held tight against window by two clips just below the window. This means you need to lift the whole panel very slightly to free the top edge. (Much less of a lift than removing the door panels.)
    - out it comes.
    - The screws holding the "handles" are accessible from the back side.

Now I will be off to the upholstery shop to fit new leather to offending bits.
    Ken

16. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    A huge thanks for the heads up Ken! B.

17. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Bruce
    We are all here for the common good! Thanks goes to my wife for not giving up on this job that I was about to punt on.
    Ken