328 engine bay photos needed please | FerrariChat

328 engine bay photos needed please

Discussion in '308/328' started by lesliewales, Dec 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lesliewales

lesliewales Karting

Jan 8, 2006
    Hi there!
    About a year ago I bought a 1986 328 GTS that had been in a private collection for some time. I have been moving through it slowly, and have come across some issues - can anyone help with some photos that I can check my car against?
    1) The airbox seems to be missing the adhesive Ferrari label. where can I obtain a replacement?
    2) In the front spare wheel area where there radiator fans are exist 2 small holes. I think there must be a cover or straps missing. Can anyone enlighten me or provide a photo to ensure what should be there?
    Thanks in advance for any assistance!!
    Les

2. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    The Ferrari script on the airbox was painted/screenprinted on - not a sticker. There are companies who can do this for you & indeed some that will sell you a replacement cover with the logo printed on it on an exchange basis.

Probably best if you can post a photo of the second issue.

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 miketuason, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #4 PV Dirk, Dec 1, 2009
    Yep, painted on. I've heard a stencil can be obtained so you can paint yourself. This is a Mondial 3.2. May be set up a bit different and the only photo I have handy. Can't really see it, my airbox info is still there lightly.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #5 AHudson, Dec 1, 2009
  6. lesliewales

lesliewales Karting

Jan 8, 2006
    Do you know where I can send it to either be exchanged or to be screen printed?

7. BDCVG

BDCVG Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Cincyish
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Can You still get those aftermarket intake tubes? I tried to send an e-mail but I don't think it worked.

8. drsmith30

drsmith30 Karting

Jul 24, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    David
  9. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    The search button is your friend ;-)

http://www.italiancarparts.com/accessories/ferrari_accessories.html

(not cheap but several Fchatters have used them & seem satisfied. The 328 cover should just have "Ferrari" on it without the UFI logo - that should be on the back end of the lower part of the airbox)

10. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    Some items on that website is a rip-off on price. (To put it nicely.) The keychains you can get for 1/2 off at the Ferrari Store.

Thanks for putting up that site.

Ace

11. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #11 AHudson, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
    I got an email but am a lazy pig. I try to 'save up' orders 'til another product run. (We sell out of each batch.) There WILL be another batch of 10 before Christmas, design improved AGAIN (tweaked actually, but better.) Will handle that announcment in another thread, not to derail this one. www.motovanti.com Rest assured, you're in.

12. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Count me in, too, please. I'll take one!

13. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    ItalianCarParts.com in Oregon refinishes the airbox. I had mine done on my '86 328 and it came out great.

14. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #14 miketuason, Dec 1, 2009
  15. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Is the airbox the same on the 328 as on the 308, mechanically?

If so, I'm interested!. . . What, exactly, are the improvements and "tweaks" you've made to it?

16. Ferrari328GT

Ferrari328GT Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #17 Ferrari328GT, Dec 2, 2009
    I did my airbox with the stencil off eBay. It is a little tricky, and took a few tries to get it right. I was surprised to find that it is a two-piece stencil. Each half appears to have just a bunch of oddball holes in it, but placed on top of each other, it does spell Ferrari. I assume the guy did it this way to avoid trade mark infringement issues. -Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Nice! Is it your Ferrari?

18. 89 FERRI

89 FERRI Guest

Jul 31, 2010
    Cold Spring Harbor ,
    Full Name:
    Elliot Siegel
    HI ! MIKE what products did you use to make us drool over your engine bay ??? Thanks and Happy Holidays Elliot

19. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "I was surprised to find that it is a two-piece stencil."

I bought a stencil off ebay and it was a single piece so I guess there are several different "versions." In any case, it worked perfectly and looks like new.

When I bought my '89 328 in '08 the oem lettering on the airbox was perfect but after cleaning the eng compartment a couple of times it started "disappearing." Regular Rustoleum rattle-can paint is a lot more durable than whatever Ferrari used! :)

Definitely try the stencil/spray paint method. You may have to re-do it a couple of times to get it right, depending on how nicely you get the stencil to lay against the cover.

This method worked very well for me: I cut out out around the logo about an inch from the edge of the lettering, taped the stencil down with 3m masking tape and then masked the rest of the top. THis ensured that the logo was "tight" against the cover so there was no bleed-under. Spray a light coat from approx 18" away. Wait a minute or two and do it again, and a minute or two and do it once more, this will further reduce the chance for bleed-under. Remove the stencil carefully about a minute after the third spray and BEFORE the paint is dry. Waiting until the paint is dry can cause the paint to separate from the cover when you pull the stencil off.