Soot from California exhaust | FerrariChat

Soot from California exhaust

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by sg69, Dec 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    Have any other Cali owners out there noticed black spots on your garage floors right about where the center of your car would be? I was afraid it was from oil leaking and asked the dealer who explained that it's soot from the exhaust system and that it's normal. Apparently there is an open section, probably used for tuning the resonance of the exhaust note, right around the center of the car and it allows condensation that forms in the pipe to drip out black. I've never heard of such thing and wonder if anyone else has experienced something similar

Thanks,
    SG

2. michael/laura

michael/laura Rookie

Apr 8, 2006
    #2 michael/laura, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
    I too drove to the dealer thinking it was some type of oil problem. It looks like an oil drip and feels like graphite when you put your finger in it. My dealer did not as clear of an answer so thank you. When I tried to clean it up it just smears so I left the circles on the floor.

-Michael

3. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    Apparently it can be cleaned up with Goof Off or something similar but I'm sure that will get old eventually... Does this happen with any other cars?

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    SG- Never heard of an open section in any exhaust system, which would be noisy as all get out and leak exhaust gasses in places you do not want them. If you put a rag over the tailpipes, you would hear an exhaust leak in that location. Would act like a little blow-torch, too, and could ignite objects near the hole.

Are you sure he did not mean there is an opening below the exhaust for cooling the exhaust, like that on the Maranellos? Closed in, the exhaust got too hot in Maranello wind tunnel testing.

There is no way to get soot from the exhaust in that location unless condensation is running all the way from the tailpipes down the exhaust pipe until it reaches the lowest portion of the exhaust system and drips down.

Is it possible the air conditioning evaporator hose is near that location and what you are seeing is condensate with paint mixed into it?

Need to ask one of the pros here, but what your dealer said makes no sense at all.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

5. rp456

rp456 Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    Yes, I have that happen to me also. It is water with some kind of soot. I think it is from the AC.

6. Challengehauler

Challengehauler Formula 3

Jul 28, 2008
    NE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    DB
    Idle/low rpm fuel curve - rich on fuel.

The black stuff you see is carbon. It mixes with the condensation in the exhaust system and drips on the floor. After the engine and exhaust system heat up and the metal expands, the leaks will stop and only make it out via the tail pipes.

Not a unique situation to the California. A lot of cars past and present do this. On an older vehicle it is usually due to too much fuel.

hope this helps.

Dan

7. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    Great, thanks for all the feedback. So does anything need to be adjusted then, or is this just the way it's supposed to be?

sg

8. Challengehauler

Challengehauler Formula 3

Jul 28, 2008
    NE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    DB
    From what I gather, it is the nature of the beast. You tend to get less cracking in the pipe run if slip or but-joints are used (no welds). It may have been a consideration in the design.

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Yes I noticed exactly the same thing. At first I thought it was a fluid or oil leak.
    Thanks for the answer!

10. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    well, I guess I have to live with it or put something under the car to catch the drips. It really gets messy after a while...

Thanks,
    SG

11. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Mine did this for the first couple hundred miles. It no longer drips anything out the bottom. Made a mess of my garage floor though.

12. rp456

rp456 Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    I put the car on the lift and saw exactly where the leak is coming from. It is coming from the exhaust as the last few posts stated. I'll post pictures asap.

13. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I just got mine Saturday. It had 78 miles on it an now already has about 400. It dripped the first night. We will see what comes out of it over the next few days. I had snow blow through here today so I did not drive it to work, but probably will tomorrow.

Pictures will be posted tomorrow. What a thrilling car!

14. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    It is condensation. Either a quick buildup of moisture is dripping out while the vehicle is being warmed up, or if not driven a long distance moisture will stay in the system. After a good long drive the entire system will be hot enough that there shouldn't be any retained moisture. Grocery store and back will drip, after a 100 mile trip it shouldn't.

15. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Is this happening with all the cars? I had my knee reconstructed (tore my ACL and meniscus playing soccer) and couldn't drive for a few weeks. Took the cali out of the garage today and it left a whole new set up drips as I backed up. It's pretty messy and I don't know that I can really put something under the car to catch it, as it drips sporadically all the way up my driveway.

16. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I've got 3K miles on my Cali. Still have soot.

17. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    1,600 not as much soot but still some.

18. blockbuster

blockbuster Karting
    Owner

Nov 26, 2006
    U.S.
    After about 800 miles, I'm still getting soot on the garage floor too.

19. Marcos 612

Marcos 612 Rookie

Aug 25, 2006
    Lost Angeles
    Full Name:
    Marc marshall
    Yes, it really bugs me when I see it on my garage floor. Has anybody had a problem with the gas door not opening?

20. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman