Advice for the LSAT | FerrariChat

Advice for the LSAT

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by jheppner, Sep 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jheppner

jheppner Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    NY
    Ive been lurking on here for a while and am looking for some input. I just scheduled to take my LSAT this coming december. I know we have some lawyers here so i figured why not ask. Was there anything that helped you on the test? Any tricks thrown at you or is it pretty straight forward? Already looking into the prep classes and books for LSAT prep. Any help is appreciated.

-jhepp

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  3. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Ryan, do you mind if I send you a quick PM later about this topic?

4. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That's totally fine - please just read the post first! :D (A lot of people ask the same questions even after I send that to them)

5. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    For me, taking quite a few practice tests helped more than anything else. I'd take a practice test and then go back through the answers to see if there were consistent mistakes that I was making. Then I'd work on correcting those problems and take more tests. In addition to pinpointing specific problems, I quickly became comfortable with the style and format of LSAT tests. Beyond that, just relax on test day and don't try to cram the night before. If you've done your prep work ahead of time, cramming isn't going to do you any good.

6. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
  7. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Agreed, not really planning on going to law school, but interesting regardless!

8. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Having gone through this recently after being out of school for a while, I was going to write something, but Ryan already said everything that I was going to say. That's all good advice and just about everything you need to know.

9. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
  10. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  11. jheppner

jheppner Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    NY
    thank you ryan

12. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    For the advice or the TR?

Hope it's the former...

:D

13. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Wow -- that makes you some sort of internet celebrity :D

14. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I made a minor meme - the highlight I guess is that it was printed in Maxim. I should do a mockumentary about a guy who makes one slightly known internet graphic or animation, then is obsessed with creating a second, even more successful image.

15. jheppner

jheppner Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    NY
    Well i just took the test today. Not really sure how i did. I did either really good or really bad because i felt like knew most of em but was second guessing myself on some answers. Realistically i am hoping for a 160. Anyone else on F-Chat take the LSAT today?

16. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    You should be able to translate a little of your ACT / SAT over to the LSAT. If you test well, you probably did fine on the LSAT. Prep can definitely help, but it's not like the MCAT where you need to know any material before taking the test.

Good luck though :)

17. BriSalig

BriSalig Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Congrats on taking the test today!

I know how you feel---I took the LSAT last year at this time, and it is one of those tests that is impossible to gauge. You should know based on prep test performance, however I found that the "modern-day" LSAT is very, very different from the older prep tests. In my opinion, tests 0-40ish are are ineffective when used as a tool to predict your game day score. Some sections are a little easier, and some are much, much harder now.

Congrats on taking a big step towards Law School. I bet it feels nice to relax now that you got that worry off your back.

Enjoy the feeling, I am jealous. I am midway through my 1L law school finals right now, so no relaxing for me :(

18. the-deuce

the-deuce Rookie

Nov 8, 2005
    i took it yesterday as well
    ran out of time for section 1, but after that i got in a better groove.
    i didnt expect the time to go by so quickly... maybe i would have been a little better off if i did a little bit of prep

19. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You took it completely cold, with zero prep? Was this just something you did on a whim? Must have been something special, especially to warrant your first post on Fchat after four years of lurking.

20. the-deuce

the-deuce Rookie

Nov 8, 2005
    #20 the-deuce, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
    Pretty much on a whim yes.
    And I wouldnt say four years of lurking, more like registering four years ago for a reason I can't remember and then an extended absence.
    Just started re-lurking a couple of weeks ago.

Also, this thread was my second post. OT posts dont seem to raise the count.