456 dreaming..... | FerrariChat

456 dreaming.....

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by CliffBeer, Nov 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    So my wife and I made an agreement with regards to having more children - I wanted more, she wasn't too enthusiastic...she ended up bringing two wonderful identical twin girls into the world, in addition to our two other kiddos. And, now it's time for me to pay up (willingly). The understanding was that she would get a new car of her choice. She really, really likes the 456 and that's just fine with me other than the fact that she tends to collect parking lot dings pretty easily.

Seems to me the 456 is a really underrated V12 ferrari and prices are attractive right now for a decent one. It looks like the later (2000 and later) cars with the various improvements over the original 456 go for $10-20K more. So what I'm wondering about is are the later 456s worth the price premium, or is the difference slight? My wife is no speed demon and it'll be mostly running out to the shops and the grocery store a few times a week when she doesn't have to tote the kids around in the Suburban. I'm unsure - perhaps a less expensive early car will be better given her inclination to scuff up the bumpers and such with parking lot dings. One thing I am sure of: she's not about to change her driving style, or park way out in the (less occupied part of the) parking lot.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

2. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    The later cars are definitely much better and IMHO worth the premium.

W.r.t. dings and scoffs, well, tell the wife to take it easy. You can spray paint easily enough but Ferrari panels are very very expensive.

Congrats on the twins!

Onno

3. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

The M or "modified" ("modificata") cars are 1999 model year and after.

Well worth the premium.

Automatics are a steal.

4. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #4 2000 456M, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
    The M is definitely worth the incremental cost. I've heard that the earliest M's (m.y. 1999) may have more commonly had the "window gap" problem. the 1999s also lack the center engine cover with chrome cavallino between the cylinder banks. And, yes, the automatics are a steal and work well with the car's overall personality, especially doing errands around town, stop-and-go traffic, stopping on hills, etc.

5. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
  6. rachidbaligh

rachidbaligh Karting

Dec 18, 2008
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Rachid
    I'm confused! Are you looking for a 456? or do you own another one also? because I see it listed on your profile as your personal Ferraris...

7. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Cliff, I did quite a bit of digging on that car over the summer when Aristocrat motors was sellng ig (for $50k). Records seemed sketchy. I got some good ones assembled and it might be a great car, but I just had red flags going off. I can find my info if you want.
    Also, don't pay over 50 for that car. The current dealer got it from Aristocrat after they couldn't sell it and promptly raised the price 10k!!! Idiots.

8. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Hi - we had a deal fall through on one recently. Now it's time to get the job done and get one in the garage. Time for me to pay up so to speak!

9. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Hi Eric, thank you, that's some good background information. Much appreciated. Did you happen to see the car in person as well? Just wondering how the cosmetics stack up....??

10. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    I wouldnt consider this for 2 reasons:
    1. The seller describes it as "SPECTACULAR CONDITION". My a$$. Look at the leather on the airbag door.
    2. Kumho tires? Tells me that the previous owner or the whoever put them on was cheap.

11. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #11 2000 456M, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
    While one should be cautious, I wouldn't dismiss the car out of hand. "Puffery" by a seller, especially a business, is considered par for the course and is to be expected. Yes, the leather on the airbag door has shrunk. All it takes is for the dealer to leave it out in the lot during the summer for a week and the interior heat will do the damage, so I don't think that's dispositive evidence of an abusive or lacksadaisical owner.

As for the Kumho tires, I think that's another quick rush to judgment. I note that the wheels are non-stock, and look like BBS, moderately expensive aftermarket wheels (not Novitecs, of course), but more than that, they are substantially larger in diameter than stock, maybe 19s or 20s. The owner may have wanted to get tires for a single purpose on those wheels and was looking for extreme summer dry traction. Kuhmo MXs are rated very high in that category by the TireRack survey, so that may have driven his decision.

As always, the prospective purchaser should be very cautious, get a PPI, carfax, etc. and try to get a car for the true bargain it is. Who knows? it could be this one.

12. vnttg

vnttg Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2007
    CA
    I agree with 2000 456M. By looking at this one, I can say that somehow this one looks better than my (former) 2000 456, although mine has less than 12,000 mi and I was the second owner. Do a PPI.

13. tendeu

tendeu Karting

Dec 1, 2009
    Never forget, for more than 456 car is a''high ground''is still a Ferrari, if you go over potholes, bumps, etc, the car will scrape, it will damage the suspension because it is a Car and delicate. But if I were you I would buy.

14. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
  15. jrinehart

jrinehart Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2009
    Chambersburg, PA
    Full Name:
    John Rinehart
  16. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    I want to mention that some people prefer kuhmo's over pilot sports etc. due to the soft nature of the tire.. and increased grip.. honestly it's a good tire.. it just so happens to be cheaper.. doesn't make it bad.

17. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i orignally thought that my wife could drive the 456 when i got another car. she drives manual pretty well, and i was only ever going to get the gt anyway.
    but then she re-arranged the caddy yet again (this after doing this (and totalling) to countless other mercedes, her usual drive)...and i thought better of it.

the front hood on the m is made of carbon fiber, and costs stupid money to replace. i recently got nudged by a van from behind and it didnt doo much damage at all and only to the soft bumper part...still cost 3.5k to fix. its still a ferrari, things cost money. maintenance costs money too.

so either get her a merc, where you wont feel so bad about all the dings and dents. OR, despite the fact that the m is a better car all around, an early 456 gta is so incredibly cheap that i would go that way for the purposes you describe. now, find a good one...that might be a challenge.