Ferrari F40 Barchetta???? | FerrariChat

Ferrari F40 Barchetta????

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by azzkikr9, Dec 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azzkikr9

azzkikr9 Karting

Nov 2, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mr. G
  2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    As one of the sources cited is Ferrari Chat I assume the treads here would be the place to start.

Sage/Burleys is an interesting guy but I don't know this car personally except through Ferrari Chat.

Funny crack about P 4/5.

Best

3. azzkikr9

azzkikr9 Karting

Nov 2, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mr. G
    Thanks Jim, I'll run a search and see what I can find on F-Chat. I was googling for an 'F50 Barchetta' and didnt realize I had hit 4 instead of 5, surprisingly this came up...I'd never heard of this car before, and if such car did exist with its birth on a ferrari factory floor it would more than likley have been headed for Brunei (still dont know of all the rarities that lie in those warehouses).

P.S. Heading to Cavallino or anywhere near there in January?

4. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    If I recall from the thread here it is NOT a real LM, just a "regular" F40 that was rebuilt after crash damage like that....

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    This year I'm skiing the Monsters in January.

6. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    That's fantastic.

The world's fastest go-cart.

Someone P-shop Mario in there, please.

:D

7. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
  8. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Jean Sage and Jean "Beurlys" are two different people

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I think the article by Jalopnik is a good one, because not only do they recognize that chassis number 79890 is essentially a privateer conversion of an F40, but they touch on the fact that there are multiple stories of its life that exist all claiming to be fact. Like a cat with 9 lives, this car seems to change form every time it resurfaces in somebody else's hands.

All that said, I think it is a very cool track weapon

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    My bad.

Was referring to:

"Overall, this chassis was fairly successful in its racing life and was eventually bought by Belgian-born billionaire, car collector and some-time racer, Jean Blaton, who raced under the alias, Jean Beurlys."

What is this car?

Kit/IMSA?

Cut F 40?

Cut F 40 LM?

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Jean Sage was the Ferrari of France team manager. Jean Blaton was the collector/gentleman racer. Actually I should also correct myself and say that he raced under the moniker "Beurlys", alone, and not Jean Beurlys.

This car is one of those "whatever you'd like it to be" cars. I'll settle for any of the above!

12. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #12 bigodino, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jean Blaton owned a real F40 LM, s/n 88520. He had it at the same time when he first came out with the yellow F40 race version, then still in berlinetta guise. It had the shape of an F40 LM on steroids (predating the GTE version) and an F40 engine but the suspension looked more like a testbed for the 333 SP.

I have a hard time to believe that Blaton bought a second real F40 LM (79890) to convert into the yellow special. And why would there be such a non-Ferrari chassisnumber attached to it? (F4-001)

What do the experts say?

Best regards,

Peter

p.s. here are some scans of pictures I took of F4-001 when it appeared during the Spa Ferrari Days in 1994. 88520 was present at the very same event.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Peter: I on the other hand doubt nothing and believe everything is possible when it comes to car collectors and their often eccentric courses of action! Some of the things collectors do often defies logic to any level-headed person. Without being very helpful to your cause, I would simply say that each individual car has a specific history, and until it is researched & investigated, its hard to say why certain things were done, and even then the facts of ownership and specification changes often still do not explain the "why". Thanks for the pics though, fantastic images!

14. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Peter, I am not an expert but 79890 is still an original LM and was for a couple of years ago still in France (see F40 LM GTE thread for a photo)

15. Pascal D

Pascal D Rookie

Nov 12, 2008
    Houthalen Belgium
    Full Name:
    Pascal Dupont
    I took me almost 2 years to find this car, but in june 2009 I went to the garage where it is serviced and took some pictures.

According to the mechanics the s/n is 79890, but I will send them an e-mail and ask if this can be confirmed.

I'm converting a 1/8 scale Pocher F-40 into the F-40 "Beurlys", the build log with some of the pictures that I took in june are here : http://www.f1m.com/main/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10427

Greetings

Pascal

16. dinges

dinges Karting

Jan 1, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Aram
    Aha, of course you are here too hahaha.

Greets

Aram.

17. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Can't be that VIN, as mentioned, that car is a real LM and still has its roof....

18. Pascal D

Pascal D Rookie

Nov 12, 2008
    Houthalen Belgium
    Full Name:
    Pascal Dupont
    Where is the s/n located on an F-40 ? Only on the plaque ? Or is it also visible on other parts of the car ?

Greetings

Pascal

19. gregmour

gregmour F1 Rookie

Dec 17, 2005
    Valréas / France
    Full Name:
    GREGORY
    F40 barchetta was made with regular F40.

Engine with 780hp by michelloto and carbon chassis done by coloni.

The car is actually for sale

20. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  21. Pascal D

Pascal D Rookie

Nov 12, 2008
    Houthalen Belgium
    Full Name:
    Pascal Dupont
    The car is not with MMC in Paris, but it IS for sale (or it was in june). I know its current location, but I promised not to tell anyone.

I've send an email to my contact in Italy, he will contact Coloni for more info.

Stay tuned, we will get there eventually :)

Greetings

Pascal

22. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #22 bigodino, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. azzkikr9

azzkikr9 Karting

Nov 2, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mr. G
    This is great fun guys, I'm glad you are all turning up to track down exactly what is going on with this car. I posted the thread as I came across this car on a google search by total accident...I wanted to learn a bit more about the car and see if it could be compared to what the Breadvan (s/n 2819) had gone through with Count Giovanni Volpi. As you all recall, that was not considered by many to be a real Ferrari and alas history has proven that ideology wrong.

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The Breadvan is a little different, with its defined creation, competition, and ownership history.

Consider too that the Breadvan was also a complete revision of the 250 GTO, whereas this F40 Barchetta is less of a departure from its original incarnation than the Breadvan was.

25. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Just wow... I can't wait for your next update on the model... crazy! A few years ago I attempted to convert a Monogram 1/8th scale '65 Corvette coupe into a roadster with terrible result. Thankfully I have several of those kits stashed... I'll try again someday...