458-“Car of the Year” by top gear | FerrariChat

458-“Car of the Year” by top gear

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by arhimede, Dec 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    The Ferrari 458 Italia has scooped two prestigious awards from BBC Top Gear Magazine, one of the world’s most influential automotive magazines. Not only did the British monthly nominate the 458 Italia “Supercar of the Year”, but also, for the very first time for a Ferrari, the coveted title of “Car of the Year”. This brings Ferrari’s tally of consecutive BBC Top Gear Magazine awards to the astonishing figure of eight in seven years.

The Ferrari 458 Italia was revealed at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September to immediate critical acclaim. Following an extensive international media test drive programme in Maranello, the home of the fabled Prancing Horse, the car has been the subject of enthusiastic reviews, with its handling, roadholding, ride comfort and performance all being subject to the kind of superlatives rarely seen from the world’s leading journalists.

In electing the Ferrari 458 Italia as their Supercar of the Year, BBC Top Gear Magazine underlined how it has established “the new benchmark in getting from A to B as rapidly as possible.” They also described the 570-hp V8-engined berlinetta as “a game-changing car.”

When nominating the car for the overall top award as Car of the Year, the magazine described how it became “our winner because the scope of its abilities is absolutely breathtaking”, concluding that the Ferrari 458 Italia “isn’t just a worthy winner, it’s off the scale!”

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The only thing I can see wrong with this car is... it isn't in my garage now!

3. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    I was trying not to give that away when I quoted a few lines from the Top Gear mag over in the other thread! :)

4. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    I hope that we will see the car tested on top gear this season.

5. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    They seem to have been quite slow off the mark with the new Ferraris of late so I'm not holding my breath. And besides, if they do test it they won't be able to resist the urge to be all clever clever and ironic and will probably do something oh so funny like take it on the shopping run. They don't seem to be able to test a car anymore without being daft and Clarkson never lets a good review get in the way of the sound of his own voice.

6. treventotto

treventotto Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Alicante
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    Right, something like "it's just too perfect, too easy to go very, very fast".

7. solowmodel

solowmodel Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2009
    Seoul, London, VA
    Full Name:
    WK
    I'm pretty sure he'll say something like 'the electronics blah blah...' like he always does.

8. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Don't get me wrong the 458 is probably all that, but Top Gear is so biased towards Ferrari and Aston Martin it's sick. I could have predicted this the day the car was announced.

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Well they did like to drive the old blue 60's Ferrari convertible (275 GTS?) rather more than the 599.
    CH

10. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Superficially, its a big tribute to the 458. However, as the car hasn't been officially tested by anyone and no objective performance data have become available, their 'car of the year' award is premature and opinion biased. Frankly, I'm disappointed such an award has been made based on journalist drives and reviews. This doesn't mean I'm not a big fan of the 458.

11. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Watching the programme week in week out, including the endless repeats on Dave TV in the UK, they actually show more bias towards Lamborghini than Ferrari these days.

12. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Top Gear magazine isn't influential in the least - it is the lightweight of the UK car magazines.

13. Back Marker

Back Marker Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2006
    South
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I just want it stopwatch tested by ANYONE. I have yet to see any tangible numbers.

14. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Aston Martin, yes. Ferrari, no.

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +1! :eek::eek:

16. SpeedLimit?

SpeedLimit? Karting

May 19, 2009
    #16 SpeedLimit?, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
    Im on the fence about Clarkson. When he tested the 599 on the show he said he'd rather drive the 257GTS but when he tested it for his DVD he was in complete awe over how the car performed on Ascari's track. And judging by the unanimous praise of journo's after the press release, I think top gear would look rather foolish if they didn't give this car it's due.

17. Ferrari FXX

Ferrari FXX Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2007
    I was going to type the same thing. Clarkson personally drives a Gallardo. I watched an episode not long ago where they drove the 430, Zonda & Ford GT to France. Clarkson & Hammond kept trashing the 430s looks and what not.

18. Ferrari FXX

Ferrari FXX Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2007

LOL yeah, he was claiming the 599 was "too easy" to drive.

19. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I can't wait for a REAL test ,real numbers (versus "claimed") and all,getting bored with the "impressions"......

20. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #20 AlexO91, Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
    On Top Gear he did say after the piece he did that, and I quote "as a technical exercise, it's astonishing" and thats what he was saying in his DVD. Clarkson is a BIG Ferrari man, he even said when he was testing the 360CS that he likes to think of a Ferrari of a scaled down version of god, but he thinks most new Ferrari's have no sole (didn't say that about the Scuderia), they're all just about the science and maths to make them, technically the best car out there. And thats what he was saying about the 599, magificent technology but too many computers.

P.S. I do hope that TG test the 458 soon and if Clarkson tests it I garentee he will love it.

21. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    here is the other thing... JC is an entertainer... he entertains people for a living... he gets you to talk about the show and watch it... and had it just been another review of a great ferrari... we wouldn't be talking about it. Nobody really references the 430 tests... the coupe and convertible test... he said they were very very good cars... just get a coupe because nobody wants to see a "fat balding man" LOL

22. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yeah, he's sort of become an entertainer by accident because the original concept for Top Gear was a lads programme that men could talk about down at the pub other than football. If you look at the early episodes of the first series, there is hardly anyone in the audience and the jokes aren't very funny what so ever. It's only since they started going the challenges and become more popular over the 14 series that it's become to watch, and now of course not just men watch it, it's something for the whole family.

23. BAMF1

BAMF1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2009
    I dislike the prominence of the LCD dash A LOT!!! It reminds me of the Delorean and how it will look like dated dried out turd in a couple years...

24. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    +1. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Gallardo Spyder is about to leave the clarkson garage and be replaced by a new Ferrari!. :)

25. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thought he had Mercedes CLK AMG Black now? I don't known if he got rid of his Lambo but I assume he would have.