How's the ride quality? | FerrariChat

How's the ride quality?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Beanster, Dec 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beanster

Beanster Karting

Dec 5, 2009
    Mid Atlantic Area
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I've moaned and complained about the ride quality in several cars that I've driven and wanted to own. Not long ago, I drove a Cayman S with the sport suspension package. I swear the suspension was so stiff, I could feel if I drove over a bug on the road. Recently, I was driven in a GT-R and the suspension setting was on normal. I felt a jolt up my spine with every bump in the road. It was unbearable.

Having never been in a 360 (Modena), I'm wondering what the thoughts are on ride quality compared to other performance cars.

2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you don't like a Cayman S, you will not like any Ferrari.

Dave

Flea7, RedNeck and patina like this.
  3. MFC997

MFC997 Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    Bently Continental GT ... CL 63 ... Aston Martin DB9 ... Maserati Granturismo ...

4. hiros

hiros Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2007
    NorCal
    It is more comfortable than my 911 c2s, both in normal mode. Sports mode I feel they are about the same.

5. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo

Well stated and quite truthful.

Get a BMW.

6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    My F430 is more supple over bumps and rides better than my 997 Coupe.

7. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    430's rider quality is better than any other sports car.

Jackson32 likes this.
  8. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I would add the R8.

9. Beanster

Beanster Karting

Dec 5, 2009
    Mid Atlantic Area
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Interestingly enough, that's one of the other 2 cars on my short list (other than the 360)!

10. 4RE 360

4RE 360 Rookie

Nov 22, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Joe, I am a new 360 owner, but I can tell you that I flew to Florida and drove my 2001 360 Coupe to Maryland and it was a great ride, the longset that I drove at any one time was about 5 1/2 hours and I was extremely comfortable. It rides great and the engine is not too loud, but when you give her some throddle, the car rocks and sounds great. The radio works, if you decide not to listen to the purr of the engine, and the heat and a/c work great in the 360. Very comfortable, as far as I am concerned and I am 6'5".

11. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Car rides great I have a 03 360 spider. Comfy for a sports car. As with any I am sure age/condition of tires will greatly effect ride quality in these tight suspension cars...

My wife likes it & she has a 745LI bmw she uses as a daily driver..

12. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    In normal mode, the ride in my 360 coupe is completely pleasant and fairly quiet. Switching to sport mode nets much "sportier" ride just as intended. Not many cars allow you to choose the ride you want. Great car!

sparetireless likes this.
  13. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    #13 raywong, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
    "normal" mode and "sport" mode feels almost the same for my 6-speed in terms of stiffness. Is that normal?

ItalGerBrit likes this.
  14. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Not from my experiences when I had my 360. My wife refused to ride in my 360 with Sport Mode on as it made the ride noticeably more stiff.

My F430 has an awesome suspension which doesn't beat you up. My Gallardo and my 993 are both more stiffly sprung than the Ferrari.

Frank

15. dma550

dma550 Karting

Jul 6, 2009
    CT
    I always laugh when a SO won't ride in a car due to X or Y ;) This can actually be a plus depending upon your situation.

16. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Since the coupes are lighter and stiffer, the difference is more pronounced than in the spiders. Also, the smoother the road the smaller the difference. But get either one on a twisty rougher road and the difference becomes dramatic.

17. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Agreed... but having my wife like the 360 experience was an important component of the "let's buy a new F430" discussion:D I used Sport mode when I was in the car alone and switched it off when she was in the car.

18. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    That's quite possibly true. The 430 rides very well, especially considering the car's capabilities. Not to mention the front tire's very low aspect ratio.

19. Jetfire

Jetfire Karting

Oct 23, 2009
    Dallas San Diego
    Frank, I like how you think!

20. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My 430 has a harsher ride than my Cayman S which is quite soft for a sports car. I agree there is nothing disagreeable about a 430's ride but I will reiterate he won't like any Ferrari if a Cayman is too rough.

Dave

21. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I actually disagree with this. My F355 is way more supple of a ride than my BMW 330ci ZHP. And, when compared to an M3 it is even more of a win with the Ferrari.

Just my $.02 as I don't own a 360.

22. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #22 brokenarrow, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
    This is a race car driven on the streets, and I would tell you it drives like a cat with its tail on fire. If you want a luxury sports ride, this is NOT the car for you. Most of the guys on here have two or more cars, using the Ferrari when it's time to have fun.

In sports mode, it will rattle your fillings. But it will also corner at higher speeds better than any other car on the road. Accelerate in corners like the shuttle, make you smile even if you're wife has left you, your kids dis-own you, and you just lost your job.

This isn't just a car, it's an experience reserved for pathetically car crazy people. If you didn't like the Cayman's rough ride, may I suggest another ride.

I own a 360, and it is and has been the most fun sports car I've ever owned, without a doubt. But then I am an OCD, maniacal sports car person. Oh, and I don't like the 430 as much (just my opinion).

23. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    ugh I would have your car checked.. it is very noticeable for me.. so much so I turn it off if I plan to go over some rough pavement as it will rock you around the cabin

24. RobNYC

RobNYC Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2009
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Robert S
    I have an 04 360 Spider and the difference in sport mode is dramatic. Living in the city I switch it constantly depending upon the road condition. My 360 rides pretty well, a little stiffer than the Boxster S in sport mode.

BMWs with run flat tires ride like crap. I had to go down a rim size and increase the aspect ratio to make it bearable. This brings me to my next point, tire choice and aspect ratio can greatly impact ride quality.

25. MFC997

MFC997 Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    That brings up an interesting point. I've heard the 430 is a little more "GT" than the 360. Having not owned either (yet) is that just a lil' turf war or is there something to it ... ???