BBR SP1 in 1:18 | FerrariChat

BBR SP1 in 1:18

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by bigodino, Dec 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #1 bigodino, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. johneli1

johneli1 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2006
    Hampshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Hmm - great model of not a great looking car

3. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    My first impression wasn't to good either...

When I received Cavallino with a magnificent photoshoot of the SP1, I changed my mind!
    Its a very well balanced design, something I can't say about the California or the 458!

1:18 is not my scale, but the 1:43 BBR is on order!

4. johneli1

johneli1 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2006
    Hampshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I just think it looks a bit 'lardy' around the rear 3 quarters. I think the 458 looks great - we're all different and I guess 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'! ;-)

5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    It's not my cup of tea either. What I don't understand is how it's possible to have this car released so soon while we're still waiting for the 512 BB/LMs to hit the stores? Or is this a sealed model?

6. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Something about the picture doesn't look right, but I really like the real thing. This would be cool to have but that price is so high for me! :D

7. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    This is a curbside modell in resin, like 430gt2's.
    Not the same line as the Highend Chinese made Enzo, 430, 375plus and 512BB-LM's

8. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    But it's priced higher? Go figure...

9. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ohhh, so this is the RESIN Chinese model with half the detail for twice the price, I see.
    Since I don't buy my models with the intent of selling them, but rather to enjoy them, the origin of a model is not important for me, as long as it warms my heart.
    Like someone already said "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". To me personally the SP1 is hideous and anything but balanced. It adopted everything that I hate about the F430 and the California and none of their pluses. It lacks any grace in design that is usually associated with Ferrari. It is by no means a bad looking car, but it does not even come close to the 458 or the 360 even. Just my opinion.

And Moriaan, please, I understand that you like to collect rare models in odd scale, but please stop bashing at any given chance all the more mass produced models. At the end of the day a mass produced "chinese" CMC Ferrari is a piece of artwork compared to any resin model on your shelf. Nothing personal, just stating the facts.

10. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    #10 moriaan1, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
    Lucky,
    please read my post again!!

It is/was not my intention to bash anything! Nor did I mention the value or the fact that they are made in China!

I only wanted to point out that BBR makes different series of 1:18 models!
    The "high"-end series that are made in China (its the actual name of the series), and the project18 curbside-series that are made in Italy.
    Both are perfect modells, and so are CMC and GMP!

There is nothing wrong with Chinese or Italian made models!

In fact, I have 1:18 BBR's!!!!

You are personal, and "your" facts are wrong!!

11. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Resin models are more expensive to make and laborcost in Italy is higher.
    The number made is another thing that drives the price up..
    (its a project18!)

Hans

12. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks for the explanation Hans. I didn't know BBR had different factory lines (Italy, China).

13. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
  14. Ferrari-Sammler

Ferrari-Sammler Karting

Nov 3, 2005
  15. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    You see California in the SP1? Really?

I respectfully but wholeheartly disagree. Massproduced 1/18 has got nothing on handbuilt 1/43. Not even slightly close.

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Wheels are so small !

17. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael

1. I don't see a particular California element in the SP1. But it has the same heavy ass especially from the angle on the picture.

2. I am not talking about comparing $100 Mattel Elite crap in 1:18 with limited MR in 1:43.
    I was talking about Resin models in 1:14 for example, with inaccurate lines, poor fit and huge panel gaps that cost more than a mass produced Chinese BBR, just because they are made in small runs of couple dozens.

And please don't mix the two. I have nothing against one-off models with huge price tags, whether they are accurate or not. If this is what someone likes to collect fine. I also agree that such models have their own charm. I admire Moriaan's collection of odd scale models (I am not talking about his 1:43 models as they are spectacular by any standard).
    What ticks me off is, when someone insinuates that mass produced models are crap (some of them really are) in general. It reminds me of the arguments I have witnessed here and elsewhere about '60's Ferraris being "real" and modern ones being "FIATs". I think that a 355 is as much a Ferrari as a 330 even for a fraction of the price, just like a Kyosho's F40 in 1:43 is as good (actually better) than the BBR's for a fraction of the price.
    In this regard my facts are correct and Moriaan, please believe me, there is nothing personal against the models in your collection or yourself.

18. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    There is nothing against a mass produced modell, wherever it comes from as long as its good! Another thing is WHEN, HOW and by WHOM its produced.
    Its difficult to compare a fully handmade item to any recently made modell.
    Techniques and materials have advanced incredibly over the last 20 years.
    Early BBR's are not that great right now, but at the time, they were fabulous!

Every collector has his own preferences and favourite manufacturers.
    It makes the hobby as exciting as it is, and places like this make it possible to share and discuss all aspects involved.

19. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Ah, in that case I misunderstood. I agree with your point of view.