$$ for a really nice 1987 911 Targa | FerrariChat

$$ for a really nice 1987 911 Targa

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Shark Sandwich, Dec 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Karting

Jan 22, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Full Name:
    Arthur
    Hello all,

What's the state of the market right now for a really nice, close to concours 1987 911 Targa, 40K miles w/service records. Fuchs, partial leather, all correct as per CoA. I'm pondering one from a private owner, not a dealer.

Thanks,

Art

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  3. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The targa top would be a deal breaker for me. However, if you can purchase the car you describe for 22K it's a very good deal.

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
  5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#5 Kds, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
    How are all of the rubber and fabric covered targa seals and what is the condition of the top like, and how does everything seal up in the wet and at high speed ? If everything needs replacing and recovering........there's $5K right there.

Also, what color is it ?

Have you had a PPI ?

Can you back it up to the computer so I can hear it run ?

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Frankly, I have dealt with Sloan before. I don't understand how he does it. His prices are "eight miles high." Then again, I sold him a car. I didn't buy one from him.

Dale

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

a friend of mine bought a very nice facory turbo look cab from richard. it was completely and properly as represented and at the end of the day, a nice buy. not the cheapest but no excuses.

pcb

8. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Karting

Jan 22, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Full Name:
    Arthur
    White, clean PPI, good leak down, 45K valve adj. done at a very reputable area shop, Targa redone by a Targa restoration shop a few years ago, fits and looks very good, as quiet as you would expect a Targa to be at speed.

Art

9. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think that's what you get from him, and also from Ray Joseph at RPM in Houston. You're going to pay a few grand more, but for that you don't have to worry about unpleasant discoveries upon delivery.

It depends on whether you want a 1987 911 Targa because it's cheap, or want a great 1987 911 Targa and money isn't the deciding factor.

10. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Karting

Jan 22, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Full Name:
    Arthur
    I tend to agree with you Bullfighter, as I do most of your posts. Remember this though, Richard Sloan gets those "great" cars from somewhere, and if one combs all the usual, AND unusual sources, sometimes you can find a car like we're talking about and buy it from a private owner before it ends up at a dealer with a 25% markup. ... sometimes. I've found that the greatest condition, concours cars typically change hands without ever being even advertised, much less sold to a dealer, and then resold.

Art

11. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

you are correct. there are certainly lots of 911's for sale in the 78-89 vintage...many for a great price.

but, a really great 78-89 is not so easy to find and i agree with you as to how many of them transact.

pcb

12. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#12 Kds, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    Art.......

White is an off color in my market........but I'd expect it to be listed in the high twenties in USD (depending upon the sellers financial motivation obviously)..........sounds like it truly needs nothing mechanically.....which is rare, as the usual 911 deferred maintenance usually turns up on a PPI. Nice that the targa top and seals are OK. Personally, I like these targas over coupes.

Sloan doesn't own all of his cars shown for sale, even thought his site used to infer otherwise, and I see it has now been changed to reflect the truth. I've had several Porsche owners with cars for sale tell me that he has poached their private ads from the internet and put them on his site without permission. His prices are a joke.....as PT Barnum used to say.......

Ray Joseph at RPM is a guy I would not hesitate to deal with again. He runs a first class up front operation all the way.

13. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Definitely, if you can find them first you're in the driver's seat (literally and figuratively).

One key to a great deal on a great car is to find one that's "geographically undesirable" -- i.e., stuck in a private garage surrounded by two feet of snow in a state without Internet access. You do have to know somebody who knows of somebody to pull this off.

14. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Karting

Jan 22, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Full Name:
    Arthur
    Thanks for all of the info and opinions guys, certainly helps in the thought process.

To further confuse myself, I've also come upon a fully documented, 1 owner 10,000 mile 1986 944 Turbo, 09/85 build date. One of the first ones, original owner. As an FCA judge, I looked over this one as if I was judging it, and it looks every bit the part.

I humor this one only because I also have a 1979 924 that I bought from the original owner that had 17,000 miles on it when I found it, it is a 4-time PCA Parade winner in class, has been featured in Panorama and Excellence magazines. I have won every concours event (in class) that I've ever entered it in, the latest being the Hemmings invitational in Stratton VT (See Pg 38 of the Oct. 09 Hemmings).

... having this Turbo to go with my beloved 924 would cement my status as a complete front engined maroooon ... :) :)

Art

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #15 thecarreaper, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i bought this 85 Targa with 58k documented miles for right around the prices stated. i then bought a 87 slopenose Cab.... could not decide which one to get. :)

these cars drive great!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It's tacos versus chow mein... (or wienerschnitzel versus kugel, or whatever)

I would go for a really nice Targa -- I think the prices are stupidly low. and the build quality was quite good. I would even take an average-plus one and use it as a daily driver (being in San Diego). What else can you buy for $30K that's interesting, reliable and depreciation-proof?

I'm sure the 944 Turbo is great, but as soon as you start driving it you lose the whole odometer "halo".

My two pfenning...

17. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    And they look great with the blacked out targa bar, that started with the SC's, IIRC.

The side graphic is officially cool again, having been revived on the newer GT3 RS.

18. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    i think about 27-28 range if he is not anxious.

19. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #19 thecarreaper, Dec 9, 2009
    yep, i added the graphics a few days after i got the car. i would like to put the duck tail on it, but i am torn because it was ordered with the turbo tail, and i dont want to go messing with such a clean original car. still has the factory radio and alarm. everything works, hence why i dont want to mess with it much.

been playing with the Slopenose getting all the little things working / fixed.

these cars drive great. all i need is a beater 308 GT4 or carb GTB, and my collection is set for awhile.

20. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#20 Kds, Dec 9, 2009
    Michael......

That car would never have been deliver when new with the 930 tail on it from the factory.

There is a rubber tipped tail specific to the Carrera. Porsche was very fussy about the aerodynamics and would have refused to do so. Here is the correct OEM Carrera tail.

21. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Weird, that picture was taken in my home town...

22. Helios

Helios Karting

Dec 9, 2003
    Maryland

The car in the photo has the original "Whale Tail"; the larger 930 rear spoiler has been called the "Tea Tray."

The original Turbo sported the Whale Tail, then got the bigger unit in I think 1978 to accomodate a larger intercooler. The Whale Tail reappeared during the 1984-89 Carrera run as a Sport Package item.

Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong.

23. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i know, i had an 89 anniversary carrera in the rare black metallic color. the targa had the tail installed by the dealer when it was delivered, so " as new". i would rather have a duck tail or Carrera tail, as the turbo tail looks funny on a narrow body car. i do agree with you, but i am still torn as to changing a thing on the car.

thank you for the clarification! :)

24. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    yes, my Targa has the sport suspension and sport package. not sure why it lacks the "sport" seats, i love those things. :)

anyway, a good targa is a fun car ! ( cough.... back on topic ....)

25. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have an 85 Targa with sport seats and (I think) sports suspension, but the narrow tail and no spoiler. It has 90k miles on it, and I've owned it since 1991. I'll probably own it for the rest of my life.