Fuse Blocks/Relays | FerrariChat

Fuse Blocks/Relays

Discussion in '308/328' started by David Lind, Dec 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    1. I have a 1988 1/2 Mondial 3.2 (80,000 mile daily driver), & I've just started having random electrical problems. My fuse blocks appear to befunctioning only intermittently. I have received 2 of the original manufacture and, frankly, I think they are unreliable. Is there a known and proven source for another manufacturer? I have read about Birdman's, but I think his are not for 3.2 vehicles.

2. Is there a significant difference between fuse blocks which are designated as 30/20 and those which are 30?

2. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    David,

Do a search and you will find several threads on the issues with Modial fuse blocks. Because of the laminated circuit board design, it has been relatively difficult for anyone to come up with an economical replacement or repair alternative (in contrast to the Birdman 308 fuse block upgrade that simply does not apply to the Mondials). Unless the replacement fuse block project has finally moved forward to fruition, you have basically two alternatives for a defunct Mondial fuseblock:

1. Buy a good used one, if you can find one (and pay a lot of money for it); or,
    2. Buy a new OEM replacement fuse block, if you can find one (and pay even more money for it).

Hopefully, someone from the Mondial fuse block repair/replacement project will respond and save the day here.

3. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Thanks! I'll try to resurrect mine.

4. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms

They are repairable but discussing it is not allowed

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Lets see. I get ***** because I don't tell enough people how to fix their car and you get ***** because you say too much??

What are we doing here again?

6. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Suffice to say, we just get *****. :)

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    OK, what did I miss? Why can't we discuss fixing the Mondial fusebox?

Last I heard the only way to deal with this was to have it rebuilt by GT Car Parts. I have no experience with them, have no idea what it costs or if it's any good. Clive was going to make a replacement, but I never heard squat about it after about a year ago.

From what I know, the 3.2 fusebox is the reliable one with blade fuses, as opposed to the early 8/QV boxes that used those nasty "euro" fuses with the conical tips. But I suppose all the original 3.2 fuseboxes are getting old and subject to the same delamination and breakdown as the earlier ones.

OK, am I in trouble?

Birdman

P.S. And no, unfortunately, mine don't work on Mondials.

8. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    I put a GT Car Parts one in my 82 Mondial 8 about 2 months ago(with the factory tsb mods to allow later box--3 wires disconnected and then some changes if you still want seat belt buzzer)
    Works great almost all electrical issues gone--need to chase the bad ground that causes the right turn signal to run fast when both headlights and brakes are on.
    Cost is about a grand.
    They are good to work with and it is sold with a need to return your old one.
    It uses a modern printed circuit board and the modern ATO fuses.

9. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    ... seems as if I started a s*%# storm w/o intending to. Thanks for the responses.

10. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    It's like living with a woman... <ducking, running for cover>

Rick